What game are we all playing instead of E:D?

I hated the Loot system in that game. I remember the point I pretty much gave up on it. I'd had an enormous struggle of some sort and gotten to meet my father who gave me his sword of amazing and utterly profoundness it was a proud moment. Not 5 mins after that I've found some scrub bandit with a better one handing my backside to me.

Enough.

I hated the Loot system in that game. I remember the point I pretty much gave up on it. I'd had an enormous struggle of some sort and gotten to meet my father who gave me his sword of amazing and utterly profoundness it was a proud moment. Not 5 mins after that I've found some scrub bandit with a better one handing my backside to me.
Firstly; spoilers?

Secondly; I'm still using that very sword at level--- er, 62 or something.

On one hand Odyssey's upgrades economy is fundamentally broken... (or was. they may've tweaked it via updates) It's a game about accruing lots of loot, but you're punished for acquiring lots of it because you then can't afford to maintain their levels. Unlock a certain merc perk, and the cost's radically drop, but that's a hefty investment of time and effort (I think. I played it very slow, so I'm sure others could speed the merc progression up).

Nothing matters but Legendary sets, so once you've built - or simply bought - one or two to a handful of favoured sets, you're more or less set for the entire game. Treating the acquisition of loot in Odyssey as an acquisition of weapon and gear skins is more helpful; get Legendary sets, and then tweak the visuals as you see fit.

They also added a loadouts quick-select, so you can effortlessly switch between combinations of gear. You have to pay [in-game] coin to unlock them, because of course you do... but it's not too hard to unlock three (one per role; Warrior/Hunter/Assassin), and then you don't need the extra two slots.

As a quasi-A/RPG, Odyssey is a fairly fumbled, well-meaning attempt. But I think the incredible world design, pretty good writing (for an AC), engaging lead (at least with Kassandra), and solid story/stories easily carries it.

Yeah probably should've spoilered that it's been out ages now and sorta assumed the populace here would've played it by now if inclined.

It's still a poor loot system as least in my opinion.

"this land is my land" is out!
https://www.thislandmyland.com/

well, it's been more than 3 weeks already but i just got wind yesterday. i've been waiting for this like a kid before christmas for over a year, yay!

note this is unfinished, an early build, work in progress, tons of bugs, but it's already playable and testable. and it's looking damn good, imo.
just giving notice in case there is another sleepy nut like me around who might miss this :)

well, it's been more than 3 weeks already but i just got wind yesterday. i've been waiting for this like a kid before christmas for over a year, yay!

note this is unfinished, an early build, work in progress, tons of bugs, but it's already playable and testable. and it's looking damn good, imo.
just giving notice in case there is another sleepy nut like me around who might miss this :)
Had never heard of that game, it sounds awesome. Will definitively give it a try.

Last edited:

Can you play as a settler to keep it fair and balanced, or is this just a "kill whitey" simulator?

Can you play as a settler to keep it fair and balanced, or is this just a "kill whitey" simulator?
you can only play a (male) native. there have been voices asking for females, but i don't think gamelabs will indulge.

the game saves are called 'resistances' and track the days you survive and the % of land you manage to "take back". i've only played a bit so i have no idea if it's possible to get to 100%, but i wouldn't be surprised if the ultimate ending is always the full land grab and destruction of your way of life by the "whitey", so a few generations down the road can talk about fairness on the internet, dunno if that counts :D but imo that's how fair as it gets in such an historically themed game (with its many licenses, no doubt).

Last edited:
you can only play a (male) native. there have been voices asking for females, but i don't think gamelabs will indulge.

the game saves are called 'resistances' and track the days you survive and the % of land you manage to "take back". i've only played a bit so i have no idea if it's possible to get to 100%, but i wouldn't be surprised if the ultimate ending is always the full land grab and destruction of your way of life by the "whitey", so a few generations down the road can talk about fairness on the internet, dunno if that counts :D but imo that's how fair as it gets in such an historically themed game (with its many licenses, no doubt).
Honestly, the idea seems pretty dodgy to put it mildly. Would people be all right with a game about the settlers wiping out indigenous people? I think we all know the answer to that one. The weird part is that it's all the rage right now bashing CDProject Red for their handling of race & gender issues in a dystopian futuristic game world that was created for just that purpose of making people uncomfortable, while this game seems to be flying right under the radar because "whitey finally gets his" or sentiment to that effect. Rather disgusting imo.

Honestly, the idea seems pretty dodgy to put it mildly. Would people be all right with a game about the settlers wiping out indigenous people? I think we all know the answer to that one. The weird part is that it's all the rage right now bashing CDProject Red for their handling of race & gender issues in a dystopian futuristic game world that was created for just that purpose of making people uncomfortable, while this game seems to be flying right under the radar because "whitey finally gets his" or sentiment to that effect. Rather disgusting imo.
not gonna argue, i tend to ignore these pc debates. influencers gonna influence and parrots gonna parrot.

but there are very little games from a 'native' perspective, and that's even in a not so massive genre. can you be an apache in rdr2? you couldn't in rdr.

on the other hand, quite a lot of aaa titles, some quite popular, are just glorified revisions of the story of "war on terrorism" and have middle east or afghanistan or even vietnam as the usual scenario of liberation operations. yeah, indeed, nausea inducing even without vr ... but that's actually the dominant narrative.

gamelabs are niche, and completely oblivious to all that crap, and quietly go on making very original games, and always with a good effort on some historical setting: american civil war, age of sail and now american 'conquest'. this one is about stealth, wit and survival against huge odds, and it is indeed not a pro-american view so yes, this time the whiteys are the foe, as is appropriate for the context.

