The Star Citizen Thread V10

I wonder if people get equally angsty about RL stuff or just pretend I'm a spaceman gamey stuffz?
I think they get angsty about recreational stuf (including video games), because they perceive that there’s not much hope in changing the RL stuff. Recreational stuff is optional, it’s stuff we can live without, especially when four people can simply have fun with a deck of cards, so there’s a genuine perception of power, compared to a world where they feel powerless.

I’d elaborate further, but Frontier has a “no politics” rule. ;)

If a fan uses some insane level of mental gymnastics and I post it here, not to ridicule but just to say, look at how far people are bending backwards in defence of something. Why is that a problem?
Can go round and round if "we" think discussing how far people are bending backwards in defense of SC is a problem or not. But Jenner did post this:

The topic is Star Citizen, not the people discussing Star Citizen.

Thanks.
Interpret that as you will.

Viajero

Volunteer Moderator
Remember, there is no game, so CIG would be fine. Or is Star Citizen a game now?
That is precisely the thing. There is indeed no game yet, but its developers are nevertheless monetizing the project as if it had already been released (ref "what is release anyways"). No significant exposure to formal reviews or gaming critics, or to any liability for non delivery on all the commercial committments issued all these years (unless any regulatory body decides to intervene); while at the same time reaping all the commercial rewards it can by monetizing to the hilt any minute element of the project. At some point, hopefully, CIG will need to stop abusing the proverbial having own cake and eating it and be brought to account.

Last edited:
Back from the pub and now watching CI-G's latest video about making fake weapon sounds.

While there is undoubtedly talent involved here - I perhaps think that distinct mechanisms would each have their own signature sounds by virtue of them erm, being mechanically distinct. Resulting sound is a product of the environment - or lack thereof.

Or are they trying to say they invented EAX?

Anyway - we now have evocative diahorrea, vomitus, and erm, "full underpants squelch" effects to expect in-game!!!!!! Splendid!

Last edited:
Ladies and Gentlemen, its been a while, so it must be time to open your wallets and PLEDGE MORE MONEY!!!

From the low low price of a AAA game for a ground vehicle to the price of 10 AAA games for a few ships and extra insurance!

Its the bargain of the lifetime!

Ladies and Gentlemen, its been a while, so it must be time to open your wallets and PLEDGE MORE MONEY!!!

From the low low price of a AAA game for a ground vehicle to the price of 10 AAA games for a few ships and extra insurance!

Browsing through those pages (wow, those ship costs, still hard to believe) I came across the $25 gift card - was idly wondering if they did $250 ones since that seems to be what the ships are costing and realised that the $25 gift voucher costs ... $30 - how does that work? Not a big user of gift vouchers - do they usually charged a markup to convert real money into virtual ... ARxing for a friend ;)

Browsing through those pages (wow, those ship costs, still hard to believe) I came across the $25 gift card - was idly wondering if they did $250 ones since that seems to be what the ships are costing and realised that the $25 gift voucher costs ... $30 - how does that work? Not a big user of gift vouchers - do they usually charged a markup to convert real money into virtual ... ARxing for a friend ;)
Oh, that's just a bit of VAT fraud.

Not explicitly, of course, but he reason they gave for the price hike was that the $25 was exclusive VAT, conveniently forgetting that the $25 store credit you get will then only go towards a $25 purchase inclusive VAT. This gets reported as a $25 sale and $6.25 goes to the tax man… except you only get goods worth $20 — the difference is presumably pocked by the seller.

This is, of course, not even remotely how gift vouchers work and doing anything else than giving you $31.25 worth of purchase power for the $31.25 gift card you buy is “oh hi, you're no longer allowed to operate within our tax jurisdiction and also we're going to audit every sales transaction you've ever made while you sit very very still and do nothing to your books” levels of a bad idea.

There has been no real official excuse, but the fan theory is that when you pay with gift cards, you get the excl. VAT price, which is a hideously obtuse and over-complicated way of doing things. There's no reason why it would be a $31.25 gift card since that's the value of the goods (tax inclusive) you're supposed to be able to buy with it — if you see the VAT on the gift card, you'll see it on the stuff you'll buy with it, and there's no reason to show two different prices depending on payment method. So best-case, someone at CIG is hideously stupid; worst-case, they're just criminal.

The UK government (and the EU in general) allow VAT to be charged on vouchers where the cost of the final sale is known in advance, but the VAT is NOT then payable when you exchange the voucher for goods or services. By far the easier approach is to treat the voucher as a multi-purpose voucher, and pay VAT only at the point where the voucher is used as (part)payment for the goods or services (making the voucher purchase VAT free). I think Star Citizen giftcards are really multi-purpose vouchers.

Latest (?) UK guidance is here: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/changes-to-the-vat-treatment-of-vouchers/vat-treatment-of-vouchers-from-1-january-2019

I try to see the funny side of things most of the time... but, sometimes I truly despair at the lack of any ethical or moral compasses in this world of ours. I'm not sure whether to feel sorry for the 'fans' who buy into this sort of thing or not.

Top Bottom