The Quest To Find Raxxla

I (don't) like how the books that came with the games, that introduced the dark wheel and raxxla, are not considered canon at all.
All the books that came with ED are canon. Some minor details regarding the Thargoids were changed later, so a few bits in ‘Out of the darkness’ and ‘And here the wheel’ are probably a bit of.

The timeline and stories from FE:2 seem to be the backbone of ED history. Some of the FFE stuff has caried ower as well.
The massive use of clones and androids from those games have been toned down significantly.

The Dark Wheel and probably also Imprint are not canon in the way that they accurately describe events that really happened, but they are considered to be stories that are known in the ED galaxy. MB explained that TDW should be considered an ingame legend.

This would put it in the same boat as Astrophel and Stella and make it valide as a clue source.

The Dark Wheel and probably also Imprint are not canon in the way that they accurately describe events that really happened, but they are considered to be stories that are known in the ED galaxy. MB explained that TDW should be considered an ingame legend.
Probably a little bit more than a legend ... there are elements from The Dark Wheel that have been confirmed as canon. It may be good exercise to identify what those elements are. Some examples:

- The existence of The Dark Wheel as an organization: Confirmed in And Here the Wheel, the existence of a faction by that name in Shinrata Dezhra, Premonition and the Codex.​
- The legend of The Dark Wheel being connected to one Jason Ryder: Confirmed in And Here the Wheel.
- The existence of Oresrians: Confirmed in Frontier: First Encounters
- The existence of one Trader Elyssia Fields: Unconfirmed but highly suggested in Premonition and the Teorge listening posts.​
- Raxxla: Confirmed in And Here the Wheel, Elite: Legacy and the Codex​
- Tionisla Orbital Graveyard: Confirmed in And Here the Wheel and Premonition (Galnet?).​
- Thrumpberry Juice: Confirmed in Premonition (where can I get some?)​

I think that there is enough to suggest that the basic story line of The Dark Wheel is valid but that specific details may not be.

Probably a little bit more than a legend ... there are elements from The Dark Wheel that have been confirmed as canon. It may be good exercise to identify what those elements are. Some examples:

- The existence of The Dark Wheel as an organization: Confirmed in And Here the Wheel, the existence of a faction by that name in Shinrata Dezhra, Premonition and the Codex.​
- The legend of The Dark Wheel being connected to one Jason Ryder: Confirmed in And Here the Wheel.
- The existence of one Trader Elyssia Fields: Unconfirmed but highly suggested in Premonition and the Teorge listening posts.​
- Tionisla Orbital Graveyard: Confirmed in And Here the Wheel and Premonition (Galnet?).​

I think that there is enough to suggest that the basic story line of The Dark Wheel is valid but that specific details may not be.
Tionisla Orbital Graveyard confirmed in GalNet: https://community.elitedangerous.com/galnet/uid/57a462879657ba967bd8f578
The Thrumpberry Juice rare seems currently unavailable in ED.

Today's Exploration Weirdness Report:

As some of you may know, I'm primarily exploring by parallax these days. However, I'm on a mission to scan the systems for all HD and HIP catalogue stars, which means that sometimes I need to use the FSS to locate hard to spot bodies (those tiny black ones a long way from the star are the devil to spot). Once located, I'll point the ship in the right direction then go look for the tiny moving speck.

So I'm at HR 4938, which had only the primary star explored. There's a second star at 37 kLs away with no orbiting bodies, and a third at 275 kLs out, which is where all the planets are hanging out.

I do the supercruise thing and locate and resolve bodies 1 through 8, but I'm not getting 'System Scan Complete', so I take a look around with the FSS and track it down to an orbit pretty much perpendicular to other 8 bodies. So I point my ship in the general direction and fly off to do the parallax thing. At around 1 kLs from the star I'm not seeing any motion so I flip to the FSS for a quick look - the body is no longer in front of me, it's behind me, apparently at one zoom level in, along with bodies 1 and 2. This obviously isn't right, since I've got 1 through 8 tagged and most of those are way further out than I currently am. Weird, but okay. I try zooming in, but the FSS really doesn't like zooming at that range and all I can manage to get is flashes of the star as it shoots across the screen in response to tiny mouse movements.

