The End?

I play ARK at the moment, bought the game when it released on Xbox.
It's quite like ED if you look at it, it's a real "blaze your own trail" game, a big open world where you make your story, alone or with others.
I get burned out on ARK too, only difference is that when I do come back actual good developed stuff has been added, new tools, new dinos to tame, new caves to explore and above all new maps with a whole new pletoria of stuff to do.
The difference is in how well thought out those new maps are, full of content, not half baked like ED, and there's even a story evolving through the different DLCs.

DDastardly00

D
Let's put aside bugs and shadows and elephant butt leather for a moment and focus just on the game itself. I fired up Elite Dangerous after a few months on hiatus, did some things, and then exited with the thought, "I think I really am done with the game..." It just doesn't 'scratch the itch' like it used to. This is not a critique, as the same thing happened to me with other "open ended" games like Skyrim, Spider-Man, and even MMOs like DCUO and ESO. I just never thought it would happen with Elite.

I hang out here in the forums because I have a lot of nostalgia and good memories from my early days of playing Elite, and I have hope that perhaps new gameplay, missions, stories, etc. will someday be added to draw me back. Still, I'm kinda disappointed that the ride is over.

Like I said, this is not a critique or slam against Elite. I have plenty of those, but that's not the purpose of this thread. I'm not done because of bugs or even graphics, but rather that I just don't derive the joy of doing the things ED has to offer like I once did. I got over 2 years out of the game, which include some of the best memories in my gaming history, so I'm not 'rage quitting', just walking away into the sunset on a distance moon. Surely I'm not the only one to go through this. If you have a similar story, I'd love to hear it. Misery loves company, after all!

And no, you can't haz my stuff. If space legs and base building truly are coming to the game someday, I'll be back!
This happened to me once, although with me it really wasn't intentional in any way, I just started to play other games and Elite lost it's daily appeal. I remember firing it up once, it was after about 5 months of not playing it at all, just to see if I could still fly, and I was surprised that I could. I was a tinge rusty but that was about it. Then I turned it back off and didn't play again it for another 4 months.....All in all I took a long break from Oct 2017 to Feb 2019 and now I play ever day again...Things run in cycles, they are circular, everything is circular..

"You gotta rise above it, you gotta harvest the good energy and block out the bad. Harvest energy, block bad. Feel the flow, feel it, it's circular. Its like a carousel. You pay the quarter, you get on the horse, and you go up and down and around…in a circular circle with the music, the flow, all good things. Happy: Yeah, yeah."

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not really adding anything to the conversation; but I have a friend who has been playing gears of war 3 since launch. He wont play any of the other games in the series or any other game period... just GOW 3. I kid you not the guy even bought a Japanese xbox 360 / game. changed the language settings to English and bought 2 other friends the same thing just to play this one stupid game. He seriously has a problem. Maybee you guys have friends who dont play Elite that are waiting for you to stop no lifeing it and play something else. Some of my friends are but I'm just like well you've got a copy of the game too why don't you come jump on with me and help me kill some goids.

Anyway its unrealistic for most people to play a single game forever. Dont feel bad. Besides you can always come back in a few years if you feel like it again. Well be here. o7

I also stopped playing ED quite a while ago. As described by Old Duck and many others in this thread, I simply had a burnout.
And while I’ve spent more money on Elite than on any other game in my library (not only the game itself and some “vanities”, but also a VR-able computer, Rift, HOTAS and chrosswind pedals), I don’t regret a single €:
I had some of the best gaming moments in my life with ED, played for literally thousands of hours and while I don’t play any more, I still like the game.

I am pretty sure, I will purchase the next expansion (even if I would have preferred atmospheric planets) and start playing again after a long period of nourishing my space itch.

After a break of more than 1 1/2 years, it won’t make sense to continue where I stopped. I will reset my save (... again. I did it once and enjoyed it, but didn’t have the will to do it a second time).
I hope, this will make the whole experience fresh again. Furthermore, if the 2020 expansion is indeed “Elite feet”, I want to examine one ship after the other, live in every ship for some time, before I step up to the next one. With an already established commander, I would only hop from ship to ship just to see all the interiors.

One thing I hope #FDev will implement until (or with) the next expansion:
The ability to export (and of course import) our commanders on/from the hard drive!
While I am looking forward to start a fresh game, I really like my Holo-Me (I quite successfully tried to re-create my own physiognomy). I would love to keep it.
Obviously, it would be possible to go through each and every setting and write everything down.
But this is quite tedious and a terrible thing to be forced to do if an easier solution would be probably quite easy to implement.

One thing I hope #FDev will implement until (or with) the next expansion:
The ability to export (and of course import) our commanders on/from the hard drive!
While I am looking forward to start a fresh game, I really like my Holo-Me (I quite successfully tried to re-create my own physiognomy). I would love to keep it.
Mass Effect had that ability, which I found great since it gave me a sense of continuity going from 2 to 3 (I skipped over 1). I even believe ME had the ability to export your commander as a very long decimal code that represented all the attributes of your CMDR Shepherd, I guess in case you switched platforms or just wanted a paper backup of your guy / gal.

