The Quest To Find Raxxla

please for the love of science can we stop thinking that raxxla is behind a permit lock or other such nonsense, having researched raxxla, the formidine rift and other mysterious goings on in ED before ps4 launch. it was said that raxxla is the only planet apart from the core systems that is not procedurally generated (it was placed in a certain spot by FDev) it has been in the game since day one and DOESN'T need any special permits or equipment to get to where it is.

me personally I think that raxxla could one of 2 things either it is a unique looking planet around a very old star near the bubble, and possibly has a large unique station in orbit around it, or then again it could also be a rather bland megaship 3 million light seconds away from a neutron star. only David Braben and a select few others know exactly where and what raxxla is, and until someone can show the proof of finding it then, I for one will keep searching for as long as it takes.
I thought the 'no special requirement' was something Drew repeatedly said of the Rift mystery. If FD have said something similar about Raxxla, then I will have to change my view of where and what it might be, because it could then be something very obvious that is just easy to overlook because of location, possibly as you describe.

please for the love of science can we stop thinking that raxxla is behind a permit lock or other such nonsense, having researched raxxla, the formidine rift and other mysterious goings on in ED before ps4 launch. it was said that raxxla is the only planet apart from the core systems that is not procedurally generated (it was placed in a certain spot by FDev) it has been in the game since day one and DOESN'T need any special permits or equipment to get to where it is.
Sources please, because at the moment, that sounds very much like a conflation of Raxxla stuff with FR stuff. And various things you’re saying there contradict Michael Brookes’s statement that ‘there will be no clues’, which although it may have potentially gone out of the window with 3.3, certainly appeared to have held previously.

There’s another possibility. I think everyone so far has assumed “Princess Astrophel and the Spiralling Stars” refers to the “Astrophel and Stella” sonnets by Philip Sydney, however it might also be an association instead of a single entity, i.e. “Princess Astrophel” and “The Spiralling Stars”. Someone recently posted that they thought the earlier clue pointed towards the Maia region, and of course that is now in the Thargoid area of influence. What if the “Spiralling Stars” part of this refers to the display in a Thargoid Structure?

Could also refer to Spiral, Helix, or Cat's Eye stars, notably spiralling star sectors.

unfortunately I can not remember which website/youtube vid/thread I had read it as it was almost 1 and a half years ago, but the information is out there and I am just passing on what I remember seeing and/or reading. I am sure someone out there will either prove my memory wrong or not.

I'm fairly sure that someone in FD said that the system containing Raxxla had been visited, although this may be misinformation. Michael Brookes definitely said that there was no need for a second galaxy in the game until we have explored all of this one, bit that doesn't rule out the possibility that a star gate might be possible to another distant, possibly otherwise inaccessible location in our galaxy. The Dark Wheel is supposed to have travelled through this portal.... However, I'm not convinced fDev would have put code into the game for this rather niche circumstance. If Raxxla turns out to be an abandoned settlement, well, it would be better to travel in hope than to arrive.

unfortunately I can not remember which website/youtube vid/thread I had read it as it was almost 1 and a half years ago, but the information is out there and I am just passing on what I remember seeing and/or reading. I am sure someone out there will either prove my memory wrong or not.
Well... technically it’s not going to be possible for anyone to prove that your memory is wrong. Also, your memory might be right, but the person who said it might have been wrong. What I will say though is I have seen the same kind of stuff many times and it’s always been someone who’s mixing up things Drew said about the FR mystery with things about Raxxla, or mixing them up with something else entirely.

I'm fairly sure that someone in FD said that the system containing Raxxla had been visited, although this may be misinformation. Michael Brookes definitely said that there was no need for a second galaxy in the game until we have explored all of this one, bit that doesn't rule out the possibility that a star gate might be possible to another distant, possibly otherwise inaccessible location in our galaxy. The Dark Wheel is supposed to have travelled through this portal.... However, I'm not convinced fDev would have put code into the game for this rather niche circumstance. If Raxxla turns out to be an abandoned settlement, well, it would be better to travel in hope than to arrive.
The first bit’s a ‘a bloke down the pub reckons’ story. Everyone’s heard it. No one has ever been able to give an actual source for it.

