Weapon proposals: Lightning Cannon, Magnetic Cling Inducer

I've always loved space shooters, and when I was a kid there was a really great cave flyer I used to play called "Andromeda 9."

The most spectacular weapon in the game was the Lightning Cannon, an energy weapon of very short range and somewhat unpredictable targeting, but with a high damage. Its bright blue forks of energy could damage multiple targets. I would love to see something like this in ED, essentially an energy shotgun type weapon similar to what the Frag Cannon is for kinetic weapons. I envision the Lightning Cannon having a very wide angle of fire and having a short range of 500m to 1km, with the ability to jump to other targets within that range also. It would have a very deleterious effect on unshielded ships, melting armor to slag and frying modules, but against shields it would be relatively weak, though there would (ideally) be some super fun arcing and sparking pyrotechnics whenever the lightning bolt interacts with a shield. While powerful, the high likelihood of friendly fire in close quarters would balance the weapon nicely. It should have a higher DPS than beams, but also a very high power drain.

I think some kind of "static cling" cannon that polarizes unshielded ship hulls would be pretty sweet also. It would have no effect on shielded ships whatsoever, but against hull it would impart and increase a hyper-magnetism that would cause the victim's ship to start attracting kinetic ammunition, missiles, limpets, mines, torpedos, and yes, other ships towards itself. The effect would be based on factors like ship size, distance from attractable objects, and level of cling transmitted by the Magnetic Cannon.

Image that you're sitting comfortably in your Federal Dropship, sipping your Moonbucks coffee, one in each hand, with your shield offline for some inexplicable reason, when your COVAS pleasantly informs you, "Warning, magnetic attack detected.". Suddenly you find your vessel is being magnetically pulled towards the nearby Coriolis station, and the stream of noobs in their Sidewinders innocently queuing up for ingress that you were watching just a second ago have become magnetically adhered to your hull. You might have spilled your coffees in surprise, but fortuitously your metal insulated coffee mugs have been sucked from your hands to the bulkheads as well, saving you the indignity of soiling yourself in your shock.

Lol, great ideas. It would add some interesting dynamics to what is otherwise straightforward "shoot different damage types" combat style.

(Edit the lol was at me imagining the magnetically charged ship heading towards the coriolis station)

+1

Hmm. Massive damage, short range, hard to aim. That was the Cytoscrambler when it was introduced. Since then, people constantly were campaigning for it to get more accurate and alas, some time ago its jitter was reduced a lot.

So outside of the "cool sound and lightning effect", we had just that and there was enough wailing to change it. Would this thing here be implemented, i would give it a year in the state you suggest, then enough of tears have built up for it to be changed to be a beam laser with different sound and effect and of course much higher damage output.

So don't get me wrong: the sound and graphical effect you describe would be cool. I just have my doubts that the weapon itself, the way you describe it, would be welcome by the community. They'd rather complain about it for so long till it'll be fundamentally changed into something we already have, just more powerful. To then wonder, where the powercreep comes from.

I like the aesthetic of the lightning gun, even if there is no real "realism" in lightning in space. I'd like to see a lightning gun as a Guardian hybrid energy weapon, similar to a beam laser. I'd like to see something similar for an AX pulse weapon, but not sure if a lightning effect would work for that.

I like the aesthetic of the lightning gun, even if there is no real "realism" in lightning in space. I'd like to see a lightning gun as a Guardian hybrid energy weapon, similar to a beam laser. I'd like to see something similar for an AX pulse weapon, but not sure if a lightning effect would work for that.
The Guardians have that lightning stuff holding floating components in place. Lightning tractor beam?

A tractor beam, eh? Please, no. NO. N O ! ! !

But a grapple attack, magnetic or mechanic, would be cool. With big enough a size difference and good enough FSD, the bigger ship could even tow the other one in supercruise. This would allow rescue missions, or catching perps without killing them.

Mmm. The space tugboat, an enormous flying brick with massive engines and FSD.

Honestly, even if it's just a direct damage weapon, as a non ammo-dependant anti xeno weapon, that'd work for me. If it had the added benefit of drag munitions and scramble spectrum when hitting human craft, (possibly at a massive reduction to the damage it can do, or like a cyto, limiting damage to shields) that'd be cool too. Vs Thargoids, I'd want it to rip their shields, be okay at general damage, but terrible vs hearts. Might be cool if it offered a short range and moderately effective answer to swarms, too.

Top Bottom