The Quest To Find Raxxla

Not the tungsten. The reticules. They are also the same as the symbol round the circle. Maybe it's a part of it. I've seen three or 4 things with that triple cirlce bar thing. The reticule in the system map, ship weapons reticule, srv weapons reticule, and something else I can't remember. And they are oddly all upside down. It might be a hint.

What reticule is a full circle?

Did any of the previous games have one or more of these symbols/reticules?

In symbolism a key general represents knowledge. A door is a barrier representing a lack of knowledge needing to be bypassed. A journey is the effort and real work to gain knowledge. etc.

Maybe Raxxla is the secret on how to land and to proper maneuvers. And they gave up on us finding it and finally gave us auto docking.

Maybe the hunt for Raxxla is just their way of saying, "LEARN TO ING DRIVE!" 8)

See, they kept following the statistics and they were dismayed. The more they watched them the more depressed they become until they could no longer stand the game or their lives... They were on the edge of oblivion!

Or the original instruction manual they thought everyone could figure out.

Wait, maybe raxxla is the actual manual. As most people got this electronically nobody can find it... 8\

Raxxla isn't some acronym that represent a manual type set of information and is some quaint English joke about needing direction only and english person would get? Who here hunting for raxxla is British vs non British. Are Non British the only ones looking?! Not that that would matter because the british ones could lie to carry on the joke....

Last edited:
What reticules have a complete circle? FSD Interdictor?! Maybe it's saying how to find Raxxla in game.
The simple way to test your theory is to drive your SRV on the surface of, or into the orbit of, every planet you suspect of being Raxxla, and see if that reticule points the way.

;)

The Quest for Raxxla summary document has been updated up to this point (post #8023, page 402), plus the Dark Wheel codex screenshot up to #163 (pg 9)
  • New ideas from this thread added since 2019-Mar-15 have been added
  • Some ideas from the Independent Raxxla Hunters (and other discords) have been added also
  • All links to the forum have been fixed [they were broken since the forum update]
  • Minor document reorganization
Some of the interesting ideas that have come up between 2019-Mar-15 and now (a lot of systems have been suggested for searching, I tried to add them all):
  • The Dark Wheel toast may refer to Generation Ships, some of the toast elements seem to match the fates of known ships
  • Lazarus expedition logos are somewhat similar to the Raxxla logo
  • There is a mysterious audio signal that comes from a point about 10ly away from Sag A*
  • Tau Ceti seems like an especially suspicious system
  • The codex image of the dark wheel station seems purposefully oversaturated to make it more red than it should be
  • Neutron FSD Boosting was only added with patch 2.2 (Horizons), so it shouldn't be a required method of getting to Raxxla
If you don't see your idea for a search location / new technique for looking for something, let me know so I can add it!
I tried to link to the post when ideas were suggested, but I could easily have missed someone's post (or forgotten to write it down).
Please message me if I didn't link/give you due credit for your idea.

The goal of the document is to bring new hunters up to speed quickly so they can help out, and to help people avoid retreading the old ground.

The Quest for Raxxla summary document has been updated up to this point (post #8023, page 402), plus the Dark Wheel codex screenshot up to #163 (pg 9)
  • New ideas from this thread added since 2019-Mar-15 have been added
  • Some ideas from the Independent Raxxla Hunters (and other discords) have been added also
  • All links to the forum have been fixed [they were broken since the forum update]
  • Minor document reorganization
Some of the interesting ideas that have come up between 2019-Mar-15 and now (a lot of systems have been suggested for searching, I tried to add them all):
  • The Dark Wheel toast may refer to Generation Ships, some of the toast elements seem to match the fates of known ships
  • Lazarus expedition logos are somewhat similar to the Raxxla logo
  • There is a mysterious audio signal that comes from a point about 10ly away from Sag A*
  • Tau Ceti seems like an especially suspicious system
  • The codex image of the dark wheel station seems purposefully oversaturated to make it more red than it should be
  • Neutron FSD Boosting was only added with patch 2.2 (Horizons), so it shouldn't be a required method of getting to Raxxla
If you don't see your idea for a search location / new technique for looking for something, let me know so I can add it!
I tried to link to the post when ideas were suggested, but I could easily have missed someone's post (or forgotten to write it down).
Please message me if I didn't link/give you due credit for your idea.