Last edited:
No, it took me over six months to go from Sidey to Conda, with some of my best memories being made in my Adder and later the "expensive" (at least it felt that way at the time) DBX and Keelback. I still prefer some of these ships to this day!

Speaking of, I remember getting all excited about buying my first large ship - the Type 7. This was after a couple of months playing. Others told me not to bother with it but to get a Python instead. I got my Type-7 and loved it, and it remains a favorite even now (especially for exploration and station evacuation). When I finally got the Python, I sold it a couple days later and never looked back, LOL.
Yeah I love the type 7 too. What ship has a better canopy? Makes you feel like you're still in a ship but without chunky bars. That and the cobra 4 are for any function that doesn't need combat capability.

The DBX is impressive for its size, but given its scooping performance I simply don't like it. The price for hype is strong with that one.

dxm55

Banned
Even the Thargoids got bored!
I reckon.
They were supposed to be invading hoonam space.

But I guess being restricted to CZs and USSes, along with being blamed for damaged stations that actually got taken down by server tics finally got to them.
They left the game with pouty lips.... or whatever those flappy thing on their faces are called.....

Might as well add my two cents....

As of right now I don't see myself abandoning the game, not as long as it is still being actively developed - even if that development is now less active and more, er, coasting until the 2020 mega-update. The game is playable and I find it fun. As I wrote in a different thread, the reason why I love ED (and to a lesser extent, Eve) is because it has the type of sci-fi setting I love most: dark, moody and not populated by goofy aliens (like in so many other games, especially NMS) but by characters out of a film noir. I love that gritty dystopian feel that Frontier has imbued into their game. While the gameplay can get repetitive fast, I find it has that good single player game feeling that keeps me coming back for more because I feel like I am in control of my day-to-day goals and in-game activities.

Now, to be fair, I think a big reason why I don't tire of Elite is because while I consider myself a dedicated player (i.e., I have 2+ weeks of game time on my current character alone - that's ~300+ hours) I don't consider myself a hardcore player (i.e., someone who feels the need to play every day and needs to quickly master everything the game has to offer). Having a more relaxed attitude towards Elite - or any other game, for that matter - helps keep the magic going. For example, now that the hot days of summer are here, my gametime plummets precipitously for Elite and every other game. I have found that it is due to breaks like this that my favorite games remain popular with me as those breaks keep the games feeling fresh when I do return (especially if new content was released during my break - sadly, it appears that won't be the case with Elite as the next patch is in September).

So, no, I don't see "the end" approaching any time soon when it comes to Elite: Dangerous.

Having said that, I do hope that Frontier closely reads this thread because it is an excellent summation of the many reasons why their hardcore fans are tiring of Frontier's magnum opus. If I was a hardcore player, I probably would have also abandoned Elite some time ago. Heck, during those early turbulent years, I did abandon Elite because I could not stomach the endless bugs and broken mechanics. And while the mechanics have improved, the bugs/glitches I routinely encounter are frankly inexcusable for a game that has been in active development for 4+ years now. Honestly, I have recently returned (yet again :)) to dabbling with my Eve Online alpha clone because I am tired of tripping over Elite's bugs that seem to rear their ugly heads even in a quick and routine 30-minute gameplay session. So, yeah, despite Old Duck dismissing the bugs, for me that would be a big reason why I might have reached "the end" if I was a hardcore player. Taking Frontier at their word that Elite: Dangerous is a profitable hit, it is time to move to a monthly patching process like most other MMO-type games as these quarterly patches are not sufficient for a game as complex as Elite. It is also long past due for Frontier to maintain a beta server for constant player feedback before rolling out patches/gameplay additions (yes, I am cribbing CCP's excellent work here).

Of course, others have made many other excellent points for their "the end" conclusions. I particularly agree with the critique about GalNet articles rarely having any gameplay impact. Like much of Elite's unaccountably half-baked content, the Galnet stuff is a real head-scratcher. On one hand, I applaud Frontier for having in-game news as it has always struck me as a huge oversight when complex, player-driven games lack the type of regular news reporting the real world enjoys (Eve can be faulted for this - here, CCP could learn from Frontier!). And I also applaud Frontier for the GalNet news reader they added to our ships - its the next best thing to in-game radio stations! Well done! But I just don't understand why the weekly GalNet stories have almost zero impact on in-game events. It is bizarre! Because few of those stories actually impact the game galaxy, reading GalNet often seems like reading the outline for a forthcoming Elite novel and little else. Why go to the trouble of writing this stuff, and investing the effort to create a news reader!, when the vast majority of articles have no impact on our gameplay?! This is one of those tremendously frustrating aspects of Elite that make me want to walk away from the game, too. It is stuff like that that makes Elite: Dangerous seem like the space sim equivalent of "hell being the impossibility of reason."

