Roadmap leaked??

..., but having the game go full CoD against aliens would be a huge misstep in my opinion. I am not looking for that type of gameplay.
It might be obvious for most, but I have not thought about fighting aliens on foot, at least not until atmospheric landings (and involving other aliens). Most activities rely on human adversaries.
It would make sense to reveal the "new" Thargoids at some point, although they could let them travel in imposing support vehicles forever, never showing their "faces" and let the players imagine whatever they like.

CoD-like "follow the instructions" cinematic missions would be a rather strange departure from the current gameplay, maybe a few tutorial missions to ease players into the concept.

That being said, I don't think this leak is genuine either.

... So excited that its space legs. ...
This comment is something that irks me about this community since day 1 of the kickstarter. Someone starts a rumour, people pick up on it, and then others treat that as fact.
Karrde Sun, you were referring to the "leaked" roadmap with this comment. I'll burst your bubble, it's fake. Don't treat it as real until someone at Frontier, probably Will or Paige, or maybe even Adam Woods, confirm anything about what is coming. They stay silent exactly because of things like this. The moment any of us get a whiff of a rumour we jump on it, and set our expectations higher than we should.

Do I want Atmospheric Landings, Walking Around and lots of other cool features THAT WE KEEP ADDING TO THIS GAME, not Frontier, we do .... of course I want those things, but more than that, I want Frontier to announce those things are coming, and I won't believe it until they announce it.

...snip/ Don't treat it as real until someone at Frontier, probably Will or Paige, or maybe even Adam Woods, confirm anything about what is coming.
How about, "or fail (miserably) to deny it"?

Did you catch the Distant Worlds 2 and the April Update stream? Look what pops up in the comments around 1:04:10 and pay close attention to what Will and Paige say in response after reading it out loud...

FDev staffers are not renowned for their poker faces and Braben's is rubbish! :p

Planet Coaster 2 raise red flags to me, why would they already be working on two, when there still so much potential to be built on.

Plus another oddity is that Sony and Frontier team up to get ghostbusters into Planet Coaster and no other projects. Seem a bit weird to me, especially as Universal license Jurassic park to Frontier an alliance other properties to frontier for planet coaster.

Jurassic Park survival game make sense given the ending of the last film.
Yeah the PC2 is the most throbbing oddity for me. (Not that I can't see FDev doing it, but it does seem a low ball strategy, and a bit fraught with market-flooding issues. Only thing that could swing it for me is if they've really pushed on their park tech with other ongoing work & could really amp up the functionality)

Ghost Busters mini-franchising also does seem a bit off / odd now you mention it. I guess something like that could be a spin-off from a relationship with the studio etc, for a smaller IP. (Or just a cheeky 'take' on the theme perhaps ;)). Will be interesting to see if anything that shape pops up...

Last edited:
The sarcasm is strong with this one.
I was trying to emphasis the point that Frontier don't raise our expectations, we do.

Yes, I do accept that when Frontier announce something, then they raise our expectations, but 99% of the time, we do it to ourselves.
Ahh ok, fair play :D

How about, "or fail (miserably) to deny it"?

Did you catch the Distant Worlds 2 and the April Update stream? Look what pops up in the comments around 1:04:10 and pay close attention to what Will and Paige say in response after reading it out loud...

FDev staffers are not renowned for their poker faces and Braben's is rubbish! :p
Oooh, that's a goof. Didn't catch that when I watched it.

The knowing glance, the over-emphasis on "the future", and tripping over the year. Juicy.

I stopped watching or paying attention to anything by OA a long time ago.

Yamiks is at least funny, but they are both just hunting for likes.

I think I will stick to watching and taking my info from updates from Frontier.

I wouldn't be suprised if it's true, with the mentality of gamers today, which they preffer to dress up their avatars and buy pinky/golden hello kitty paintjobs for their guns and outfits over actual content game developers tend to build their games around microtransactions.

So spacelegs/FPS and basebuilding seems believeable;
-existing outfits, nameplates and paintjobs in FD store
-so this will expand store content with guns paintjobs, stations nameplates and shiny billboards and all kind of decorations for it.

I don't have anything against it if they deliver some basic atmosphere planet landings with it, otherwise i'll just skip it.
Not interested in FPS or basebuilding!

I think It's hearsay mixed up with speculation. How much is hearsay and how much is speculation is the question though.

I am sure any "leaked" roadmap is fake but I see no harm in discussing stuff for the future even off pie in the sky. I think most people realise it is all theory crafting and won't set it in stone (mind you I know some like to say the DDF was nothing other than complete theory crafting and that Devs never signed that off either and that I DO disagree with.
RE base building hypothetically (and this is nothing to do with the leaks) if it is a personalised thing I can do in my own instance or together in a wing this would be fab, some sort of long term goal to give purpose for a few months over multiple sessions this would be fab. No need to be on the FD servers just store on a groups local HDDs.
If it is something which needs 100,000s tons of stuff and is just like the station repairs or worse still is something like in ARK where some Berk can just come and destroy everything whilst I am asleep then personally I would not bother with i.
2020 is sure gonna be interesting . Will the game go back closer to it's roots and have more content which are more personal goals and get some proper persistence in the game (at least locally) or will they go even more towards the MMO type game.
However it goes I will still be playing the question is for me will I be dipping in and out now and then for a VR fix or will I be dropping everything and ignoring all my other titles for a few years again and hopefully becoming the fanboy of elite I was 2 years ago.

Oooh, that's a goof. Didn't catch that when I watched it.

The knowing glance, the over-emphasis on "the future", and tripping over the year. Juicy.
Plus the fact they chose to answer it in the first place, many times this question goes uncommented on.

I've no problem with spacelegs or base building, as long as the later fits into the lore and way the game plays and isn't some bonkers 'create crazy arsed structures anywhere you like, when you like', type affair.

It would seem odd to allow base building on airless moons only, if as the 'leak' suggests, atmospheric planets are not due in 2020.

As always with Elite many things are possible and they could arrive in a variety of sequences depending on how Frontier think they should be done. I wouldn't expect any comments from FDev on the leak unless everything in it is wrong.

So spacelegs/FPS and basebuilding seems believeable;
-existing outfits, nameplates and paintjobs in FD store
-so this will expand store content with guns paintjobs, stations nameplates and shiny billboards and all kind of decorations for it.
So Sims: Space legs then.

Uncharacteristic phraseology aside, what makes people think that a company as tightlipped as FD is going to give access to a tech-artist an all-encompassing document like that?

I don't have anything against it if they deliver some basic atmosphere planet landings with it, otherwise i'll just skip it.
Not interested in FPS or basebuilding!
I think the idea, for example, of extending bounty hunting missions via spacelegs is an excellent reason to have it in the game. You could even mix it with survival style elements and hunt people down on planetary surfaces. Taking small items of handheld cargo for delivery whilst being hunted down could be another option. Those personal artefacts we scoop up could be part of a mission to find escape capsules and return them to their families. Scanning bases could involve breaking into them on foot. Of course it has to be done well and it is a lot of work beyond just the relatively simple task of rigging a model.

Top Bottom