Recent Galactic Initiative 'vote' - Frontier's Forum Dictating the Direction of the Game

I creep these forums way more than I would care to admit but I didn't vote for the initiative. How many players like me exist? They didn't have an option to vote "I have no opinion on this matter" so I didn't vote. Did you? I'm just curious because you're using the number of votes cast as the basis of your argument and I contend you have absolutely no way of knowing how many people could have influenced the vote but chose not to. I let designers design and if they go off the rails I'll simply play something else.

I creep these forums way more than I would care to admit but I didn't vote for the initiative. How many players like me exist? They didn't have an option to vote "I have no opinion on this matter" so I didn't vote. Did you? I'm just curious because you're using the number of votes cast as the basis of your argument and I contend you have absolutely no way of knowing how many people could have influenced the vote but chose not to. I let designers design and if they go off the rails I'll simply play something else.
It was hard to form an opinion when we weren’t given any context for what each of the systems could potentially provide...

Turns out that they were all one or two jumps from each other anyways......which now actually makes me re-wonder if a vote even mattered in the first place... 🤔

The new shuttle barely peaks my interest but it sounds like some CMDRs are giving it a go...

...I’d rather search for Raxxla.

There should totally be more ‘Raxxla’s’...

...imagine for a second that there were multiple half-confirmed mythical places in the galaxy to find with there own lore....I reckon that would create a stir....

Sorry, it’s late..I start gibbering.

Last edited:
I think your mistake is thinking the vote dictated anything to the Direction of the game.

And that isn't being cynical or a criticism

The direction was that a narrative with a Ferry and outposts set up in Guardian space, where two corporations will compete for control.
The votes outcome had no effect on that direction, only which system would be the ferry terminal.

Actually, I did cast a vote - my choice didn't win though.

I think your mistake is thinking the vote dictated anything to the Direction of the game.

And that isn't being cynical or a criticism

The direction was that a narrative with a Ferry and outposts set up in Guardian space, where two corporations will compete for control.
The votes outcome had no effect on that direction, only which system would be the ferry terminal.
Yes, I suppose my original post, and some of the points therein, can be separated. There's the aspect related to the voting system used on the forum only that impacts the game as a whole - and all the players, whether a forum member or not (and this could involved future initiatives, and not just this particular one). And there's also the discussion about whether or not people on this forum are unduly influencing the direction of the game in general (which I believe to be the case) - encouraging the game to made easier, less risky, etc.

I asked, in an earlier post, how any people (perhaps on average) used to participate in the old Community Goals). I'd genuinely like to know as it'd be interesting to see how many people actually got involved in this aspect of the game compared to the number of votes cast. If, for example, it turns out that around 10,000 people joined in Community Goals on average, then under those circumstances a vote involving over 4,000 people wouldn't be so bad...

The forum has dictated the direction of the game pretty much since day one.
Good point, and, for me, that's been one of the problems with the game (although, as I've said earlier, the major issue is 'gentle men' who have been selected as the ones to try and bring its (Frontier's) player base a 'cutthroat galaxy'. If you check out Frontier's website, they even appear to have dropped the term 'cutthroat', instead opting for the following:

TAKE CONTROL OF YOUR OWN STARSHIP IN A DANGEROUS GALAXY - https://www.elitedangerous.com/

As to the opinions, likes, dislikes, or views of the vast majority of game-holders on any aspect of this game would represent a silent majority for whom we can only presume.

How many of you would like to turn Elite into a feature voting machine, so everyone gets a fair vote?

It's nice to have a "forum" of opinion, discussion, opposition and dissension.

o7...

No meaningful choices were presented by the vote, so who it polled seems equally irrelevant.
Considering that this Forum is likely to continue to be the focus of such votes - regardless of whether or not you personally didn't like the choices on offer - it is quite relevant.

To comment on the (I think) main point; namely, that a Stellar Initiative was decided using an out-of-game mechanic (in this case, the forum which, despite peoples claims otherwise, is accessible to everybody who plays the game if they so wish), I must agree with the OP and say that it should have been some sort of in-game mechanic that determined the outcome.

Even though the choices and resulting outcome were almost meaningless, it sets a precedent for other Stellar Initiatives. Hopefully FDev will consider using some in-game mechanics in future SIs. Although I'm sure in that case we'll get similar complaints from pilots who are currently at Beagle Point and unable to fly to <XYZ> in time to vote and stating that they were excluded from it as there was no postal vote mechanic in place (which one could imagine, the forum emulates, so back to square 1).

FDev can't win.

Honestly, this is the ultimate in dumb arguments. If they had tried to keep immersion and difficulty at the forefront it would've had to be random "Joe Blow Faction" wanting to build said Megabus and only those that were members of said faction would know and vote on the location. How ed would the OP be at that tiny limited group of players deciding this even though that would definitely be far more realistic than the entire galaxy be involved in such a minor decision? Just sayin...

Honestly, this is the ultimate in dumb arguments. If they had tried to keep immersion and difficulty at the forefront it would've had to be random "Joe Blow Faction" wanting to build said Megabus and only those that were members of said faction would know and vote on the location. How ****ed would the OP be at that tiny limited group of players deciding this even though that would definitely be far more realistic than the entire galaxy be involved in such a minor decision? Just sayin...
I'm not really following your line of argument... :oops: :unsure: o_O

I'm lookin' hard for the forum posts that said give us Powerplay, CQC, ineffective security, engineers with random OP effects, no boost drag munitions....
Had you been paying attention to the various posts, then you would know what was meant by 'dictating the direction of the game'... :cautious:

Considering that this Forum is likely to continue to be the focus of such votes - regardless of whether or not you personally didn't like the choices on offer - it is quite relevant.
I'm highly skeptical of the idea that Frontier is ever going to put anything particularly meaningful to a vote.

The destination system of this current Interstellar Initiative is probably the most trivial aspect of the entire thing and I expect that trend to continue.

I'm highly skeptical of the idea that Frontier is ever going to put anything particularly meaningful to a vote.

The destination system of this current Interstellar Initiative is probably the most trivial aspect of the entire thing and I expect that trend to continue.
Thanks for the input. You may well be right.

Top Bottom