Also, the closest there is to a canon source of info is that The Dark Wheel never found Raxxla.

Nonsense? How is this nonsense? Cite your sources for this misinformation that you’re spreading because I’m quite positive that no one has ever said this about Raxxla.

Can we also drop the “someone has visited the Raxxla system” rumor as well because that’s all it is is an unsubstantiated rumor.

Well... technically it’s not going to be possible for anyone to prove that your memory is wrong. Also, your memory might be right, but the person who said it might have been wrong. What I will say though is I have seen the same kind of stuff many times and it’s always been someone who’s mixing up things Drew said about the FR mystery with things about Raxxla, or mixing them up with something else entirely.
The rumor of Raxxla's honked status is old and has never been confirmed. Not that it's even important at this stage.

We can not assume that Raxxla can be found by regular exploring(scanning). It's possible that it can be found that way but, Raxxla could well be in a highly trafficked system. We have no idea of the level of obfuscation.

The same goes for permit locks. We can not assume either way. All we know is that some at FD know how to get there(Raxxla). If it's locked, there should be a way to obtain the permit or to bypass it.

The rumor of Raxxla's honked status is old and has never been confirmed. Not that it's even important at this stage.

We can not assume that Raxxla can be found by regular exploring(scanning). It's possible that it can be found that way but, Raxxla could well be in a highly trafficked system. We have no idea of the level of obfuscation.

The same goes for permit locks. We can not assume either way. All we know is that some at FD know how to get there(Raxxla). If it's locked, there should be a way to obtain the permit or to bypass it.
Exactly. However, I don't even think we're safe to assume that Raxxla is currently accessible through in-game mechanisms. It could, for example, include permit locks which there aren't currently ways to obtain, and which require FD action to lift (we've certainly seen Permit Locks being put in place which there's no known in game way of getting a permit for.)

On the other hand, of course, all it would take to hide it from being inadvertently found currently is for it to not show up as 'Raxxla', particularly if there's an atmospheric world involved.

me personally I think that raxxla could one of 2 things either it is a unique looking planet around a very old star near the bubble, and possibly has a large unique station in orbit around it, or then again it could also be a rather bland megaship 3 million light seconds away from a neutron star. only David Braben and a select few others know exactly where and what raxxla is, and until someone can show the proof of finding it then, I for one will keep searching for as long as it takes.
It’s very safe to assume Raxxla is behind a permit locked system. There are many minor factions protect their main systems behind permits, why would Raxxla be so vulnerable? Also we can’t say if it’s in the game from the beginning it should still be accessible with the old mechanics. Formidine Rift story evolved as the game develops and new mechanics were added as the game progresses. I hope Raxxla is not a Coriolis station you can just safe disengage.

After Horizons it might be put down to a planet/moon surface and if we can’t find it by then, they may relocate it on an atmospheric planet.

BTW Is there any updates on that “Rogue Planet systems”? They are in the game files but none discovered ever as far as I’m aware of.

Last edited:
It’s very safe to assume Raxxla is behind a permit locked system. There are many minor factions protect their main systems behind permits, why would Raxxla be so vulnerable? Also we can’t say if it’s in the game from the beginning it should still be accessible with the old mechanics. Formidine Rift story evolved as the game develops and new mechanics were added as the game progresses. I hope Raxxla is not a Coriolis station you can just safe disengage.

After Horizons it might be put down to a planet/moon surface and if we can’t find it by then, they may relocate it on an atmospheric planet.

BTW Is there any updates on that “Rogue Planet systems”? They are in the game files but none discovered ever as far as I’m aware of.
Yes, exactly this. All the circumstantial evidence points to Raxxla being permit locked somewhere. My guesses are in the Col 70 sector or Polaris. The rumor of Raxxla has been around since the very earliest days of interstellar travel which means it’s either in the Bubble or not very far outside it. If that’s the case then it’s very likely that someone would have stumbled across it by now, as the vast majority of the Bubble systems have been discovered. Same goes for much of the systems going out to the Pleiades.

