Why does Super Cruise travel take so long?

Not here:

An interesting paragraph:
'The latest official version is 0.9.8.0. As the development of a new version progresses, Romanyuk shares his development status on a regular basis.[11]In addition to expanding and completing the planetarium software, the developer has also expressed his intention to create games using the engine,[12] and to eventually license the engine to other developers.'

Not here:

An interesting paragraph:
'The latest official version is 0.9.8.0. As the development of a new version progresses, Romanyuk shares his development status on a regular basis.[11]In addition to expanding and completing the planetarium software, the developer has also expressed his intention to create games using the engine,[12] and to eventually license the engine to other developers.'
Correct, it has a game engine.

Yeah, except you realise of course that you aren't actually, you know, flying a space ship? if you want realism play KSP at time x1, I'm sure you'll find that a spectacular gaming experience.

Don't give me the "space is big" nonsense, as soon as you go over (or even near) C, you are in fairy-land and it is a simple choice between different game play mechanics.
When I'm playing ED I AM FLYING A SPACE SHIP. Otherwise there would not be any reason to play ED. Flying a space ship is the whole point of the game! 😆

The thing I hate most about SC is how long it takes to approach and get within safe jump distance to a station towards the end of your SC trip. I wish the game allowed us to be more aggressive in how fast we can approach at the end.

Supercruise doesn't need to go faster. If it was a bit more of an engaging activity, it could even be slower! If we had tools to help our navigation through the systems in Supercruise, such as an overlay showing the "density" of space (the "denser" the slower Supercruise) or tools that use the Orrery to plot routes to follow through the system, everybody might enjoy Supercruise more. Also, having the ability to have many of the pages that takes us out of the cockpit brought up as cockpit overlays without removing our ability to steer would be great. Some might have consequences to use at speed: The FSS might be hard to target when we are actively moving across the system; the Codex or map function might block the view of things we can run into or at least be slowed down by...

:D S

Superb. This is becoming the new FSS thread (now that’s been locked) which is ace because I don’t know about you but when I land in Shin and am faced with the great big long SC to Jameson’s, I like to put my feet up on the dash and read one of these threads to kill the minutes.

If we had tools to help our navigation through the systems in Supercruise, such as an overlay showing the "density" of space (the "denser" the slower Supercruise) or tools that use the Orrery to plot routes to follow through the system, everybody might enjoy Supercruise more.
Just fly above/below the systems plane, problem solved without needing to plot routes. Definitely speeds things up a lot and is a lot more involved if you enjoy making your flight path one smooth arc as I do.

Just fly above/below the systems plane, problem solved without needing to plot routes. Definitely speeds things up a lot and is a lot more involved if you enjoy making your flight path one smooth arc as I do.
That works well when the system is a simple disc. An overlay will make it even clearer then that all you have to do is get outside the systems plane to get to "thinner" space. Add a few more stars to the system at odd angles and with their own planetary systems, and it become less apparent. Since the bodies are also moving around, you might even see changes to the optimal route as you fly if they are in very tight orbits.

That works well when the system is a simple disc. An overlay will make it even clearer then that all you have to do is get outside the systems plane to get to "thinner" space. Add a few more stars to the system at odd angles and with their own planetary systems, and it become less apparent. Since the bodies are also moving around, you might even see changes to the optimal route as you fly if they are in very tight orbits.

It doesn't work well in "simple disc systems", it works in every system I've been to. While there may be systems out there where this isn't the most economical way to travel in SC, I have yet to see one, and it is certainly not worth Dev time to build a feature into the game to account for the rare freak systems where it would make sense.

Top Bottom