Had never heard of that game, it sounds awesome. Will definitively give it a try.
Now the question is, how the hell will I remember about this game when the Early Access is released since it's not on Steam (yet at least)? Don't want to pre-order just in case things go horribly wrong or it ends up being really bad, but I love Red Dead Redemption, so this is kind of right up my alley...

Now the question is, how the hell will I remember about this game when the Early Access is released since it's not on Steam (yet at least)? Don't want to pre-order just in case things go horribly wrong or it ends up being really bad, but I love Red Dead Redemption, so this is kind of right up my alley...
it's planned for late 2019, just check now and then. their marketing strategy is faint, to say the least. they're a small bunch and all seem to concentrate on actually making the game. they are quite active and open in their forum though. in fact i'm baffled about the progress they have made in this alpha, after just a very early announcement a year back. they have been very silent about this one.

a delay is indeed possible, i even expect it. updates are pretty frequent. radical changes and experiments summarily scrapped are to be expected too. it's a fun developer to watch, i've been following naval action for a while and looking forward for the same here. although the other good option is to just wait it out and experience it in its full glory when it's ready. i envy you :)

Little less peace pipe and maybe a little more inventing gunpowder would have gone a long ways to help the natives. Just saying.

While I do get where you're coming from, I see this only as indians vs settlers game that is simply played from "the other side". There is absolutely no shortage of games where we play the settlers/cowboys/etc and get to kill natives, now there is a game from the perspective of the natives. I didn't see racism in any of cases.

I'm not seeing this as a "getback on whiteys" thing, I simply see it as a "play an a native american" thing. Maybe that's because I hate the whole SJW thing, and as such I don't tend to see racism/homoxenotransphobia/misogyny everywhere and can still see this as simply a game, not an attack on some specific culture/race/gender/whatever. If the roles were switched (play as settler to colonize all of the indian lands), I would still be perfectly fine with it. It's a game. I actually like the fact you can finally play as a native, because these are so rare.

Of course, if I were one of those PC game "jornos" from Rock Paper Shotgun, or Polygon, or Kotaku etc, or some screeching SJW out to ban everything in the whole world in the name of "wokeness" and said this game is OK, then I would be a complete hypocrite. But fortunately I'm not.

Last edited:
I'm not seeing this as a "getback on whiteys" thing, I simply see it as a "play an a native american" thing. Maybe that's because I hate the whole SJW thing, and as such I don't tend to see racism/homoxenotransphobia/misogyny everywhere and can still see this as simply a game, not an attack on some specific culture/race/gender/whatever.
Same here, and I think its very good that someone finally made a game where we can play as natives and not cowboys/invaders not often we get a chance in this setting.
Definitely keeping my eye on this one.

not gonna argue, i tend to ignore these pc debates. influencers gonna influence and parrots gonna parrot.

but there are very little games from a 'native' perspective, and that's even in a not so massive genre. can you be an apache in rdr2? you couldn't in rdr.

on the other hand, quite a lot of aaa titles, some quite popular, are just glorified revisions of the story of "war on terrorism" and have middle east or afghanistan or even vietnam as the usual scenario of liberation operations. yeah, indeed, nausea inducing even without vr ... but that's actually the dominant narrative.

gamelabs are niche, and completely oblivious to all that crap, and quietly go on making very original games, and always with a good effort on some historical setting: american civil war, age of sail and now american 'conquest'. this one is about stealth, wit and survival against huge odds, and it is indeed not a pro-american view so yes, this time the whiteys are the foe, as is appropriate for the context.
In the original RDR you were definitely not on a rampage to kill natives, in fact, some of the site quests were about helping them.
I'm not against a historic setting, and this is hardly the most offending piece of media I've seen (like all those 'historic' movies depicting German soldiers as true nazis, while allied soliders as warm hearted humanitarians), it just looks quite cheap.

Hmmm...indigenous tribes rebelling against foreign invaders...Wondering when the 'Braveheart' game is coming out :censored:

Next will be the Celtic and Druidic tribes against Italian invaders...Boadicea...or Boudica whatever takes your fancy. They've changed how they spell her name at least 3 times since I was at school...

I suppose we could go further back into British history...the Picts V Gaels and Celts, the Celts V Vikings and Angles/Saxons...the Angles/Saxons/Vikings V the Normans...further back is covered by Far Cry Primal with the nice clean invading Homo Sapiens V degenerate, dying and retreating indigenous Neanderthals. Best of the Far Cry series by far if you haven't played it...2 words, Bee bombs ;)

Last edited:
Top Bottom