Newcomer / Intro The Elite: Dangerous Acronym Guide

I don't agree with, NAV Beacon - A waypoint near a sun in core space

A NAV Beacon is a System Data satellite orbiting the systems primary star

If the original post was supposed to be UK English then the the word is metre.
A meter is a measuring instrument.

I'm still trying to figure out why the game name for the Solar System is abbreviated to SOL, when the official abbreviation is SS. The Sun is also called SOL. I get understand that it's the first 3 letters in the word "solar," and has roots in Greek and Latin languages. However, where I come from SOL means, "$#!^ Outta Luck." Based on current world affairs, this just might be an appropriate name. Here's just 2 things I found, but there's much more available:

According to earthsky.org, "The International Astronomical Union hasn’t sanctioned an official name for our sun, and our sun doesn’t have a generally accepted and unique proper name in the English language."

According to Ask an Astronomer, "The scientific name for the Sun is the 'Sun' and it should be capitalized." "The name of the Solar System is the 'Solar System.'"

In closing, I'm back where I started, and basically SOL.

Rooks o7

Last edited:
I'm still trying to figure out why the game name for the Solar System is abbreviated to SOL, when the official abbreviation is SS.
Because the word system is used to describe any system. We don't often say it when referring to other systems ("we're headed to the Alpha Centauri System"), it's a word that describes any other star system and therefore does not need to be said (we're headed to Alpha Centauri").

I get it that it's the first 3 letters in the word "solar," and has roots in Greek and Latin languages.
That's it, it's officially the Latin name for the Sun. Solar means "of the sun." It may seem a little egotistical for us to call our system Sol, but it's be the same as an alien race referring to their star as "The Center" or something. Based on our culture point of reference, our sun was the first one we discovered. It'll make things VERY entertaining when we eventually encounter aliens and the universal translators get all our cultural touchstones confused with their cultural touchstones. "We harnessed the power of the sun" may translate as "we control the star you orbit around." LOL

That's it, it's officially the Latin name for the Sun. Solar means "of the sun." It may seem a little egotistical for us to call our system Sol, but it's be the same as an alien race referring to their star as "The Center" or something. Based on our culture point of reference, our sun was the first one we discovered. It'll make things VERY entertaining when we eventually encounter aliens and the universal translators get all our cultural touchstones confused with their cultural touchstones. "We harnessed the power of the sun" may translate as "we control the star you orbit around." LOL
It makes me wonder why the IAU didn't name it SOL in the first place. Everything else in the Solar System is named after Roman deities.

But here's a thought. Art has often imitated life. With technological advancements, life began imitating art. (Star Trek TOS communicator = flip phone) Wouldn't it be something if the IAU eventually names the Sun "SOL," because of the increasingly common usage of the term in the games we're playing now?

Rooks o7

It makes me wonder why the IAU didn't name it SOL in the first place. Everything else in the Solar System is named after Roman deities.

No it isn't (... not even ALL the planets are named after Roman deities).

BTW - Your Galaxy Map shows the names of the stars. Our star is called Sol (well actually it is called the Sun but in the game it is called Sol) - therefore on the map you see Sol.

Last edited:
Because the word system is used to describe any system. We don't often say it when referring to other systems ("we're headed to the Alpha Centauri System"), it's a word that describes any other star system and therefore does not need to be said (we're headed to Alpha Centauri").

Regarding the name of our dear ol' solar system

http://earthsky.org/space/what-is-the-suns-name

Sol and Luna are poetic names for The Sun and The Moon, although in Swedish The Sun is actually called Solen or simply Sol when it's not definite (i'm not sure what the grammatical term is in English.).

Top Bottom