Trying to upgrade thrusters. Argh, this is why I hate engineers

Also bear in mind that remote engineering doesn't count for ranking up,
This needs repeating. Get to level 5 thrusters at least once before pinning the blueprint, and leaving. Afterwards you can remote engineer any ship's thrusters to level 5, but no experimentals can be applied remotely.

However, an update will come, and all your pinned bleuprints will disappear, and you'll have to fly back to pin again.

Last edited:
Don't waste time trying to rank up engineers with alternate methods like exploration data. It kinda works for the first two grades, above that it gets way too slow. Just plan ahead to bring along enough materials for three upgrade rolls per grade to unlock the next grade. That is fast and easy.

I'd second the suggestion about making an exploration/LR taxi build first, since you'll probably save time in the long run.

Then go hunt mats (look up crystalline clusters, crashed Anacondas etc), unlock the FSD booster and make your Palin distance requirement all in one go.

You'll have a bunch of exploration data to use when you get back too.

To be fair I have a feeling that hunting the PI’s for his G5 thrusters would break OP about now... 🤣
Not that bad if you do it right. Either that or I was lucky to find 2 systems rather near each other where a faction in "Outbreak" status was the one associated with most of the HGE's that showed up and I just bounced back and forth between the two systems...farmed enough PI's for G5 thrusters on 4 ships in one session (planning ahead for when I unlock Palin).

Even that notwithstanding, it's also quite easy to get G5 materials in general and just use the materials trader.

I should note that I agree not to use exploration data for engineers generally.
It's slow and better used for permits imo.
Actually, that's true, yes. Since the Engineers were adapted, you can so quickly get through Levels 1 and 2 that you are soon into 3 and above where exploration data will make no difference.

Hi Op. You've discovered the actual game progression mechanic. It's not money or ships, it's engineering.

Unlocking engineers is a tiny fraction of the process, because you will have to grind for mats to build your modules.

There are some mat shortcuts, and the community will help you when you're ready to start that process.

I have some free time today. I have an itch for some space combat in my Krait mk2. I moved up from a Vulture thanks to the mining boom. The only problem is that it's not very maneuverable. So, I want to engineer the thrusters to get that 40% increase.

I've spent the last 40 minutes looking at videos and searching for posts about how to engineer my thrusters to grade 5.

First, thank God for INARA. It ****es me off that this game is too convoluted to play without external websites. Here is what I figured out:

I have to level up with Elvira Martuuk to unlock Marco Qwent.
Elvira only offers up to Grade 2 Dirty Drives. I think I need to get to level 3 with her to unlock Marco. So, although it's the dirty drives I want, I'll need to upgrade something else with her first. So, I'll have to gather materials to upgrade something I wasn't interested in upgrading to unlock Marco?

Marco Qwent doesn't offer any dirty drives or anything I want. But I need to get to level 3 with him to unlock Professor Palin?

I feel like I must have misunderstood something. It can't really be this bad.

Sorry, for the rant tone. I'm just really annoyed. I try to avoid engineering as much as possible but I really want these dirty drives on my lumbering Krait. Any help would be appreciated.
How about the bad first, then the good?

The Bad

You were right to assume Engineering is a rabbit hole that is difficult to go down, it's always something, literally, that gets in the way of your goal. So after you finally unlock Professor Palin then you get a SURPISE! requirement, hope you like exploration. And finally, as an added 'bonus', then you get the utter joy of gathering the mats for the actual engineering part, some of which are currently broken.

A handy tip: If you have any Pharmaceutical Isolators, better hang on to them, don't ever sell those..

The Good

After you jump though all of the hoops and unlock Palin, you are going to love Dirty Drives, if it's not the best mod in the game, it's certainly one of them. Also, I have my Krait mk' s thrusters engineered to grade 5 DD's and it basically flies like a small fighter, it's ridiculous fun to fly, and honestly amazing. The Krait has basically become my favorite ship now, it's up there with my Python and Vette. So after you're done with 'the grind', at least it will be worth it, very worth it actually.

