Newcomer / Intro What are you up to?

My Phantom is even sub-50LY, My DBX is just over. I don't like making my ships paper thin just for the sake of a couple of lightyears. I like proper shields, proper engines, extra SRVs, etc. So I can actually DO stuff with the ship. :D
U and me mate, i never went for "paper" configurations to get max jump but them have a ship that cant handle anything and doesnt take the basic tools of the trade.

Talking of extra slots... I can't wait to experiment with the ADC and SCA... not sure of their usefulness yet but a little play with new toys is always welcome!
I was watching D2EA's video on the new slots and what it means for the outfitting. Quite a lot. Especially with some of the small ships. The thing is that you can convert, say a class 3 prospector controller to a class 1 slot, and so on, freeing up the larger slots. That changes the possibilities in some ships radically. So right now I'm doing trial and error research over @ beta.coriolis.

My favorite ship, the Conda ofcurz, has the military slots, that somewhat mess up the down conversion, but I guess the challenges are one of the reason I like ED so much. Still something like this multipurpose Conda will be in my hangar, roughly 1 minute after the server comes back ;)

The Conda to rule them all?

(I have 5 Condas)

Then I could also sell my newly acquired Cutter, but hey, there's still room for more ships in my storage.

Last edited:
.......... this multipurpose Conda will be in my hangar, roughly 1 minute after the server comes back ;)
The first day after an update is notorious for "unexpected occurrences" - I shall only play my intended clear-save account, no others.

... just saying.

P.S. Have you copied your bindings into some where safe?

I might have to make a new backup :)

Edit: Observation. It took me 2 minutes to find the right folder, and 0.5 seconds to make a duplicate.

Thanks for reminding me (y)

Last edited:
I'll get to it one day I suppose
It wasn't as horrible as I'd expected and I recommend taking a couple of evenings for it, especially if you're serious about going deep into the black later. Next time you want to go anywhere far away, that 15-20% more range will pay you back for your time :)

Allow maybe half an hour of travel time, because the primary site is a fair ways out of the bubble, and I suggest a small or medium ship because the landable area is very tiny. If I went again, I'd take a DBX instead of a Krait.

My first run through the guardian site took much longer than it needed to because I didn't know what to look for. But I logged off/on to reset it, and subsequent passes were maybe 20-30 minutes each, once I understood where and what the pillars looked like. Only needed 2 runs total to have enough materials for just the booster, but I ran it a few times more to have a head start just in case I ever feel like doing the other unlocks :)

So I can actually DO stuff with the ship. :D
I know where you're coming from - but if the point of the ship is to explore, it does that task better if you dedicate to it :) It's never going to be an amazing fighter when you're giving up slots to DSS and SRV bays, so you never want to be picking fights, and a large cargo bay is a wasted opportunity for a big repair unit.

I mean, I wouldn't strip it down so much it can't boost because you're usually trading that boost for 0.1ly and it's not worth it - but an oversize shield is heavy, and hot, and both are counterproductive to fast travel across the galaxy ^^

Last edited:
It wasn't as horrible as I'd expected and I recommend taking a couple of evenings for it, especially if you're serious about going deep into the black later. Next time you want to go anywhere far away, that 15-20% more range will pay you back for your time :)
If I went again, I'd take a DBX instead of a Krait.
^That! And bring a point defense. You'll love that one.

The first day after an update is notorious for "unexpected occurrences" - I shall only play my intended clear-save account, no others.

... just saying.

P.S. Have you copied your bindings into some where safe?
Ahhhh. Good reminder. Normally, I start the game and wonder why my joystick isn't working. Or engage silent running then panic finding the off switch.

Note to self: copy current binds BEFORE downliading/playing.

+1 rep

In fact, FDEV ought make that a sticky here or a pop up on the launcher as a reminder/caution. You know, just for Justin.

Last edited:
Quite like the new ADC but I hope there aren't too many people in the queue to get out of a station and my timer runs out - kersplat time :D. SCA is a nice to have but I can see me shutting it off from time to time.

