Reduce Module and Ship Transfer Times

Other aspects of this discussion aside, this bit makes no sense. When your ship is being transferred to your current location, one of two things is happening.

1. You've posted an advert for a pilot to fly your ship to your current location, in which case it should take as long as it would take an average pilot to fly your ship to your location, not magically give your ship the longest possible jump range.

2. You've requested that your ship be shipped to you within the hold of a massive transport vessel capable of carrying at least one, if not multiple ships, within its cargo bay. Why should this type of ship (a T-42?) have the jump range of an uber-lightweight stripped-down exploraconda?
1. I would fly ships to locations. I don't expect those would be the actual ships of the pilots who needed transfers else they would never populate in Solo. It would be a mission to build on the concept of ship transfers if ship transfers were done that way.

2. Because all ships will have the same transfer time and it should be based on the fastest transfer to avoid penalizing people who have built for higher jump range. Else it wouldn't be "at least as fast as piloting it" for all commanders.

My suggestion is maybe have a megaship that hops along a route between colonia and the bubble at a fairly lax pace. Like a limited-scope Gnosis.
People don't have to gouge their eyes out honk-jumping if they want to get to Colonia, the time investment is still there, and it lets people bring multiple ships up there without losing all their assets. Just takes a long, long time.

Probably a bad idea for some reason I don't understand, but I like my dockable megaships.

My suggestion is maybe have a megaship that hops along a route between colonia and the bubble at a fairly lax pace. Like a limited-scope Gnosis.
People don't have to gouge their eyes out honk-jumping if they want to get to Colonia, the time investment is still there, and it lets people bring multiple ships up there without losing all their assets. Just takes a long, long time.

Probably a bad idea for some reason I don't understand, but I like my dockable megaships.
I was using Colonia as an extreme example of wait time. While I was there I shipped a couple big ships and it took quite some time to receive them. I didn't mind because I was planning on being there a while and it's not as big as the bubble. In retrospect I should have left Colonia and far stations like the new, distant ones completely out of the discussion, however since ship transfers all happen at the same speed based on distance instead of build (based on a shadowy mega-ship that hauls them, something from Pirates of the Caribbean" I imagine), even modules take that long. I'd at least like to see modules have some universal application and not have the same wait times that ships have.

However there are obviously choices to be made while playing, and this game often requires research outside of the game to maximize your gaming experience in the game (assuming you're not just pew pewing NPCs in the same res sites, did that a lot early on). Unfortunately I don't have the time these days to spend that much of it just to plan on traveling 10 or 15 jumps. I understand though that the game has to work for everyone so my suggestion is like a wish list. I've said repeatedly I'd be ok with it not happening if that's the consensus.

even modules take that long
Just noting: modules include stuff like class 8 life support, which is a framework that has to support an entire Beluga Liner. I think having it transported via the same means as ships is only sensible.

Just noting: modules include stuff like class 8 life support, which is a framework that has to support an entire Beluga Liner. I think having it transported via the same means as ships is only sensible.
If it's a module then it doesn't integrate with the entire ship. If it did you'd need to disassemble the entire ship to remove it. Instead, it's a larger plug and play reserve. I consider it like an O2 bottle system in case the ship power drops and your scrubber is out.

It's a bit odd that your canopy can rupture and you can still be alive even though your avatar has no helmet on.

If it's a module then it doesn't integrate with the entire ship. If it did you'd need to disassemble the entire ship to remove it. Instead, it's a larger plug and play reserve. I consider it like an O2 bottle system in case the ship power drops and your scrubber is out.

It's a bit odd that your canopy can rupture and you can still be alive even though your avatar has no helmet on.
The helmet auto-deploys in an emergency. Go to third-person cam when your canopy is ruptured or your life support is off.

How are ships getting transferred anyways? Presumably by megaship carriers or some kind of tugship equivalent, and I suspect these have a really long jump range, since we know that stations do. Modules are likely being shipped by small parts running vessels.

It shouldn't take 6 or 7 minutes to get modules from another station in the same system.

How are ships getting transferred anyways? Presumably by megaship carriers or some kind of tugship equivalent, and I suspect these have a really long jump range, since we know that stations do. Modules are likely being shipped by small parts running vessels.

It shouldn't take 6 or 7 minutes to get modules from another station in the same system.
I would understand the push back if faster transfer times changed something about someone's game. It doesn't. You cannot complete a mission with a transfer, in fact you lose money. If you could transfer faster, you'd transfer more often, then you'd have less money and need to make more, so you'd do more money making stuff instead of whine about materials and how saturated the void opal market is. (The term "you" is being used to mean everyone in general, not you specifically). I see several threads about people not seeing anyone in Open or in a private group, for weeks. I'd think that the last thing developers want is a game mechanic that coerces folks to log out.

I buy paint jobs. I buy ship kits. I have the bobble heads and the planets and ID plates. I have these for the ships I fly. I would have them for other ships that I don't fly often but I cannot find the will power to have them transferred to where I am, since I'll likely be leaving soon anyhow, and wait for their arrivals. I cannot count the number of times I've transferred a ship to a station and no longer be there when it arrived, only to have to transfer it again. What good does that do for anyone else? How much extra real money does that make for Frontier?

Last edited:
The last ship I transferred to Colonia was an FDL with a 16 LY range and a 2A fuel scoop [1]. It cost me about 130 million for the transfer, which I considered an absolute bargain compared with what it would have taken to get it out there myself.

But sure, if it's about gameplay I'll pay you 130 million in gems if you put up a verifiable video of you flying a similarly outfitted FDL from the bubble to Colonia in under 61 hours of real time.

[1] And an OC3 power plant, so I can only use about half of the scoop's max rate before I start to get thermal issues.
I said a few hours and a billion.

