Recent Galactic Initiative 'vote' - Frontier's Forum Dictating the Direction of the Game

Frontier decided to change the format of Community Goals into 'Galactic Initiatives'. One of the bright ideas was to allow players to vote on a new 'ferry' system. However, instead of implementing an in game voting mechanism, Frontier opted to use its forum to allow a small player base to make a decision that could impact thousands of players who do not frequent these forums.

The entire amount of votes cast was: 3,477. The system chosen was Synuefe EN-H d11-96. Total votes cast in favour of this system: 1,368. A second system might also have been chosen, perhaps the second most popular (based on the views of the limited number of users on this forum).

Basically, 1,368 people have made a decision for thousands of other players (total participants in this phase of the 'Galactic Initiative' was 3,477).

A quick Google about the amount of Steam players in 2019 brings up the following:

Elite Dangerous
Stats: Month ---- Average Players --- Peak Players
MonthAvg. PlayersPeak Players
April 20194,227.79,109
March 20193,595.87,114
February 20194,643.39,449
January 20196,735.612,864

In the last 30 days the peak was 9109 players (STEAM only).

This is just one platform.

Wikipedia states the following:

'The game had sold around 1.7 million units by the end of May 2016.[97] By the end of December 2016 over 2.1 million paid franchise units were sold of Elite Dangerous.[98] As of 15 January 2019, cumulative sales of Elite Dangerous exceeded 4.3 million franchise units, composed of 3 million base game units and 1.3 million Horizons expansion units.' - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elite_Dangerous

What are the figures for the number of players on the Xbox and Playstation? What about players (such as me) who use a PC and the stand-alone installer? How Frontier Elite: Dangerous many forum members are there in total?

There's a potential player base of well over 2 million players (over 1 million potentially playing Horizons). Does the level of regular players actually reach anywhere near this level?

Regardless, doesn't it seem astounding that this game, having sold over 2 million copies, has a system implemented (Galactic Initiatives), that take into account the view of only 3,477 players - the deciding vote by as few as 1,368?

Isn't it outrageous that regulars to this forum who raise concerns about certain aspects of the game that they usually don't like are able to influence Frontier into making changes to the game that impact literally thousands of other players (potentially millions) whose opinions have not been heard? I certainly think it is.

Otherwise, if it is the case that Elite Dangerous only has several thousand players regularly playing the game, despite selling millions of units, that's a very sad reflection on the state of affairs.

I could be wrong, but it appears that PC players are likely the ones most frequenting this forum, and thereby dictating how this game develops. I would have preferred Frontier to have implemented an in-game mechanism available to all players on all platforms.

At any rate, the 1,368 (3,477 total vote casters) Forum members have cast their votes and made a decision on behalf of the galactic community of Elite Dangerous players consisting (potentially) of over 2 million players (thousands on Steam, Xbox, Playstation, etc.).

I've also witnessed various changes to this game (usually affecting the risk level of the game, the danger, etc.), and how it's constantly been reduced - and it appears to be all thanks to the several hundreds, or few thousand, who frequent this Forum regularly to voice their opinions and complain. As for what the rest of the players who are never heard from think of the changes, who knows?

Perhaps if there aren't nearly as many players as 1 million frequently playing, Frontier needs to ask why. Could it be due to the fact that it gives heed to the voice of the same old tired Forum members that want the game reshaped in their own image, rather than it remaining true to its Elite roots? Thousands of players who are not Forum members, and millions of owners of this game, yet Frontier persists in pandering to a small crowd.

Is it congratulations to Frontier for the Galactic Initiatives...? Congratulations for a successful Forum vote Frontier...?

I've seen that argument used for and against Brexit after the referendum. It's just a misuse of statistics.

Effectively, a fairly representative slice of the interested players voted, and the majority (even if it was by 1) voted for that location.

There is nothing to stop you flying on to the other destinations from there, so long as you carry a fuel scoop (or buy one at the Outpost).

Yay - your thread came back \o/

(If you are new the first few posts can go for moderation, so it might have been that - stops when you are here a little)
Yeah, not sure what happened there. I think you're right about the moderation aspect. Never realised that happened.

I've seen that argument used for and against Brexit after the referendum. It's just a misuse of statistics.

