Newcomer / Intro What can I scope without a fine?

Ships blowing up all over the place.
Expensive sounding items floating about.
What can I scoop up without upsetting 'the man'?

Is there an easy way to tell?

Any materials/elements are fine and IIRC when you target anything else it will be described as illegal salvage if it is a no-no, you need to keep on your toes if you just dispatch a collector limpet as it will grab anything, if you do spot one bringing back something dodgy close the hatch.

Any materials/elements are fine and IIRC when you target anything else it will be described as illegal salvage if it is a no-no, you need to keep on your toes if you just dispatch a collector limpet as it will grab anything, if you do spot one bringing back something dodgy close the hatch.
On the other hand, it's only illegal if somebody catches you with it. :)

Because of this, and because I do a lot of Rescue collecting, I have ALL canisters on ignore.
I take stuff off ignore depending on what I'm doing.
Better safe than sorry.

So 'cannisters' are typically a problem?
Everything else is pretty much collectible?

Gosh, the Federales are so heavy handed.

Basically, was it someone else's cargo until they got blown up near you? Then it's probably illegal.

But the point above is valid in that you have to be caught with it to be a problem. If you scoop by accident, you can also jettison and abandon it before anyone scans you - or sneak it into a station without being scanned.

Well, there are only two types of things you can collect. Crafting mats (components, raw materials) and commodities. Commodities always come in 1t cannisters. You can collect crafting mats without any penalty anywhere. You can only collect cannisters that are abandoned (like after a crash on a planet) or came out of a wanted ship. Otherwise, in most jurisdictions, even if it floats in space it still belongs to someone.
So you can collect all materials and SOME cannisters.

With the cannisters comes another problem, of course - what's in them. Every faction has commodities they consider illegal and if you show up at their doors with those, even in legally salvaged (or bought) cannisters, they will fine you.

Well, there are only two types of things you can collect. Crafting mats (components, raw materials) and commodities. Commodities always come in 1t cannisters. You can collect crafting mats without any penalty anywhere. You can only collect cannisters that are abandoned (like after a crash on a planet) or came out of a wanted ship. Otherwise, in most jurisdictions, even if it floats in space it still belongs to someone.
So you can collect all materials and SOME cannisters.

With the cannisters comes another problem, of course - what's in them. Every faction has commodities they consider illegal and if you show up at their doors with those, even in legally salvaged (or bought) cannisters, they will fine you.
So if a pirate dumps his cargo that cargo is fair game?
If the pirate blows up an innocent, that cargo is NOT fair game.

Top Bottom