Lately, I've been fooling around with the old DC. After requesting landing, I overide the old DC in all sorts of crazy ways, and then throttled down. I've not been able to confuse it yet :)

In fact, FDEV ought make that a sticky here or a pop up on the launcher as a reminder/caution.
Or make the updater automatically backup your settings before it starts, and put them back when it's done.

I mean, in a game with this many controls, surely some priority needs to be on not resetting the player's customisations? :(

Too late for me, I left the game downloading and went out. Will be all over by the time I get home. Think I have a backup from about 2 weeks ago. It might be missing chaff, but at least it puts directional controls in places my brain understands them. (Roll on A and D, pitch and yaw on the mouse, if anyone's interested. Used this mapping since Battlefield 2 helicopters.)

Well, I did clear my save on my Alt account today, so I could try out the new stuffs. It was interesting. I left all the auto-assist junk on the Sidey, just to see how it all worked for a while. It was a bit strange to be in a cruise-controlled Sidewinder, I have to say. Somehow feels a bit too cushy. But it worked.

The Auto Launch is fine, although I'll probably never use it. Maybe if there's a ton of Belugas in the station, lol. It waited in the queue a long time before exiting the station. Supercruise Assist is less interesting to me. It's pretty limited, makes mistakes (at least it did for me in one case), and doesn't really help any more than the usual 6-second 75% rule. Maybe if you were going a realllly long way in Supercruise, and you might fall asleep and miss it, then I could see using it. For regular day-to-day though...probably not.

I dumped it and used the slot for 2 more tons of cargo space.

The game forces you into Open mode when you start, now. That's the only mode in the new starting areas. But no one shot at me, they were all too busy figuring stuff out I suppose. In any case, I made one jump and was already promoted to Penniless and able to leave the system. I just did the one starter mission, and stacked a couple delivery missions with it that were also going to that station.

You start out with about 7.5 LY range, and everything is within your range, so that does make it easier for a newcomer. I had to upgrade my FSD to get out of the starting bunch. Once I docked at a station outside the learner's area, my permit to that area was revoked. I left a module in there. I hope I can transfer it out, lol.

Anyway, it was amusing to get a feel for the new starter stuff. It's not hugely different, but it does seem like it would be a bit easier for a real newbie.

t9 does around 29ly
The supercruise autopilot could be useful for long-haulers. Kind of like cruise control for lorry drivers.
But the parking assistant, nah. I don't trust my piece of metal to keep itself from harm in presence of other pieces of metal. :LOL:
dc quite good now! since the last patch, I use the Dc on T9,and the dolphin.....I will test the ADC SDC soon.had noproblems with the t9 ,only when I try to guide it in manually...that scraping sound goes through your teeth :D

I asked in another thread, but because this has become my goto thread for advice, since the tone is friendly here: Does anyone have experience enough with ED updates to tell roughly when the FPS problem can be expected to be fixed? And is it sort of safe to say that it will be fixed at all?

I asked in another thread, but because this has become my goto thread for advice, since the tone is friendly here: Does anyone have experience enough with ED updates to tell roughly when the FPS problem can be expected to be fixed? And is it sort of safe to say that it will be fixed at all?
I saw the reports but have not experienced an issue. Still fluid and smooth in all conditions for me. I have GTX 1070 8GB running Ultra to a 2560x1440 monitor.

I was already squeezing it, running Oculus on a GTX 1060 3GB, but I had managed to get a decent fps using medium quality. It seems I'm not the only one looking at the issue tracker.

I used to do movies, so I got used to 24 fps. I'm not picky when it comes to fps :)

Edit: Speaking of, 24 fps. Going from 24/25/30 fps to 50/60 fps makes a huge difference, but when people say they are able to see any differences above (true) 90 fps, I come to think of the High Fidelity days, when people claimed they could hear the difference between two high end amplifiers. They couldn't. At one time one time Quad was given a bad review in a HiFi magazine, and they challenged any reviewer to tell a Quad amplifier from another equally priced amplifier in a blind A/B test. Nobody accepted the challenge.

Last edited:
Top Bottom