Newcomer / Intro What are you up to?

Good point Chris, and I do the same. I tend to filter out L and T type, and leave the rest. But L and T are good candidates for the reason Chris mentioned.

A couple weeks ago I needed to go from 45% Pioneer to Elite. I ran three trips over the course of three nights, each about 2000 light years out, and then back home to turn in the data.

In case it may help, I flew to the Pelican/ North American nebulas first trip. Toward the Veil East nebula on the second and I cannot remember the third, but it was actually toward the core. I found a heck of a lot of first discoveries going to these places.

First discoveries are so cool, and one of things that attracted me to Elite in the first place. But I feel compelled to add that if rank (which means money) is the goal, then mapping is the key. WW, ELW and AW are great yes. But the bread and butter for me were terraformable HMCs. If you first discover and first map these it's 2+ million per planet. For me that was the path to Elite, as some systems can have four or more of these.

Last edited:
No. By non-sequence I meant NSs, BHs, WDs, Wolf-Rayets, etc. Those are the most visited systems.
Oh - right, the use of "non-sequence" is strange to me, never seen it used in over 50 years of amateur astronomy. So you were referring to some "exotic" types of non-main-sequence stars as being the ones that people used the OBAFGKM main sequence stars to travel by but to not explore. I see what you meant, sorry.

Last edited:
Oh - right, the use of "non-sequence" is strange to me, never seen it used in over 50 years of amateur astronomy. So you were referring to some "exotic" types of non-main-sequence stars as being the ones that people used the OBAFGKM main sequence stars to travel by but to not explore. I see what you meant, sorry.
Well, I'm not an astronomer so using "non-sequence" for any star that isn't the "main sequence" feels normal to me. :LOL:

As a change of pace I've been trying to 'discover' Guardian sites (as in locate them from purely in-game information and not rely on spoilers). In practice this means following breadcrumb references from the codex knowledge base, as well as reported discoveries from other commanders.

I started with the canonical ruin (Synuefe) which was interesting in a kind of drab, museum-like way. (The tourist beacon was a tip-off). The second one I tried was... interesting in a rather different way that was not very much like a museum at all. I came away with some data that I can't make head or tail of, but that I confidently hope will prove useful at some point. Also, there were many shiny things assembled into interesting structures that sometimes even moved around! So that was cool.

I have recently rebuilt my system with a high end graphics card and also picked up a new monitor (more than I planned to pay, but it looks amazing) so I think the time might be right for another exploration trip. My longest to date was about 2.5k LY - thinking about pushing it out to 10k or so this time.

Well, I'm not an astronomer so using "non-sequence" for any star that isn't the "main sequence" feels normal to me. :LOL:
Just to set my OCD at rest and make sure I was not misinforming anyone I did a few searches on different engines for the phrase "non-sequence stars" and the only results are based on Elite Dangerous (here, reddit, Steam, etc). So someone in the community in the past must have coined the term "non-sequence stars" and it seems to have taken root in the E D player-base. :geek:

Well, geysers are now my new favourite thing: selenium! Woooh, baby.
I ended up setting loads of stuff to “ignore” in the end, because I ran out of material storage space... It was always quite annoying to watch selenium, niobium, arsenic, antinomy, technetium and loads of other goodies just bounce around because I had nowhere to put them!

Geologic features will fill your bins rapidly :)

Just to set my OCD at rest and make sure I was not misinforming anyone I did a few searches on different engines for the phrase "non-sequence stars" and the only results are based on Elite Dangerous (here, reddit, Steam, etc). So someone in the community in the past must have coined the term "non-sequence stars" and it seems to have taken root in the E D player-base. :geek:
I didn't say or think it was an official term. :)
But yes, I've definitely seen it used before, around here.

I ended up setting loads of stuff to “ignore” in the end, because I ran out of material storage space... It was always quite annoying to watch selenium, niobium, arsenic, antinomy, technetium and loads of other goodies just bounce around because I had nowhere to put them!

Geologic features will fill your bins rapidly :)
As long as they are on slopes of less than 50 degrees.

In my early days i circumnavigated the bubble remaining probably not more than 4 jumps from a safe harbour and still managed to discover a couple of previously unexplored systems.Ran into quite a few FD's by forum commanders,too.

Everyone in my group has got tired of wrestling with the state of the BGS to the point where I was the only one still doing anything, until I finally got sick of not having any help even though a lot of the bugs that made everyone quit have been fixed, so I've gone "sod it" and relocated somewhere more convenient. Parked myself at a nice little backwater with an interstellar factors so I don't have to go out of my way to get my ships cleaned any more.

The first system I looked at had an ammonia world and I decided against it simply because I didn't fancy the prospect of having my home station getting hand-of-godded out from under me and buried under a grindwall of "ship umpteen bazillion tons of commodities after killing several thousand thargoids".

I decided to have a jaunt over to Maia as I remembered it being quite a pretty system and I hadn't fully explored it. En route, I came a across a high metal content planet with magma geysers (although you can't tell they're magma from the shot below...). Got a few tellurium crystals. I need to revisit the other geological sites on the planet to see what other lovelies can be hoisted from the rockery.

Landing was trickier that I was used to as it was 1.5G's. I know they go heavier but I haven't encountered those yet :D

I decided to have a jaunt over to Maia as I remembered it being quite a pretty system and I hadn't fully explored it. En route, I came a across a high metal content planet with magma geysers (although you can't tell they're magma from the shot below...). Got a few tellurium crystals. I need to revisit the other geological sites on the planet to see what other lovelies can be hoisted from the rockery.

Landing was trickier that I was used to as it was 1.5G's. I know they go heavier but I haven't encountered those yet :D
While your down that way think about “dropping” in on Ceres Tarn base you should find the landing and approach at least twice as interesting.

Top Bottom