Roadmap leaked??

Honestly, guys, do you seriously think that spacelegs would be possible with current P2P networking design?
Ya'll experiencing brief slutter while changing instances in supercruise. There are issues winging together in same instance not mentioning state where actual multi-crew is right now. Networking model is sluttering-unstable trash compared to nowadays standarts and it's simply incompatible with anything related to spacelegs.
I think any assumption that the 2yr production time of New Era doesn't include extensive networking revamps/improvements would be a naive one.

Protip: Read "How To Lose Friends And Infuriate People", then play in SOLO...

Networking, other CMDRs? What! Miserable old gits have no such problems, lol!

I, for one, am actually very glad to see so many people CARE about the game enough to engage in hot debates all over the internet, no matter the opinion! As long as everyone keeps it civil, that is. Generally speaking, in order for a leak to become official, it needs to be backed up heavily with proofs other than "someone told me something and here it is", which is just a rumor.

Personally, I would love atmospheric landings before space legs, but if it happens the other way around, so what? Won't be the first time I didn't get what I want and it won't be the last, for sure.

o7

Saying the current networking is 'completely incompatible' with Cmdr-scale gameplay is way overblown.
Yeah, you're right i got carried a little... But you must admit that state it is now is not satisfying for seamless/smooth gameplay. Nice example is multicrew experience which is crucial factor how would CMDR-scale interations look like. Personally, any session stable longer than 40 minutes is success and its evident it's not seamless when interacting your enviroment.

I, for one, am actually very glad to see so many people CARE about the game enough to engage in hot debates all over the internet, no matter the opinion! As long as everyone keeps it civil, that is. Generally speaking, in order for a leak to become official, it needs to be backed up heavily with proofs other than "someone told me something and here it is", which is just a rumor.

Personally, I would love atmospheric landings before space legs, but if it happens the other way around, so what? Won't be the first time I didn't get what I want and it won't be the last, for sure.

o7
I'm good with whichever comes first, but i agree with you, its nice to see the comunity of such a niche game to be so active.

Yeah, you're right i got carried a little... But you must admit that state it is now is not satisfying for seamless/smooth gameplay. Nice example is multicrew experience which is crucial factor how would CMDR-scale interations look like. Personally, any session stable longer than 40 minutes is success and its evident it's not seamless when interacting your enviroment.
of course space legs does not necessarily mean multiplayer space legs! all this networking stuff only becomes an issue if they go the standard MMO direction. I have played many many FPS games over P2P and they worked perfectly in small groups. (I am actually not holding out much hope that it wont just be MP only and players in solo wont have a great deal to do........ but we dont know for sure.

indeed..... if it is MP focussed it makes it hard anyway. remember back in the dev diaries and we heard about ships boarding and piracy. this is fine if it is vs and against NPCs only................. BUT what a mess it will be if it is MP focussed. if people pull the plug / disconnect and you are not on your ship but are boarding - potential mess.
are people without the boarding DLC magically protected from being boarded? if they are that is pretty lame - i cant board that ship because they do not have the dlc....

but if not then does that mean players wont be able to defend themselves?

Maybe FD will allow this to be a free upgrade to the base game? but that is a lot of content given out for free... and a great deal of players really will have no interest in it.... should they be forced out of open just to stop people boarding their ship?

space legs imo would be much easier to do well, with proper content if it is small co-op PvE or solo PvE content. of course i am biased as that is how i like to game but ime unless you want ED to be some arena shooter then co-op PvE just works better for role play imo

of course space legs does not necessarily mean multiplayer space legs! all this networking stuff only becomes an issue if they go the standard MMO direction. I have played many many FPS games over P2P and they worked perfectly in small groups. (I am actually not holding out much hope that it wont just be MP only and players in solo wont have a great deal to do........ but we dont know for sure.

indeed..... if it is MP focussed it makes it hard anyway. remember back in the dev diaries and we heard about ships boarding and piracy. this is fine if it is vs and against NPCs only................. BUT what a mess it will be if it is MP focussed. if people pull the plug / disconnect and you are not on your ship but are boarding - potential mess.
are people without the boarding DLC magically protected from being boarded? if they are that is pretty lame - i cant board that ship because they do not have the dlc....

but if not then does that mean players wont be able to defend themselves?

Maybe FD will allow this to be a free upgrade to the base game? but that is a lot of content given out for free... and a great deal of players really will have no interest in it.... should they be forced out of open just to stop people boarding their ship?

space legs imo would be much easier to do well, with proper content if it is small co-op PvE or solo PvE content. of course i am biased as that is how i like to game but ime unless you want ED to be some arena shooter then co-op PvE just works better for role play imo
If the next expansion is FPP gameplay then I also would prefer solo and co-op PvE. Not at all interested in PvP arena shooters. But I still don't think it will be FPP gameplay. I'm still sticking with atmospheric planets.

Co-Op PvE might be fun, which is why I created a PG but of the half dozen people I know on Steam that also have the game only one plays at all, let alone with any kind of regularity. The rest basically quit in disgust and chucked it in the too hard, too boring or not enough like X3 file and play other games instead.

Due to a healthy contempt for having my time wasted in other open world PvP games, long before ED came along, which has only been reinforced by my limited forays into OPEN I really don't see what's such a big deal about bothering to interact with rando's online when they mostly turn out to be [redacted].

Learn to like your own company and there's no need to care about dodgy P2P networking. ;)

Has gravity changed much recently? It was 1G in the dinosaurs' time too :)
Do we know someone that's still alive to guarantee that as a fact? I'm not convinced the records on even recent history are all that accurate, theories like plate tectonics are still fairly new and they still haven't figured out why Pangaea didn't include a counterbalancing land mass to deal with the fluid dynamics.

Lots of unanswered questions over immense time periods and evidence that appears to be ignored.

Edit: If you watch the two linked videos they discuss the mechanical issues of dinosaurs at 1G.

Last edited:
Don't worry, Stellar Forge will show us the truth. ;)
No need, NOAA already did the hard work for us and published this map which, if you take a long hard look at it and scratch your head a little, would suggest that around half of the ocean floor today, simply did not exist 100 million years ago, and in the time of the dinosaurs only the Mediterranean was formed.

So where was it? And if it wasn't here, did the tectonic plates fit together, on a much smaller planet?

Pretty much any competent geologist.
Um, yeah, after many years of studying the establishment dogma.

Have another look at the map and think about what you see, for yourself ;)

Edit: And I meant someone who was alive back then, and is still alive now. :p

Last edited:
Do we know someone that's still alive to guarantee that as a fact? I'm not convinced the records on even recent history are all that accurate, theories like plate tectonics are still fairly new and they still haven't figured out why Pangaea didn't include a counterbalancing land mass to deal with the fluid dynamics.
Pretty sure that things like ice-core samples, sediment and geology can verify that the Earth's gravity has remained historically fairly constant.

A quick google search seems to suggest that most of the theories involving significant gravitational changes are the remit of crypto-zoologists and tinfoil-hatters.

http://www.rationalskepticism.org/earth-sciences/was-the-effect-of-gravity-on-earth-less-in-the-past-t42288.html

I'll eat my own hat. No way that's true. How would base building even work with the current persistence and networking and instancing issues the game currently has?
Unless FD go for dedicated servers or NMS style Base Uploads (which seems plausible), I agree. However, I wouldn't totally rule the leak out until FD gives a full response.

Top Bottom