Supposed to be allowed 18 bones, failed at 10 (screenshots included)

So, I'm making a first upload attempt of my little butterfly, but I ran into a *cough* bug.

The guide indicates we're allowed up to 18 bones, and this was also stated during the livestream. However, I'm getting a "Too many bones" error with the max number listed as 8. My armature contains 10. Here are screenshots of both the error and my armature:

The images aren't showing up for me but are you sure that you even need 10 bones for the butterfly? You should be able to get away with just 1-2 bones for each wing unless you're also moving around the body too? Can't see the images tho [tongue]

Hmm, that's a good point, I could probably reduce to 8 since the wings don't need to be attached to the body for this standing version. But there is some additional animation in the head and antennae, so I don't see a way to go lower than 8. (Body = 1, head = 1, extenders to each antenna = 2, and the antenna themselves = 2)

Still, that allows me to upload it and see if I've got everything else right. Thanks for the idea! :)

We are supposed to be able to use 18, though, so it's still a bug. I just realized I should probably add it under bug reports so it doesn't get lost in the shuffle. I planned to do a hovering/flapping version that would require the wings and body be attached, and also would have some additional leg movement, so I'll need them for that. Plus the rather ridiculous number of things I want to try and make for the game. :D

Weird that the images aren't showing! I guess I should sign up for imgur or something, I've just been uploading them to my own domain, but it's not always reliable. :/

Frontier has their own attachment feature; click "Go Advanced" and then click the little paperclip next to the smiley face. Imgur is also really easy if you do go that route. You don't even need an account to upload images, just a simple drag and drop.

Please go an look at the guide again, it states that joints count as bones and as such there are actually 21 "bones" in this model in the eyes of TMTK

Frontier has their own attachment feature; click "Go Advanced" and then click the little paperclip next to the smiley face. Imgur is also really easy if you do go that route. You don't even need an account to upload images, just a simple drag and drop.
Thank you! I didn't realize we could attach items, I'll give that a shot next time.

Please go an look at the guide again, it states that joints count as bones and as such there are actually 21 "bones" in this model in the eyes of TMTK
I can confirm that is not the case, for two reasons. For one, the error specifically says, "Count: 10, Max: 8". At no point does the uploader assume my armature uses more than the 10 bones. I think that note in the guide is a little ambiguous, but I believe when it says "joints", it's referring to bones that do nothing on their own, but are necessary to extend to the next bone that does move. (For example, my butterfly has a bone for the body, the head, and the two antennae, but it also has a pair of bones that go from the head up to the start of each antenna. Those bones do nothing on their own, but are necessary to make sure the antennae turn when the head does. Make sense?)

And the second reason, I uploaded a version with two bones removed per cerealfruitcake's suggestion, and I did not receive the "TooManyBones" error. (I received a totally different error that I am looking into, but that's another story.)

Top Bottom