Also, I doubt that they wanted Raxxla to be discovered before it was “ready” to be discovered. Hence tossing a permit lock on the system it’s in to safeguard against this.

I suspect that they want the new discovery scanner system to play a role in its discovery as well. Why add the Codex with a Raxxla entry at the same time as adding the new discovery scanner mini game system? This is just a hunch of course but I think it will play a role.

Last edited:

Can’t permit lock something you don’t know where is. ;)

Yes, exactly this. All the circumstantial evidence points to Raxxla being permit locked somewhere. My guesses are in the Col 70 sector or Polaris. The rumor of Raxxla has been around since the very earliest days of interstellar travel which means it’s either in the Bubble or not very far outside it. If that’s the case then it’s very likely that someone would have stumbled across it by now, as the vast majority of the Bubble systems have been discovered. Same goes for much of the systems going out to the Pleiades.

Also, I doubt that they wanted Raxxla to be discovered before it was “ready” to be discovered. Hence tossing a permit lock on the system it’s in to safeguard against this.

I suspect that they want the new discovery scanner system to play a role in its discovery as well. Why add the Codex with a Raxxla entry at the same time as adding the new discovery scanner mini game system? This is just a hunch of course but I think it will play a role.
Well, as per one of my posts above, all that it takes for it to be in the bubble and not found is for nothing to come up identifying it as Raxxla. Which is actually how it really should be - how would your ship’s systems know that the body you’ve just scanned is Raxxla? (Assuming that Raxxla is a body.)

Personally I doubt Col 70 as a location, given that it’s already tied in to Thargoid (and Guardian) stuff, and hasn’t been permit locked all along. It’s also a strange location for anything really major as it goes, given the strange shape of it due to all the unlocked regions inside it. (Which in fairness could actually also make it a better candidate as it’s a less obvious target for something compared to, say, Regor.)

Something else going on with Polaris too, IMHO. Maintaining a standard level of obfuscation of in-game history across different sections of the playerbase would be a good reason for locking Polaris, for example. Having said that, there’s no reason it couldn’t be serving multiple purposes of course.

Also, the time of the earliest references doesn’t necessarily have much bearing on location. There’s nothing to say the references are based on Raxxla itself being found.

Last edited:
So are you suggesting that even FD doesn’t know where Raxxla is because if so ????????
I think Herr Professor-Doktor is suggesting that Astrographics doesn't. Then neither your NavSystem does. Then "permit" is senseless.

Search results

Last edited:
Can’t permit lock something you don’t know where is. ;)
If I understand the lore correctly, all permit locks are put in place by the Elite Federation of Pilots (some obviously at the request of superpowers or local factions). That means that the system containing Raxxla cannot have been permit-locked _purely_ because it contains Raxxla, unless the Elite Federation of Pilots know where it is. It could, however, be incidentally locked off as a result of being inside a forbidden region. I think FD have confirmed that none of the regional permits are obtainable (I think it may have been a response to a question on a AMA or launch livestream for a patch, those are the ones I remember more clearly) so this is one possibility for a near-Bubble location that could not have been discovered (although Col 70 Sector and some surrounding locations were explorable at launch and only locked in 2.1). It could also be in an individual system locked off for another reason, which might then mean the permit is obtainable by some means.
I don't think the possibility of Raxxla being in a permit-locked location (obtainable or otherwise) should stop people from looking for it. Especially with the new mechanics, there might be clues to be found, either in space from beacons (or installations) or on the surface of planets and moons at abandoned settlements or crash sites. Knowing how to find and recognise the clues is the hard part - once you have them in hand they might be easier to solve. The fact that there are separate _categories_ for The Dark Wheel and Raxxla in the Codex suggests to me that there might be more than one entry in each to be revealed and that it might take something a bit unusual, or lucky, to get that information. The Dark Wheel were explorers and legend-seekers, so in a sense we are all here already members, just without any formal induction. All we can do is continue to play that role and see what we find.

Top Bottom