I said a few hours and a billion.
If you can get an FDL of that spec to Colonia in "a few hours" you'll have earned the billion. Or a "Report player for cheating", one or the other.

Realistically between the slow scoop, short range, and lack of AFMU you're probably looking at about 48 hours constant flying, or rather more than 61 hours elapsed time if you include needing to sleep. And you presumably wouldn't do it for the 130 million I actually paid for the ship transfer, while providing a worse quality of service.

(And as for the couple of million I paid to have a Cobra III shipped, presumably there's no chance?)

Conversely, if you have a ship which costs a billion credits to transfer, but which could be flown out in a few hours - a multirole Anaconda, perhaps? - why not fly that ship out and transfer the cheaper ones instead?

If you can get an FDL of that spec to Colonia in "a few hours" you'll have earned the billion. Or a "Report player for cheating", one or the other.

Realistically between the slow scoop, short range, and lack of AFMU you're probably looking at about 48 hours constant flying, or rather more than 61 hours elapsed time if you include needing to sleep. And you presumably wouldn't do it for the 130 million I actually paid for the ship transfer, while providing a worse quality of service.

(And as for the couple of million I paid to have a Cobra III shipped, presumably there's no chance?)

Conversely, if you have a ship which costs a billion credits to transfer, but which could be flown out in a few hours - a multirole Anaconda, perhaps? - why not fly that ship out and transfer the cheaper ones instead?
Since you moved the goal posts, I don't see any reason to go down the new path. Few hours, 1 billion.

Either reduce the ship or module transfer times outright or offer expedited service at a premium.
If this were done, I'd prefer the later, as long as it doesn't break the physics of the game. How long would it take a player to make the trip in a ship with a 50LY jump range? That could be the "expedited" service for shipping modules.

As for ship transfer, I'm curious to the Lore of this. Are ships delivered like cars are today - many stacked on the back of a big truck (aka "Fleet Carriers"), or does someone pick up my Conda and fly it to me like a valet? If the latter, is "expedited" service the maximum speed at which our ship with its defined jump range could make the trip if we ourselves were flying it?

Needless to say, I'm opposed to instant transfer.

If this were done, I'd prefer the later, as long as it doesn't break the physics of the game. How long would it take a player to make the trip in a ship with a 50LY jump range? That could be the "expedited" service for shipping modules.

As for ship transfer, I'm curious to the Lore of this. Are ships delivered like cars are today - many stacked on the back of a big truck (aka "Fleet Carriers"), or does someone pick up my Conda and fly it to me like a valet? If the latter, is "expedited" service the maximum speed at which our ship with its defined jump range could make the trip if we ourselves were flying it?

What desirable aspect or feature of the game would instant transfer take away?

What desirable aspect or feature of the game would instant transfer take away?
Realism, which believe or not matters to many of us. As others have said, the current LONG transfer time a democratic vote by the community. At least I'm willing to consent to reducing that time.

Realism, which believe or not matters to many of us. As others have said, the current LONG transfer time a democratic vote by the community. At least I'm willing to consent to reducing that time.
Of course realism matters. I don't believe it would actually have any effect on realism but that's just me. I believe the Democratic vote was for longer transfer times with smaller prices but we didn't actually get that did we? That's why I chuckle every time I read someone talk about the Democratic process here.

So if they're willing to actually abide by the vote then sure, I'll wait a little longer if it saves me half a billion dollars.

Lore wise ships are transferred via fleet carriers. That's what Sandro or someone else said back in 2016.

The cost doesn't bother me at all. Its a nice balance as it makes you decide whether to go and get your ship or send for it, or fly an alternative ship. If it was any cheaper, sending for it would be the default way to get your ship. As to your price list, I think they are perfectly fine.

As has been stated, if it was instant it would be far more expensive then what it is now as stated by FDev. So if you think it is exorbitant now, it would have been far worse with instant and only available to the very rich.

Prices are fine and this is coming from someone with very little cash. I have around 30million in credits vash, but have a good number of ships.
It's a QOL feature. It's not supposed to be a boon just for players with credits to burn, it should be accessible to all players. The decision to fly to a ship or send for it is there regardless of the price. Why include the option at all if you don't want players to use it? That's nonsensical.

The fact it could have been even worse does not improve the situation whatsoever, either. If anything it just makes it worse, to think that Fdev were considering figures even nuttier than what they went with. And still ignored the wide support for changes like that posted in the graph I shared just now, after it became common knowledge what the prices were going to be.

It does not serve the interests of the game or the players to lock QOL features behind exorbitant prices. That's just adding one more frustration to the pile of reasons for players to look at and go, "Why am I playing this as opposed to something else?" Q.E.D. my case in particular.

It's a QOL feature. It's not supposed to be a boon just for players with credits to burn, it should be accessible to all players. The decision to fly to a ship or send for it is there regardless of the price. Why include the option at all if you don't want players to use it? That's nonsensical.

The fact it could have been even worse does not improve the situation whatsoever, either. If anything it just makes it worse, to think that Fdev were considering figures even nuttier than what they went with. And still ignored the wide support for changes like that posted in the graph I shared just now, after it became common knowledge what the prices were going to be.

It does not serve the interests of the game or the players to lock QOL features behind exorbitant prices. That's just adding one more frustration to the pile of reasons for players to look at and go, "Why am I playing this as opposed to something else?" Q.E.D. my case in particular.
It is accessible to all players. Sorry but I have a different opinion on it to you. The game doesn't actively discourage it. It give you options. If it's cheap, then every one will use the easiest option which is natural. You then loose that other option as a viable alternative.

For me it's fine as is. Sometimes I call my ship, sometimes I go and get it, sometimes I buy a ship where I am all depending on circumstances. It's how it should be as far as I am concerned.

Top Bottom