So I turn around and fly back to 300 Ls and FSS again - yep, it's back behind me again. This time I check what range it's at (normally I don't because that's 'cheating') - 26 kLs. Naturally, my spider-senses are tingling at this point, so I fly back out to 1 kLs to see if it reappears behind me. It does, and a quick trip back to 500 Ls puts it back out in the distance again.

At this point I have to option of heading out 26 kLs in the hopes that I can pick out a tiny body at that distance from the star, with no hope that the FSS is going to help me find out, or simply resolve it with the FSS. If it hadn't been past 11pm on a workday, I might have done the experiment, but as it was I just resolved it. Sadly, my screen didn't explode into fireworks, spelling out 'Raxxla' in glowing letters - just a regular atmospheric HMC. I flew out and mapped it anyway, just to see - nothing exciting happened.

So I'm going to put this down to a bug, but if anybody wants to go investigate, feel free - I'm not worried about tags or credits these days, I've got plenty of both.
The orbit of C9 is perpendicular to C1-C8. Would have loved to see when that happened. Tagged all of it.

Edit: Also took this nice picture on my way back at WREGOE NL-G B39-0 A 3 A

Attachments

Last edited:

Absolutely. Most places and people in TDW are historical. It’s more like a ‘based on a true story’ movie. Probably put to the pen by someone with an agenda.

Probably should've checked out that Degraded Signal Source...
Sorry, I quoted the wrong bit. I was referring to the Galnet article you posted.

This continued for a few minutes until a power failure silenced it. The message read "OTSEAFOTSEAF". The significance of the transmission, if any, is unclear.

the ship was identified as an antique Cobra Mk III with the unusual hull registry of 'Cor meum et animam'.

Sorry, I quoted the wrong bit. I was referring to the Galnet article you posted.

This continued for a few minutes until a power failure silenced it. The message read "OTSEAFOTSEAF". The significance of the transmission, if any, is unclear.

the ship was identified as an antique Cobra Mk III with the unusual hull registry of 'Cor meum et animam'.
EAFOTS sector.
Next to Heart and Soul.
Part of the Formidine Rift storyline.

This is why I think CoR are wrong about Heart and Soul being related to Raxxla - it puts the two biggest mysteries of the game in exactly the same place. FDev wouldn't be THAT stupid.

CoR need to be looking at Niobe.

EAFOTS sector.
Next to Heart and Soul.
Part of the Formidine Rift storyline.

This is why I think CoR are wrong about Heart and Soul being related to Raxxla - it puts the two biggest mysteries of the game in exactly the same place. FDev wouldn't be THAT stupid.

CoR need to be looking at Niobe.
Nice one. Thanks for the explanation!

Can somebody please open up a multicrew seat while you are searching for Raxxla in the Formidine Rift, gosh.
Too risky I'm afraid. You'll be driven mad by the voices in hyperspace and I wouldn't want that on my conscience. I have to stop my ears with wax in order to survive.

Did you know that if you record the sound of the hyperspace transition then replay it backwards through Audacity, you can hear a voice saying "Stop messing about and just play the damn game".

I don't recall cor saying raxxla is in the rift... Any rift related stuff was written by drew, so is at best, club / dark wheel related - the Zurara. We hit a few rift targets after the dark wheel toast was dropped, but linked to other research rather than raxxla. Everything is related though. The rift links directly to the club, who link to the thargoids and dark wheel, which links to raxxla. It's one big story.

Last edited:
I don't recall cor saying raxxla is in the rift... Any rift related stuff was written by drew, so is at best, club / dark wheel related - the Zurara. We hit a few rift targets after the dark wheel toast was dropped, but linked to other research rather than raxxla. Everything is related though. The rift links directly to the club, who link to the thargoids and dark wheel, which links to raxxla. It's one big story.
There was a link a few pages back to CoR's investigation of Raxxla - they're looking at Heart and Soul (via Eros and Psyche) as the 'answer' to "Parent's grief, lover's woe".

Has anyone tried to connect Jason Ryder to engineer Liz Ryder?

I'm heading to bubble nebula. any must see stuff I should watch out for?

Top Bottom