Why does Super Cruise travel take so long?

Well here's my epiphany:

It's because we can't SC between star systems.

Otherwise there is no reason why FD couldn't tweak the SC speed algorithms to allow much higher speeds as you leave the local gravity well, why we couldn't creep up to, say, 5000c instead of 500c when travelling between bodies in the same system. In fact, no real game play reason why you couldn't increase the speed at a geometric rate as you move away from a planet, moon or star.

OK, the hutton truckers might choke on their egg and chips but I think even they might (albeit secretly) enjoy being able to both cruise to any place in a star system and do so without their head hitting the keyboard from chronic sleep deprivation and/or boredom.

So why can't we? Well because if we could do that we would be then able to cruise on to the next star (which just happens to be in the next system along) in a reasonably short time, and currently if you do that you end up effectively in witch space, sitting at the position where there should be a star right in front of you but in fact you see nothing but space dust.

Now I'm not suggesting that we have to change the speed of travel between bodies orbiting the same star (much), but come on, once your more than 10Kls from the nearest astronomical object there is basically N.O.T.H.I.N.G to see, so at that point you could ramp up the speed as high as you need to make the next 30kls or 90kls or .22Lyrs a more reasonable gaming experience.

But to do that without the need for glass walls between the star systems, you'd need to be able to seamlessly SC from one system to the other.

Now I'm not saying that would be easy for FD to achieve, but I think if they could do it then it would greatly improve the exploration side of the game and also increase the CMDR traffic to a lot of systems in the bubble. And not to mention giving people the option of taking the scenic route to the next star along instead of always having to H-Jump.
Not sure about supercruising between systems.... wouldn't that take too long? And I don't know what you would do while in supercruise. There's definitely stuff to do while in supercruise within a system: checking out USS's (great for manufactured mats gathering, illegal cargo pickups, dropping in on pirates about to mug some poor trader etc!), getting interdicted by pirates (awesome if you're in an engineered battle conda!), making a cuppa..... just not sure what you would do in between systems. Pretty sure it would just be empty space, so could be very boring!

Well here's my epiphany:

It's because we can't SC between star systems.

Otherwise there is no reason why FD couldn't tweak the SC speed algorithms to allow much higher speeds as you leave the local gravity well, why we couldn't creep up to, say, 5000c instead of 500c when travelling between bodies in the same system. In fact, no real game play reason why you couldn't increase the speed at a geometric rate as you move away from a planet, moon or star.

OK, the hutton truckers might choke on their egg and chips but I think even they might (albeit secretly) enjoy being able to both cruise to any place in a star system and do so without their head hitting the keyboard from chronic sleep deprivation and/or boredom.

So why can't we? Well because if we could do that we would be then able to cruise on to the next star (which just happens to be in the next system along) in a reasonably short time, and currently if you do that you end up effectively in witch space, sitting at the position where there should be a star right in front of you but in fact you see nothing but space dust.

Now I'm not suggesting that we have to change the speed of travel between bodies orbiting the same star (much), but come on, once your more than 10Kls from the nearest astronomical object there is basically N.O.T.H.I.N.G to see, so at that point you could ramp up the speed as high as you need to make the next 30kls or 90kls or .22Lyrs a more reasonable gaming experience.

But to do that without the need for glass walls between the star systems, you'd need to be able to seamlessly SC from one system to the other.

Now I'm not saying that would be easy for FD to achieve, but I think if they could do it then it would greatly improve the exploration side of the game and also increase the CMDR traffic to a lot of systems in the bubble. And not to mention giving people the option of taking the scenic route to the next star along instead of always having to H-Jump.
The reason why there's a cap on the max supercruise speed was explained in great detail in a similar thread a few weeks back. Something to do with non-Newtonian physics and max speeds in contemporary sci-fi. So IMO the speeds are fine, tho on those big trips (e.g. the 135kly between stars in the same system) I would be happy if FD added the ability to jump between the stars, or to be able to accelerate a bit faster to max supercruise speed. Anything more than that would just ruin the perception of the truly epic scale of the distances between planets, and the colossal distances between star systems IMO.

That's the thing, though- unless an NPC spawns somewhere in the middle of nowhere, the supercruise mechanics mean interdictions tend to only happen at the start or end of a supercruise journey. If you fail to get in range to initiate the tether at the start of the journey, you wont ever be able to get in range until the target starts to slow down at the end of the journey. Because of this, those long supercrusie trips don't even really add that much more opportunity to be interdicted- just more wait time in between the two opportunities that already exist on the shorter trips. The ship could just skip that big wait time between the initial acceleration and the final deceleration, and very little would actually be lost from a gameplay perspective. The blunt-force ham-fisted immersion-via-waiting would be reduced, but that could be compensate for by having a dramatic distance-dependent visual effect for that "skipping the boring part" jump.

Initial accleration -> cool space-stretching audio-visual delight that's longer (as in a few seconds for short distances, and 10-20 seconds for long ones) and more dramatic the longer the distance its covering -> final deceleration. Equal amount of practical opportunity for interdiction, still conveys scale, makes good use of FDev's awesome audio-visual design capabilities, and cuts out a ton of needless waiting. You could even make it option if you wanted to. For instance, once you've completely the initial acceleration, a prompt could come up saying, "Press boost to initiate hypercruise mode (or whatever you want to call it)" You could do it if you wanted to get to your destination quickly, or you could continue to putter along if you wanted to take the scenic route.
Sounds good BUT then there's gonna be all those whiney threads from the "engineering sux" crowd 'cos they missed all the manufactured mats 'cos they pushed the "fast supercruise" button and flew right past all of the USS's! FD cannot win, whatever they do someone's gonna complain!