The goal of the document is to bring new hunters up to speed quickly so they can help out, and to help people avoid retreading the old ground.
Why is Tau Ceti suspicious? I see the dark planet in hyperspace around Tau Ceti IIRC.

Why is Tau Ceti suspicious? I see the dark planet in hyperspace around Tau Ceti IIRC.
CMDR Guru-951 has lots of reasons, but the main ones are
  • It's the only system name mentioned in the codex for TDW or Raxxla
  • It's described as the location of the first known mention of Raxxla (even though it says the legend is already old at the time of the first mention)
  • There's a station orbiting a comet, which is somewhat unusual

Last edited:
I've noticed that the contents of the witch space tunnel you travel through DOES change with location. When you are closer to the Pleiades area, there are more Thargoid looking star things, and somewhere between the main bubble and Pleiades, the dark planet looking thing I posted about appear. Generally when you're about 3/4 of the way to Pleiades. I can't seem to spot the dark planet thing when I'm anywhere else. On one occasion, while jumping back and forth in the same 30-40ly area, I spotted 3 of them during transit. I think that the things we see in hyperspace are the "obvious" clues DB mentioned. I think the real challenge is figuring out how to either enter witch space without a jump, or how to interact with whatever Raxxla is. Most lore about witch space involves structures and strange objects and I don't think thats just to add to creepy vibes.

One thing I was thinking about was maybe finding an older piece of FSD tech that could allow entry to the other dimension.

Also want to point out that the Gen ship Thetis logs describe the weird signal they got as a whisper and that mystery doesn't seem to have been fully solved yet either.
Press and hold "TAB" when jumping, that worked very well on the Atari ST...

Z...

CMDR Guru-951 has lots of reasons, but the main ones are
  • It's the only system name mentioned in the codex for TDW or Raxxla
  • It's described as the location of the first known mention of Raxxla (even though it says the legend is already old at the time of the first mention)
  • There's a station orbiting a comet, which is somewhat unusual
It's also the name of my coffee shop!

Z...

I might have a possible lead, but I'm not good enough at combat to be sure!

So all the codex clues lead me to believe that we were looking for Thebes. Amphion is a character mentioned in Stella and Arestophel. In mythology, Amphion is credited with building the wall around Thebes. He then killed himself after his wife and children were murdered. A parent's grief, a lovers woe. Also, there is an Ophalos stone in Thebes.

When I found New Thebes in Aganippe I was momentarily excited before realizing it is not a landable planet. Right next to New Thebes, however, there is a government installation called the Universal Finance Beaurau, or something very similar. Strange that a financial institutions main concern is allegedly a stock of medical supplies that must be protected.....this is according to their distress call

The installation has a hackable comms array and two hackable data transmitters. I THINK that these may give us a clue to Raxxla.

The trouble is, despite being an Elite explorer, I am "mostly harmless" with mostly being more like totally and pathetically. Basically, I cant get my hand on the data because the automated defenses kill me!

I cant find anything about this installation or its data on Google. Has anybody checked this out already? If not, would somebody with more combat skills care to try?

My only ask is that if somebody gets the data, that they share it here, rather than running off to find Raxxla all by themselves! xD

I'm convinced Raxxla will be a very disappointing find. It's been in from the outset, so how could it be any other?
The fun is in the journey, not in the destination!
It's been in the game since the start, sure, but that doesn't mean FD can't update it along with the rest of the game. For all we know, we're actually on to our 3rd iteration of RAXXLA in the game :unsure:

It would be epic if the final thing to unlock whatever it is was to gently whisper “raxxla” into your mic.
100's of CMDRs start whispering into their mic

A small snippet gif from the Interstellar Initiatives video, Bridging The Gap at 1:52. Sadly was not able to slow it down enough to see it frame for frame.
Starts in Dahan, closest system to Ithaca (Home of Odysseus) and as it zooms out it reveals Aganippe and Demeter, among others, including Ao Qin. Also shows Barnard's Loop and Andromeda. All the systems which launched me into this black hole of a journey.

