Why does Super Cruise travel take so long?

No, not really.
It's a software / program. It doesn't really matter in which section steam puts it.
I once used a terrain generator called Terragen. Is that a game as well?
As a game, Space Engine lacks as many sim aspects as Elite, depending on your point of view. And it doesn't really have anything that would make it a game.
Space Engine is like your personal planetarium.
All videogames are software / programs, people say it is a video game and it is sold as a video game.

Also, you don't need to have all of the sim aspects of ED to be a sim.

Sure there are other ways to convey scale, but those that are advocating anything near fast-travel/teleportation are neglecting to see that travel-time constraints do something else to the sense of scale that other methods can't do. It makes a hard limit to how spread out anyone can be. I mean, it makes it so some places can have a bunch of people pretty near-by and accessible, but if you fly far away (in either supercruise or across the galaxy) then you are separated by virtual "physical" space, making you truly remote and changing your risk assessment priorities--which is important for a game that wants you to be able to feel small and isolated in the vast terrain of our galaxy.

Making travel faster is not the answer. It may be the "easiest" thing to do to fix the frustrations lots are having but it fundamentally changes what distance and discrete location means in the space they built--especially since this is a multiplayer game. The only way to fix the frustrations while preserving the visceral sense of distance and the size of space (and the inherent challenges that distance and remote isolation face us as space-travelers) is to give us more to do/worry about/interact with during longer transits (space-legs around our ship can go a long way toward that here, but there's a lot that can be added across several mechanics to make long trips less hands-off-able)

Last edited:
Sounds like a riveting video game:

SpaceEngine is a realistic virtual Universe you can explore on your computer. You can travel from star to star, from galaxy to galaxy, landing on any planet, moon, or asteroid with the ability to explore its alien landscape. You can alter the speed of time and observe any celestial phenomena you please. All transitions are completely seamless, and this virtual universe has a size of billions of light-years across and contains trillions upon trillions of planetary systems. The procedural generation is based on real scientific knowledge, so SpaceEngine depicts the universe the way it is thought to be by modern science. Real celestial objects are also present if you want to visit them, including the planets and moons of our Solar system, thousands of nearby stars with newly discovered exoplanets, and thousands of galaxies that are currently known.
- Also it has spaceships.

You could simply search for it in the search bar...

Regarding the website, it is true that it doesn't say it is a videogame, the thing is there are other websites of videogames where they do not say "X is a videogame".
Thing is, he clearly refers to it as a planetarium, both on Steam and his website.
Anyway, this discussion gets too stupid. It's pretty clear that Space Engine isn't a video game but a galaxy simulation and I am getting tired of it. The software doesn't have goals, competition or challenges, ergo it's not a game.

Thing is, he clearly refers to it as a planetarium, both on Steam and his website.
Anyway, this discussion gets too stupid. It's pretty clear that Space Engine isn't a video game but a galaxy simulation and I am getting tired of it. The software doesn't have goals, competition or challenges, ergo it's not a game.
You know? There are simulators of everything, planes, computers, trucks, spaceships, etc. In fact, Space Engine falls under that category on Steam, ergo, it's a game.

I actually own another game that has no goals, no competition and no challenges, it's called everything...

You know? There are simulators of everything, planes, computers, trucks, spaceships, etc. In fact, it falls under that category on Steam, ergo, it's a game.

I actually own another game that has no goals, no competition and no challenges, it's called everything...
You can't really compare Euro Truck Simulator to Space Engine.

Top Bottom