Recent Galactic Initiative 'vote' - Frontier's Forum Dictating the Direction of the Game

IIRC

Outside competing CGs the times I think the community had input in something that changed the game
The System that Unity star port was built in was decided by Community vote based on which of the candidate systems got the exploration data scanned and sold the most
The Vote on ship and module transfers was via the newsletter
The Imperial Succession seemed to be based on Power Play Rankings
The Dangerous Games but a competition rather than a vote
The Colonia Colonization Faction selection but a competition rather than a vote

Anyone else think of other times?

Steam charts \o/

That aside, in my opinion it was a cheap shot to make it a forum vote. Meaningless vote or not, but this should be ingame.

Thanks for the input. You may well be right.
Obviously, he is. It’s a conjurer’s trick. Pick a card, which conjurer wants you to pick. In this case, all cards are suitable and equally irrelevant. But you feel as if you made a decision in the Direction of the Game. And even reproach FD for not putting meaningless vote to a wider audience.

Automatic random location picking and you don’t need to waste precious time of thosands of people.

OP, if you are really upset about the system chosen why not go to that system and display your anger.

There are actions you could take as a lone player which might effect the entire ii for the rest of the playerbase.

How do you like those apples?

I'm a PS4 player that's been loosely following the news about the interstellar initiative, so I was pretty much waiting for something to happen in-game so we could make the destination choice. I was surprised to find that I needed to vote online and also very disappointed that I couldn't because I don't have access to a pc. The problem with using a tablet is that IT DOESN'T HAVE ALL THE PC ABILITIES AND I CAN'T VOTE OR EVEN SEE THE MAJORITY OF POLLS !!!!!
If I'm honest I'm still not sure what the interstellar initiative really is or how it replaces community goals. Will we be getting new in-game activities to do to guide the lore or is it all out of game decision making where tablet users can't contribute.
Which now lead me into the next big problem. I've opened tickets in the past and then been asked by someone at the other end to provide screenshots. Just F great. So first I upload my screenshots from my console to my twitter account. Then I open my twitter on my tablet and take screenshots of the screenshots. I then have to edit/crop the screenshots before uploading them to issue tracker. FILE NOT SUPPORTED, honestly WTF frontier ? Is everything that you do for the game deliberately broken ? Because from where I'm standing it looks like people have game problems and are unable to report them unless they have a PC. I really do hope that not everyone that uses a tablet suffers this.

OP, Frontier are only going to do with ED what Frontier want, so I've long since given over even starting to try to analyse what, how or why they do things anymore.

Even if a small % of the forum community come to the forums with thoughts & idea's.....if it ain't on Frontier's list, it ain't getting done.

BTW, I voted on the forum. Want to know how I voted on the forum?......I asked my wife to pick a number from 1 to 5.

I would also have preferred to have some sort of in-game voting for it - either directly or through some sort of in-game indirect method, such as "the candidate system with the most players visiting in the next 7 days". But I don't think it matters that much or necessarily affected the result.

The entire amount of votes cast was: 3,477. The system chosen was Synuefe EN-H d11-96. Total votes cast in favour of this system: 1,368. A second system might also have been chosen, perhaps the second most popular (based on the views of the limited number of users on this forum).

Basically, 1,368 people have made a decision for thousands of other players (total participants in this phase of the 'Galactic Initiative' was 3,477).

In the last 30 days the peak was 9109 players (STEAM only).
The Steam stats are concurrent players, so that was the 9109 at the instant with the highest player count. Converting that to total active players requires you to make unreliable assumptions about the average play time per day an individual player has - for example, if you assume the average player plays for an hour when they play, then you can multiply that 4000ish average concurrent player count by 24 [1] to get a total daily active Steam player count of about 100,000 ... and then make further assumptions about the size of non-Steam PC, Xbox and PS4, and further assumptions about how many people only log in on some days, to get an actual estimate of total active players.

(Of the people on my friends list, about 1/6th are "once a day" players, and another 1/3 are "at least once a week" players, with most of the rest having logged in at least once in the last few months - other people may have different views of their own lists - but that shows the difficulty in going from concurrent "who is logged in now" to total active "who logs in at least once in a particular time period")

Anyway, there are various ways to get rough estimates of total active player numbers, which I won't go into detail here, but which tend to give figures in the 200,000 - 300,000 range.

...but, back to the voting...

Total participants = 3477 is obviously not particularly high (~1-2% of the active players estimate). On the other hand, the Interstellar Initiatives are basically the old Community Goals with a bit more integration with Galnet and a bit more customisation stuck around them. Community Goals also didn't get particularly high participation - 3,477 would have been a moderately high figure for a trade CG held in 2019.