Last edited:
Went to Aganippe, scanned and hacked the hackables. Nothing but data, no messages were sent to my inbox, I'm afraid.

Flew inside the structure through the hatch, couldn't see anything special though. Video uploaded to YT. Should be viewable when YT decides to make it so.

Thanks very much for cheking this out Macros, I really appreciate it. Sorry it was a dead end. You made it look easy by the way!

Ok, given the dead end at New Thebes, but continuing with the Amphion theme. I know this is a bit out there, but has anybody considered a Star Trek Easter egg?

I am not a Star Trek fan, but in researching Amphion, I stumbled across something interesting....

In Star Trek, Amphion was a dead star in an antimatter universe that acted as a gateway from our universe, which was accessible from a white hole in our universe in the Beta Niobe system.

If this tin foil theory was right, then we would be looking for the stella remnants of Beta Niobe, the location of which is "The chart depicted Beta Niobe close to Ariannus and as far away from Earth as the Romulan Neutral Zone for example. The chart, first seen chronologically in Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country, set in 2293, was also seen in several Star Trek: The Next Generationand Star Trek: Deep Space Nine episodes set in the 24th century."

Do you think this is an angle worth persuing?
Has anybody considered it already? If not, I don't suppose there are any Star Trek fans on here, who could help determine the location???

Ok, given the dead end at New Thebes, but continuing with the Amphion theme. I know this is a bit out there, but has anybody considered a Star Trek Easter egg?

I am not a Star Trek fan, but in researching Amphion, I stumbled across something interesting....

In Star Trek, Amphion was a dead star in an antimatter universe that acted as a gateway from our universe, which was accessible from a white hole in our universe in the Beta Niobe system.

If this tin foil theory was right, then we would be looking for the stella remnants of Beta Niobe, the location of which is "The chart depicted Beta Niobe close to Ariannus and as far away from Earth as the Romulan Neutral Zone for example. The chart, first seen chronologically in Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country, set in 2293, was also seen in several Star Trek: The Next Generationand Star Trek: Deep Space Nine episodes set in the 24th century."

Do you think this is an angle worth persuing?
Has anybody considered it already? If not, I don't suppose there are any Star Trek fans on here, who could help determine the location???
The only star charts that I've ever seen of the Star Trek universe have been two dimensional. I'm not sure that you could reliably determine the location of anything from Star Trek using that information alone. Back in the 1980s I tried to figure out where some of Trek's fictional worlds would exist in three dimensional space (I really, really wanted to know the location of Spock's homeworld) but it was always a bust.

The only star charts that I've ever seen of the Star Trek universe have been two dimensional. I'm not sure that you could reliably determine the location of anything from Star Trek using that information alone. Back in the 1980s I tried to figure out where some of Trek's fictional worlds would exist in three dimensional space (I really, really wanted to know the location of Spock's homeworld) but it was always a bust.
Well, that one I can help you with. I came across the info whilst looking for info on star charts. Spock was from Vulcan right? Vulcan was based on the star 40 Eridani. This star is real, and in Elite Dangerous....I have it bookmarked because I went there to try to figure out the quadrants. I believe the Star Trek star maps were Vulcan maps, so I thought it might help, but didn't.

I don't know. It looked like he could put something there, between those 2 Reactors, once he got inside. Like Relics in the Guardian sites.

It's a good idea starbrow. I've already proven myself incapable of getting inside! I don't have any guardian stuff for the same reason. Do you fancy checking it out?

Well, that one I can help you with. I came across the info whilst looking for info on star charts. Spock was from Vulcan right? Vulcan was based on the star 40 Eridani. This star is real, and in Elite Dangerous....I have it bookmarked because I went there to try to figure out the quadrants. I believe the Star Trek star maps were Vulcan maps, so I thought it might help, but didn't.
Vulcan is alternately listed as either 40 Eridani or Epsilon Eridani, depending on the source. PopSci has an article that mentions this: https://www.popsci.com/planet-vulcan-star-trek-eridani

Back in the 80s, before Gene Roddenberry confirmed it as 40 Eridani, I leaned heavily toward Epsilon Eridani.

Top Bottom