Effectively, a fairly representative slice of the interested players voted, and the majority (even if it was by 1) voted for that location.

There is nothing to stop you flying on to the other destinations from there, so long as you carry a fuel scoop (or buy one at the Outpost).
In what way am I misusing statistics? We could have a debate on democracy, but that would be pointless (I don't vote in any elections anyway).

You state:

'Effectively, a fairly representative slice of the interested players voted, and the majority (even if it was by 1) voted for that location. '​

I'm afraid I must disagree - 4,000 players is not 'fairly representative' of over 4.3 million potential players (the amount of units sold).

Thanks for that.

And I'd encourage others to consider what the cause for this? Is it possible that this forum is a primary cause - this small player base that uses this forum (and are probably also many of the same using other forums)?

In what way am I misusing statistics? We could have a debate on democracy, but that would be pointless (I don't vote in any elections anyway).

You state:

'Effectively, a fairly representative slice of the interested players voted, and the majority (even if it was by 1) voted for that location. '​

I'm afraid I must disagree - 4,000 players is not 'fairly representative' of over 4.3 million potential players (the amount of units sold).
I deliberately said "interested." I doubt that everyone could care less.

Yay - your thread came back \o/

(If you are new the first few posts can go for moderation, so it might have been that - stops when you are here a little)
As far as I could tell mine was the first attempt to reply to the OP. I said nothing I didn't say above so if that is "offensive", oh well.

What you should mean to say is "a fairly representative, self-selected slice of the interested players voted".

Are you about to claim that the self-selected sample of forum users is representative of the whole ED gaming population?

As far as I could tell mine was the first attempt to reply to the OP. I said nothing I didn't say above so if that is "offensive", oh well.
No, that was in response to a thread I posted in the forum support as my thread had not appeared immediately as I expected. It is likely due to the fact I'm relatively new to the forum and the thread was being given the OK. Nothing to do with your posts. (y)

No, that was in response to a thread I posted in the forum support as my thread had not appeared immediately as I expected. It is likely due to the fact I'm relatively new to the forum and the thread was being given the OK. Nothing to do with your posts. (y)
Ah, I understand now. Thanks. I didn't know about the extra scrutiny given to new forum users.

I have the sixth highest post count of any individual on this forum and FD still hasn't unlocked the two top utilities on the Cobras, or, even more disgustingly, added cheese to the galaxy.

Yes, I am the person who started the space cheese mem.

The only thing that's been able to keep me from playing this game, has been the incessant whining on almost every front. Including the sniveling OP that started this mess off.
I'm sorry you feel that way. Although, I'm not sure how my post has prevented you from playing the game. You could simply log out of the forum, and launch your game. That way, you'd not be affected by my 'snivelling'. However, unfortunately for you (as well as me), the 'snivelling' (to use your words) posts of others that use this forum may well affect the game that you play, and in a way that you do not like. As you have postes over 8,000 messages on this forum to date, it appears you do your fair share of 'snivelling' - seeking to affect the game in a manner pleasing to you...

I have the sixth highest post count of any individual on this forum and FD still hasn't unlocked the two top utilities on the Cobras, or, even more disgustingly, added cheese to the galaxy.

Yes, I am the person who started the space cheese mem.
It's not surprising this thread will come under attack by the frequent forum users, because they see it as a threat to their power over Frontier and the majority of other players who have no voice.

A highly inconsequential vote was well advertised as being held on their (newly revamped) forums.

Do you really think the objective was to get the most accurate vote possible from all people who have ever bought the game? Looked to me to be a way to offer some player input while (more importantly to them, perhaps) getting people involved on their forums. Seems to have worked on you.

So far as forum users in general guiding the direction of the game, what would you prefer, OP? No forums, or maybe just not allow people to talk about their game on the forums they made to talk about their game?

It's not surprising this thread will come under attack by the frequent forum users, because they see it as a threat to their power over Frontier and the majority of other players who have no voice.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAH!!!!!!!!!111!!!!!!!!!!ELEVEN111!

You believe that I'm under the illusion I have power here? Mate, I'm just an idiot who has an Internet connection and likes posting memes. I haven't even played the game for months because I too am consistently let down by the decisions FD makes.

First thing you should know about me: 90% of what I post is dank mems.

But you're new so I'll let you off.

Top Bottom