So it may be a much higher percentage of those participating in the CGs than those who actually voted.

We'll see what the actual participation in the first CG (starts tomorrow) is like - that'll probably be a good estimate of people who care much about which system it was in the first place.

Another point is that, in this case, the result of the vote was not particularly important. I've seen considerably more important real-world elections, where the body running them went to the trouble of posting a ballot paper and prepaid return envelope to every voter, get turnouts of around 10%. To get 1-2% turnout in "which of these anonymous and fairly similar systems should we build an outpost in" isn't actually that bad...

[1] Yes, this is also an approximation because you'd also have to make assumptions about how that average is made up and you get very different answers for "everyone plays exactly an hour" and "one person plays continuously 24 hours a day while 48 other people play half an hour each".

Doesnt matter anyway.
All these thousands of players that dont come to the forums and didnt get the chance to participate in the vote, probably didnt and still dont have any idea that there is something going on that players can get involved in.
Whole thing is a mess.

I would also have preferred to have some sort of in-game voting for it - either directly or through some sort of in-game indirect method, such as "the candidate system with the most players visiting in the next 7 days". But I don't think it matters that much or necessarily affected the result.

The Steam stats are concurrent players, so that was the 9109 at the instant with the highest player count. Converting that to total active players requires you to make unreliable assumptions about the average play time per day an individual player has - for example, if you assume the average player plays for an hour when they play, then you can multiply that 4000ish average concurrent player count by 24 [1] to get a total daily active Steam player count of about 100,000 ... and then make further assumptions about the size of non-Steam PC, Xbox and PS4, and further assumptions about how many people only log in on some days, to get an actual estimate of total active players.

(Of the people on my friends list, about 1/6th are "once a day" players, and another 1/3 are "at least once a week" players, with most of the rest having logged in at least once in the last few months - other people may have different views of their own lists - but that shows the difficulty in going from concurrent "who is logged in now" to total active "who logs in at least once in a particular time period")

Anyway, there are various ways to get rough estimates of total active player numbers, which I won't go into detail here, but which tend to give figures in the 200,000 - 300,000 range.

...but, back to the voting...

Total participants = 3477 is obviously not particularly high (~1-2% of the active players estimate). On the other hand, the Interstellar Initiatives are basically the old Community Goals with a bit more integration with Galnet and a bit more customisation stuck around them. Community Goals also didn't get particularly high participation - 3,477 would have been a moderately high figure for a trade CG held in 2019.

So it may be a much higher percentage of those participating in the CGs than those who actually voted.

We'll see what the actual participation in the first CG (starts tomorrow) is like - that'll probably be a good estimate of people who care much about which system it was in the first place.

Another point is that, in this case, the result of the vote was not particularly important. I've seen considerably more important real-world elections, where the body running them went to the trouble of posting a ballot paper and prepaid return envelope to every voter, get turnouts of around 10%. To get 1-2% turnout in "which of these anonymous and fairly similar systems should we build an outpost in" isn't actually that bad...

[1] Yes, this is also an approximation because you'd also have to make assumptions about how that average is made up and you get very different answers for "everyone plays exactly an hour" and "one person plays continuously 24 hours a day while 48 other people play half an hour each".
Someone has done their homework!

Thanks for the info, made for an interesting read. The point about the amount of participants for the old Community Goals was an interesting figure, too. Cheers.

There is a school of thought that says that; those with a forethought and interest in a game, such that they wish to involve themselves in discussions concerning its mechanics with other like minded players - those would be the players more likely to express a meaningful and well reasoned, if not a majority shared, opinion. In other words, of all the communities to consult, the forum is probably the best if you want a considered opinion.

Frontier decided to change the format of Community Goals into 'Galactic Initiatives'. One of the bright ideas was to allow players to vote on a new 'ferry' system. However, instead of implementing an in game voting mechanism, Frontier opted to use its forum to allow a small player base to make a decision that could impact thousands of players who do not frequent these forums.

The entire amount of votes cast was: 3,477. The system chosen was Synuefe EN-H d11-96. Total votes cast in favour of this system: 1,368. A second system might also have been chosen, perhaps the second most popular (based on the views of the limited number of users on this forum).

Basically, 1,368 people have made a decision for thousands of other players (total participants in this phase of the 'Galactic Initiative' was 3,477).

A quick Google about the amount of Steam players in 2019 brings up the following:

Elite Dangerous
Stats: Month ---- Average Players --- Peak Players
MonthAvg. PlayersPeak Players
April 20194,227.79,109
March 20193,595.87,114
February 20194,643.39,449
January 20196,735.612,864

In the last 30 days the peak was 9109 players (STEAM only).

