Rift S Help Please

Good Afternoon
Today I got the Rift S and I am trying to get ED to work through the headset. I went to My ED account Page and got the partner key. I tried to add it to Oculus and it returned "Unknown Error" so I though it was a steam key, but steam said it was invalid.

I launched ED anyway and after setting the game to accept games from "Unknown Sources" it did let me in, I can see the cockpit but it was like I was sitting on the floor :)

Any help or links to you tube would be helpful, many thanks

paul

There is an option in Elite called "reset HMD orientation" or similar. Map a key to it, sit in a comfortable position and press it. Your head should rest on your virtual shouldrrs in a correct way ;).

I've just purchased a shiny new Rift S this week, and the game looks lovely, but I also have this viewpoint between my feet issue (as well as a clearly misplaced view on the main menu).

I've got the F12 bound to reset HMD position, and that takes me to the right place, but what is odd is that after some amount of movement or time, it's snapping me back to that floor position. I can spam the button and see it take me back to the chair, then back to my feet again. Feels like something is fighting back against the settings, but I can't find any guidance anywhere as to what it might be. Sometimes it's within a couple of seconds, sometimes if I sit very still it can stay in the right place for a while. Other times I can shake my head and move around and it doesn't snap back for a while, so maybe me moving is a red herring.

Game and drivers are all up to date, and I'm running the game through Oculus Home (as opposed to SteamVR). None of my other Oculus apps are showing any similar issues, nor any tracking problems in general. And that includes ones like XPlane where I can reset my view into other positions (but let's face it, who wants to fly a Cessna over a Krait Phantom?).

Any help would be appreciated, because it's unplayable for me in this state.

Have you set up the Guardian boundaries?

I had a similar problem after the Rift S update which attempted to “guess” where the floor level was - in my case it kept placing me about 12 feet in the air. If the headset is losing tracking for some reason it may be reverting to its default position. It only happened once for me while playing Skyrim VR, but I’d redone the Guardian setup before playing Elite so I don’t know if that might be the cause of your problem.

Hope you get it sorted!

I have set up the Guardian bounds, yeah, went through all the (super shiny) tutorial things that come with the Rift that guide you through that stuff.
Originally I thought that maybe it was objecting to the fact that my front boundary was at the front of my desk instead of the back, but I've redefined the boundaries to include the desk space as well and it makes no difference.

Ah, shame it’s not an easy solution then. Are you getting any of the indications that the headset is losing tracking, like the colours becoming muted?

The only issues I’ve had with the Rift S (excepting the on-going static flash problems) have been solved by redoing the Guardian setup and then disabling it, and moving the USB connector to a different port.

Edit: this might sound like a daft idea, but have you checked to see if it’s a dodgy button or key you’ve got bound to resetting the view? I once spent ages trying to track down a problem in a game, turned out one of the function keys had got stuck almost “on”, so it was giving intermittent inputs when the keyboard moved.

Last edited:
Didn't realise muted colours were sign of losing tracking, but yeah, that's happening. Guardian disabled makes no difference. Changing ports makes no difference (though all 4 ports are on the same PCI-E USB card, my motherboard doesn't have USB3 natively). Definitely not a key stuck thing, fairly sure of that.

If it's a tracking thing, it's something caused by the game itself. No other titles have any issues, even seated in the exact same position. What's really messed up though is that it works fine on the front end (before I select Continue), and it is rock solid in Training mode, no glitches at all. But as soon as I load into my actual commander, no matter if it's in Solo play or Open, before it's even finished loading, while it's still showing the spinning ship, it starts glitching. Must be something in my profile, but damned if I can figure out what.

Filed an issue for it anyway.

Last edited:
If it’s a tracking issue, at least that’s narrowed it down a bit. Weird that it only kicks in once Elite starts communicating online in earnest.

I know an early solution to Rift S tracking issues was to ensure the Touch controllers were visible to the headset, even if not being used.

If it’s a hardware load issue, have you tried lowering your game settings?

I had, but to the Low quality setting. Checking that menu again, turns out there's VR Low as well, and that make a massive difference! It still glitches, but only occasionally. So presumably the training scenarios are lighter on the system than a station. If I crank that up to VR Medium or VR High I start to see the glitching problem again. Will amend the ticket appropriately, but thanks for the tip, it's playable now, just finished a decent session of combat with only a couple of glitches.

Perhaps thats you issue. I read elsewhere of a similar tracking issue that was resolved by plugging the USB into the motherboard's USB 3 port.
I get the issue and my Rift S is plugged in to the USB 3 port on my MB

I also don't get this issue on any other game, the screen greys out for a split second and then my view changes to the right side of my lap, I hit F12, it resets and sometimes it's good for a minute, sometimes 30 minutes.

It's a real headscratcher.

I get the issue and my Rift S is plugged in to the USB 3 port on my MB

I also don't get this issue on any other game, the screen greys out for a split second and then my view changes to the right side of my lap, I hit F12, it resets and sometimes it's good for a minute, sometimes 30 minutes.

It's a real headscratcher.
Any chance you could mark the issue I filed as "confirmed", if you see similar behaviour? Might help it rise above the dev noise and get feedback from Frontier faster. Cheers.

What you can try is to pull off the Rift-S face-mask and pull the plug from the headset and put it back firmly. I had issues with mine too, but it was due to the cable being plugged in sloppy. I see, that you two only have this problem with Elite, but maybe... and it costs nothing to try.
Here is a video how to remove the mask, just in case:
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHq88xul52o

What you can try is to pull off the Rift-S face-mask and pull the plug from the headset and put it back firmly. I had issues with mine too, but it was due to the cable being plugged in sloppy. I see, that you two only have this problem with Elite, but maybe... and it costs nothing to try.
Here is a video how to remove the mask, just in case:
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHq88xul52o
This makes no difference, for me at least. And that's probably not surprising, given that it's 100% reproducible by changing only display quality settings from high to VR low, that wouldn't do anything to fix a loose cable.

Top Bottom