I'd be perfectly happy with long supercruise trips if they were full of interesting, exciting, and engaging gameplay. My gripe is not that they're long- my gripe is that it's a long stretch of no gameplay.
So checking out USS's (which are full of manufactured mats, illegal cargo, personal nav beacons full of useful data, pirates mugging traders etc), and fighting interdictions is "no gameplay"? Okay then, if you say so....

Oh yes indeed. Many people seem to be under the impression that "less bad" automatically means "good". It's like engineering- making us do less rolls to get a good mod didn't make the process of modding more fun; it just made us have to suffer through poor game design less.
Good grief, do you gave anything positive to say about this game??

They can't, since it's an exciting mystery where the target will be, full of exciting skill based gameplay to figure it out (point ship at nav beacon for X seconds, receive answer to mystery. SOMETIMES, point SRV at comms beacon for Y seconds, receive answer to mystery).
Are you this positive IRL? 😃

Yeessss, and people complain about Frontier's liberal use of handwavium, I bet the CCP OH&S for devs stipulates mandatory wrist guards.

Except Hutton isn't an edge case, it's just one of the more extreme edge cases. If you go out into the black you will find plenty of systems with secondaries orbiting at well over 100Kls, and the reality is that even for the ones close to the bubble, most of these will N.E.V.E.R be seen by human eyes.

And sorry but the argument that says we need long travel times so we can appreciate the vastness of space just plain ignores the fact that although it takes an hour to travel .22 light years to Hutton, there are ships in the game that can jump nearly 300 Light Years in 20 seconds.

And again, I'm not saying FD should get rid of SC, or even that they should speed up the current travel times between planets around a single star, just that as you move between distant stars in the same system the SC speed should increase significantly.

And to do that, FD will need to allow SC between systems, which will at the same time allow players the option to appreciate the vastness of space by way of a mind-numbingly monotonous journey.
Why the hell would anyone want to do that?

So checking out USS's (which are full of manufactured mats, illegal cargo, personal nav beacons full of useful data, pirates mugging traders etc), and fighting interdictions is "no gameplay"? Okay then, if you say so....
Sure, however, you have to spend a decent amount of time decelerating and accelerating into, and out of them.

As I said in a previous post, it's a little like if you had to slow down to a crawling speed as you approached every cave/dungeon in Skyrim, then crawl slowly towards max running speed as you left.

Currently in the game, if you nav lock a wingmates signal, and just max speed (it still slows a little) towards it, you can crash out really quickly into the 'instance' they are in, without the deceleration time, it's really good fun. I wish USS's worked like this.

Also, there's not that much in terms of signal sources 'out in the black' though I feel like that's a slightly different kettle of fish.

Jeez, why did this thing get exhumed?

Since this thread last disappeared I've actually changed my mind on how Frontier could best improve the SC experience.

The only problem I have with it is that it takes too long to get between stars in the same system, the time taken to get to outer planets is fairly reasonable, and appropriately conveys the sense of awesome scale without you falling asleep and face-planting your keyboard.

So I think the easiest thing for them to do would be to just let us hyper-jump directly to any star in a system, not just the main one.

Sure. 'Space is big' is no argument why going to Hutton should take 90 minutes instead five, ten or or fifteen. Or why it currently takes 90 instead of 900. It is just a throwaway phrase to defend the status quo.

In game design terms, any stretch of time spend doing nothing is garbage. So either SC should be drastically shortened, or we should have stuff to do. Allowing the scanning of a system during SC would have been an obvious massive improvement but for some reason FD completely missed that opportunity. Space legs is the next.
Man, I tell you what, if space legs turns out to be just "something to do while in super-cruise" it's gonna be an even bigger, more monumental, waste of time than I already think it will be.

I`ll just leave it here...

Not that this guys words, especially from that period of time, ever had much bearing on how the game actually looks and plays nowadays but here is David`s oryginal vision for Elite: Dangerous

Source: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9612CgOr3lE&t=5m45s
"You don't design a game to have really long, boring, frustrating sections in it" - Classic, obviously some of his design team (I'm looking at you Michael Brookes) didn't get the memo.

I`ll just leave it here...

Not that this guys words, especially from that period of time, ever had much bearing on how the game actually looks and plays nowadays but here is David`s oryginal vision for Elite: Dangerous

Source: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9612CgOr3lE&t=5m45s
Darned strange how Visions start out, and then never change as time progresses, isn’t it? Remember that vision you had when you were 9, of being an astronaut? How’s that working out for you?

(Collective “you” here)

Darned strange how Visions start out, and then never change as time progresses, isn’t it? Remember that vision you had when you were 9, of being an astronaut? How’s that working out for you?

(Collective “you” here)
When I was 5 I had visions of an asteroid or another galaxy colliding with Earth/Milky Way... Blame it on the Open University documentaries that the BBC used to show, I was more into those than the trash children’s TV shows.

Top Bottom