This is just one platform.

Wikipedia states the following:

'The game had sold around 1.7 million units by the end of May 2016.[97] By the end of December 2016 over 2.1 million paid franchise units were sold of Elite Dangerous.[98] As of 15 January 2019, cumulative sales of Elite Dangerous exceeded 4.3 million franchise units, composed of 3 million base game units and 1.3 million Horizons expansion units.' - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elite_Dangerous

What are the figures for the number of players on the Xbox and Playstation? What about players (such as me) who use a PC and the stand-alone installer? How Frontier Elite: Dangerous many forum members are there in total?

There's a potential player base of well over 2 million players (over 1 million potentially playing Horizons). Does the level of regular players actually reach anywhere near this level?

Regardless, doesn't it seem astounding that this game, having sold over 2 million copies, has a system implemented (Galactic Initiatives), that take into account the view of only 3,477 players - the deciding vote by as few as 1,368?

Isn't it outrageous that regulars to this forum who raise concerns about certain aspects of the game that they usually don't like are able to influence Frontier into making changes to the game that impact literally thousands of other players (potentially millions) whose opinions have not been heard? I certainly think it is.

Otherwise, if it is the case that Elite Dangerous only has several thousand players regularly playing the game, despite selling millions of units, that's a very sad reflection on the state of affairs.

I could be wrong, but it appears that PC players are likely the ones most frequenting this forum, and thereby dictating how this game develops. I would have preferred Frontier to have implemented an in-game mechanism available to all players on all platforms.

At any rate, the 1,368 (3,477 total vote casters) Forum members have cast their votes and made a decision on behalf of the galactic community of Elite Dangerous players consisting (potentially) of over 2 million players (thousands on Steam, Xbox, Playstation, etc.).

I've also witnessed various changes to this game (usually affecting the risk level of the game, the danger, etc.), and how it's constantly been reduced - and it appears to be all thanks to the several hundreds, or few thousand, who frequent this Forum regularly to voice their opinions and complain. As for what the rest of the players who are never heard from think of the changes, who knows?

Perhaps if there aren't nearly as many players as 1 million frequently playing, Frontier needs to ask why. Could it be due to the fact that it gives heed to the voice of the same old tired Forum members that want the game reshaped in their own image, rather than it remaining true to its Elite roots? Thousands of players who are not Forum members, and millions of owners of this game, yet Frontier persists in pandering to a small crowd.

Is it congratulations to Frontier for the Galactic Initiatives...? Congratulations for a successful Forum vote Frontier...?
If only there were some comparison in today's world...

In any case, if the rest of my family wants fish fingers for tea and vote for that but I want sausages and don't vote for anything, does that give me the right to complain when the one meal produced is fish fingers?

Or do I just lump it given that the vote was well publicised, I had the chance to lobby the opposition to my point of view on sausages and cast my vote.

Yet I did none of those things, so I ended up with fish fingers.

Last edited:
There is a school of thought that says that; those with a forethought and interest in a game, such that they wish to involve themselves in discussions concerning its mechanics with other like minded players - those would be the players more likely to express a meaningful and well reasoned, if not a majority shared, opinion. In other words, of all the communities to consult, the forum is probably the best if you want a considered opinion.
Not from what I've read and seen (I have frequented these forums on occasion, despite not having an account...).

If only there were some comparison in today's world...

In any case, if the rest of my family wants fish fingers for tea and vote for that but I want sausages and don't vote for anything, does that give me the right to complain when the one meal produced is fish fingers?

Or do I just lump it given that the vote was well publicised, I had the chance to lobby the opposition to my point of view on sausages and cast my vote.

Yet I did none of those things, so I ended up with fish fingers.

😲🤯

I didn't say it was universally applicable, but if I were writing a game, I would definitely poll it's meta-audience, in this game, that's either the forum or the sub-reddit. Polling everyone in the game sounds like the classic 'failure of democracy' to me. Giving everyone the vote, when probably half the people shouldn't have one.

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator
Doesnt matter anyway.
All these thousands of players that dont come to the forums and didnt get the chance to participate in the vote, probably didnt and still dont have any idea that there is something going on that players can get involved in.
Whole thing is a mess.
While the poll took place on the forums, it was both advertised in the launcher and in a mailshot to players who receive the newsletter.

If players still did not have any idea that the poll was taking place then they either don't play the game or choose not to receive the newsletter - which is, really, down to them.

Top Bottom