Well, as others have said, I am keeping my fingers crossed that the 2020 mega-update is the unofficial relaunch of the game, a reboot that will address many of the long-standing complaints of the playerbase. Elite: Dangerous has the potential to be one of the greatest space games of all time - it is already my favorite space game of all time - but right now it seems stuck in a morass of (perplexingly) half-baked gameplay ideas and buggy code seemingly held together by ducktape. ED deserves better. It hasn't proven enough for me to declare "Fin!" just yet, but I do understand why others are cashing in their chips. As I said before, Elite is my favorite space game of all time...but it is also the most frustrating game I have ever played because of the development issues myself and others have raised in this thread.

Last edited:
All very natural, OP. I'm probably hitting this limit, too, just not quite there yet. I'm able to not play Elite for several days, which wouldn't be possible a year ago. I even played through Metro 2033, a great change.

Now my mining Anaconda is hanging in an icy ring, full of VO and I haven't mastered the will to take them back yet.

BTW, Nuclear Throne is something COMPLETELY different. It gives me the un-Elite fix I need at times.

Im finding Kerbal most amusing atm. But my gaming days are nearing an end. I just dont find the time nor the inclination thesedays. I prefer to read a book or listen to music. This is not ED's fault, its just gaming in general and computers. I'm feeling analogue more and more. The digital world is not fullfilling.

Let's put aside bugs and shadows and elephant butt leather for a moment and focus just on the game itself. I fired up Elite Dangerous after a few months on hiatus, did some things, and then exited with the thought, "I think I really am done with the game..." It just doesn't 'scratch the itch' like it used to. This is not a critique, as the same thing happened to me with other "open ended" games like Skyrim, Spider-Man, and even MMOs like DCUO and ESO. I just never thought it would happen with Elite.

I hang out here in the forums because I have a lot of nostalgia and good memories from my early days of playing Elite, and I have hope that perhaps new gameplay, missions, stories, etc. will someday be added to draw me back. Still, I'm kinda disappointed that the ride is over.

Like I said, this is not a critique or slam against Elite. I have plenty of those, but that's not the purpose of this thread. I'm not done because of bugs or even graphics, but rather that I just don't derive the joy of doing the things ED has to offer like I once did. I got over 2 years out of the game, which include some of the best memories in my gaming history, so I'm not 'rage quitting', just walking away into the sunset on a distance moon. Surely I'm not the only one to go through this. If you have a similar story, I'd love to hear it. Misery loves company, after all!

And no, you can't haz my stuff. If space legs and base building truly are coming to the game someday, I'll be back!
Yep, kinda in the same boat, however, I am using this time to go through and unlock the power play modules, i.e. log in once a week to check the status, then in week 3/4 do the merits to unlock it, buy the modules I want and store them, defect to the next power, then repeat by the time the next update drops, I should have them all

But my gaming days are nearing an end. I just dont find the time nor the inclination thesedays. I prefer to read a book or listen to music. This is not ED's fault, its just gaming in general and computers. I'm feeling analogue more and more. The digital world is not fullfilling.
My affinity towards gaming is like the tide, it comes in during winter (which are long and harsh where I live) and goes out in the summer. Giving it some reflection, I'm sure this at least partially influences my sentiments in the OP. For example, Subnautica is my "ED replacement" right now, but am I playing Subnautica at the moment? Nope. My summer games of choice tend to be the short, fast, and hectic PvP games like Overwatch. When I want to relax in the summer, I'd rather sit outside or take a stroll in the woods, not sit in supercruise for minutes at a time or wait for geological POIs to take forever to resolve in the FSS...

So yeah, seasons and weather may have something to do with it. If I lived in a place like Greece along the sea, I might not even be a gamer! If I was, I would probably be using the Nintento Switch while looking out over the Med, LOL.

My affinity towards gaming is like the tide, it comes in during winter (which are long and harsh where I live) and goes out in the summer. Giving it some reflection, I'm sure this at least partially influences my sentiments in the OP. For example, Subnautica is my "ED replacement" right now, but am I playing Subnautica at the moment? Nope. My summer games of choice tend to be the short, fast, and hectic PvP games like Overwatch. When I want to relax in the summer, I'd rather sit outside or take a stroll in the woods, not sit in supercruise for minutes at a time or wait for geological POIs to take forever to resolve in the FSS...

So yeah, seasons and weather may have something to do with it. If I lived in a place like Greece along the sea, I might not even be a gamer! If I was, I would probably be using the Nintento Switch while looking out over the Med, LOL.

Ironically, Summer is when I'm playing more, as for this is the time when kids and wife spend a lot of time at my parents-in-law, so I have long evening hours to have my gaming fix. Life before family was different, I also spent a lot of time traveling, but now I'm traveling in front of the PC in games like Elite.

Also, I'm living in a city, even though there is a lot of greenery around, it's still a city. I wish we'll be able to move to the countryside at one point though.

I do the same but its harder to come back to every time and i play for a shorter period cause nothing really changes much which is disappointing since ED was going with games as a service route but don't deliver the necessary content as one.

Top Bottom