Last edited:
Engineers is not an enjoyable addition to Elite.
It's right down there with CQC PP and the time it takes to bug or add new content.

Engineers is not an enjoyable addition to Elite.
It's right down there with CQC PP and the time it takes to bug or add new content.
It takes you out of your comfort zone into aspects of the game you might not otherwise experience. So long as you don't make it a continual grind, and pick up some of the mats as part of your regular game play, you will find it a more pleasant experience.

You really don't need to engineer up to grade 5 for most ship modules before seeing big benefits, and they can be topped up later.

It takes you out of your comfort zone into aspects of the game you might not otherwise experience. So long as you don't make it a continual grind, and pick up some of the mats as part of your regular game play, you will find it a more pleasant experience.

You really don't need to engineer up to grade 5 for most ship modules before seeing big benefits, and they can be topped up later.
If you enjoy setting goals then engineers truly stinks.

Go here and follow this guide.
https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteOne/comments/8bs6g8 Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteOne/comments/8bs6g8/foxs_stepbystep_guide_to_unlocking_engineers/

I know it is long, but this is the fastest way to do it all with the least wasted motion. A few of the steps have gotten easier since the guide was created, specifically when it says some of the commodities can only be bought in max quantity of 5, I found that I could buy 16 (probably more if I had more space). Ultimately, get the important ones unlocked and you'll thanks yourself. Then it's just a matter of getting mats and doing it.

Engineer ranking up, next engineer invites occur once you hit grade 3 plus 30%, soooo, grade 3.3 will get the next invite

And yes, as someone else said.....Felicity, g5 fsd, g3 thruster

Not sure why someone mentioned Elvira for g5 thrusters, she only does g2
As for Palin, valuable guy, but take your time to get there.

The suggestion to put the fsd in a dbx is very useful, you won't regret it, for the 5000ly unlock requirement, do this too and lighten the ship as much as you can, all you want is a fuel scoop and the fsd, make that rebuy as low as you can and make sure you have no carto data and no bounty or combat vouchers, fly 5000ly from your original game start location, watch the counter - its in the codex under your commander\stats\exploration, once its at 5,000LY+, destruct - that should take 2 hours max

Engineer ranking up, next engineer invites occur once you hit grade 3 plus 30%, soooo, grade 3.3 will get the next invite

And yes, as someone else said.....Felicity, g5 fsd, g3 thruster

Not sure why someone mentioned Elvira for g5 thrusters, she only does g2
As for Palin, valuable guy, but take your time to get there.

The suggestion to put the fsd in a dbx is very useful, you won't regret it, for the 5000ly unlock requirement, do this too and lighten the ship as much as you can, all you want is a fuel scoop and the fsd, make that rebuy as low as you can and make sure you have no carto data and no bounty or combat vouchers, fly 5000ly from your original game start location, watch the counter - its in the codex under your commander\stats\exploration, once its at 5,000LY+, destruct - that should take 2 hours max
Or come back with all that lovely data.

Once you have travelled over 5,000 ly you have the hang of exploration and can manage the trip back. It is short in exploration terms.

These days you can get the modular terminals much easier/quicker than in the past. If you go to Maia, hang around out there and look for some cool money making opportunities. Don't forget to pin blueprints once you hit your ranks.

its more about time....if the trip is 2 hours and the rebuy is around 300k......which is more valuable to you?

That said, don't waste even a second scanning on such a trip - this is if the trip is being done for the sake of an unlock, nothing else.
If a person is not concerned about the unlock, then 98% of this thread is a waste of text, its then a simple matter of, just play and enjoy, and keep in mind if you want unlocks, what you eventually need to do.

I already had my G5 FSD. I promised myself that would be the last time. But the Krait needs better thrusters.

Thanks for all the advice.

I was able to get to G2 Thrusters and G3 shields with Elvira. I was also able to unlock Marco Qwent.

My plan is to devote some play sessions to making progress with engineers. The rest I'll play as I like.

Top Bottom