PvP is really making the open play miserable

I already made some comments about that
the PvP ships and its outfitting is no contest for even the corvette or cutter these ships are mostly outfitted for bounty hunting, CG or even hauling cargo.
We all know that its these ships that are targetted by PvP players and the fun is running out
The open play factor is for the majority a place to interact with other players and do missions together at this moment its almost impossible to make friends in open play only in the safety of a station.

I would suggest that there is a section added for PvP play
not just a section but a whole new setup specificly for PvP play
that means that these groups can do contest against each other and find other ships that are fitted for PvP play
to give them theire own CG specificly for PvP play lets say a kill order for clans or wings and hand in the kills
we can come up with all sort of things that PvP players can do but then in the enviroment that is theire own
come on guys what is the fun in taking down a ship that is not suiteble for doing these kind of combats there is no honer in that

PvP play and open play must be seperated from each other
killing other commanders for fun should be punnished by jail for at least 1 month and a fine of at least 50.000.000 credits
when they have not enough credits then its game over and start new fresh

we need to get rid of these terrorists and make the punnishment harder we can not allow these actions in our community they should also be hunted down by a special force that specificly hunt down PvP vessels/players lets make theire life also harder to survive in our community
at this moment the wanted and fine is just not cutting it to keep those guys from killing other commanders in open play

its time we speak up and make a point
i can only hope on comments like I AGREE if you do
One has the option of either joining or making a private group. Though my internet connection (ping rate 150) won't hold up to anymore than one player in addition to myself in which I play with him or one of my other friends, my son has a great ping rate of only 25, which can handle up to six of his friends including himself. can play. Mobius has a small hoop to go through to join, and they have thousands of like mined player whom dislike playing in open.

Thus one has option's, because one choose's not to utilize them, why should the present condition change?

already talked about
PvE and PvP are 2 differant things and have a differant setup
I am triple elite, I know the difference between PvE and PvP. Let me ask it in a different way then. Are you incapable of using a PvP ship against NPCs? I have both PvE and PvP setups. If I play in open and I want to bounty hunt I have a PvPvE ship that can handle both. You lack skill and therefor want the galaxy to bend to your will. Not gonna happen bud. Git Gud or don't but the galaxy won't change for you so if you don't like the heat then stay out of the frying pan.

I am triple elite, I know the difference between PvE and PvP. Let me ask it in a different way then. Are you incapable of using a PvP ship against NPCs? I have both PvE and PvP setups. If I play in open and I want to bounty hunt I have a PvPvE ship that can handle both. You lack skill and therefor want the galaxy to bend to your will. Not gonna happen bud. Git Gud or don't but the galaxy won't change for you so if you don't like the heat then stay out of the frying pan.
I too have high ranks across three toons, and there is definitely a difference between pve and pvp combat. pve combat is usually focused on sustained dps, with the ammo reserves to support multiple interactions over an extending period of time (I usually never do just one assassination mission in an outing - and I do extended CZ/BH), whereas pvp combat tends to focus on burst dps, module damage and snare mechanics. pve combat is usually accelerated with a blend of fixed and gimballed in some cases as well, where fixed is close to mandatory in exclusively pvp. So it is not really fair to say that a full pvp build is appropriate for pve combat.

Let's go a step further and consider pve combat that is targeted for other purposes. Mat gathering builds may feature healing beams and turrets. NPC leveling builds might focus on popping large numbers of small targets. Thargoid scout killing builds would be completely inappropriate for pvp. Thargoid interceptor builds would be completely inappropriate for pvp. So you pretty much don't know what you're talking about and should git gud at this game.

I too have high ranks across three toons, and there is definitely a difference between pve and pvp combat. pve combat is usually focused on sustained dps, with the ammo reserves to support multiple interactions over an extending period of time (I usually never do just one assassination mission in an outing - and I do extended CZ/BH), whereas pvp combat tends to focus on burst dps, module damage and snare mechanics. pve combat is usually accelerated with a blend of fixed and gimballed in some cases as well, where fixed is close to mandatory in exclusively pvp. So it is not really fair to say that a full pvp build is appropriate for pve combat.

Let's go a step further and consider pve combat that is targeted for other purposes. Mat gathering builds may feature healing beams and turrets. NPC leveling builds might focus on popping large numbers of small targets. Thargoid scout killing builds would be completely inappropriate for pvp. Thargoid interceptor builds would be completely inappropriate for pvp. So you pretty much don't know what you're talking about and should git gud at this game.
That's funny, because I use my PvP ship for killing Thargoid interceptors, nevermind scouts. I use my PvP ship in assassination missions, I use my PvP ship in all manner of PvE situations and guess what? Haven't bit a rebuy to an NPC yet. Yeah I've had to run from groups of players a few times because I was outnumbered but my knowledge of how to escape and evade kept me safe. The fact that you think PvP and PvE are mutually exclusive in open shows your lack of knowledge. Builds are Subjective one man's trash PvP ship is anothers favourite. if you can't adapt to open play then I suggest sticking to PG where you can build however you want but if you want to play open there is always the chance of PvP so build to survive and fyi I don't need to git Gud lol because I fight and kill Cmdrs every day my skills can only get better. Unlike you and the OP who only seem to be Elite in moaning.

i am triple novice and only have 26 hours of playtime so yeah it could be me

Your best bet is to join a player faction then. There are plenty of factions out there who are willing to help you progress, learn and fight by your side. If you are having trouble finding one I suggest looking up some of the Elite Dangerous Facebook pages there are always PFs looking to recruit, you just have to find one that suits your play-style.

Nice of you to admit that, finally...

Like CMDR Thumbless I'm also triple Elite, with around 10,500 hours logged in (according to Steam, it's only 51+ solid weeks in-game (~8500+)) and I almost NEVER play in OPEN to avoid the two steps forward / one step back problem of getting blown up with cargo / data / bounties or anything of value.

Occasionally I'll log OPEN while in a cheap ship but I'm not really a fan of adding more insurance claims above the current 26 either because I really don't trust other people not to make a nuisance of themselves and you can avoid that problem by creating your own Private Group and ONLY invite friends.

From experience the galaxy is so HUGE the chances of meeting anyone in OPEN are slim to nil anyway. At what point are you going to take the last 22 pages of repetitive advice saying the same thing, over and over again and actually try it instead of wasting your time insisting the game is changed to suit you?

Did you actually read post 17, where I offered some tips on OPEN CG survival?

------
Edit: Here's a suggestion, if you absolutely must try to mine new 'friends' out of the game: Log to SOLO / PG, dock at a CG station (if we ever get CGs back) and relog to OPEN then sit on the pad and (annoy people trying to dock) chat with people in the local channel until you find some you like for your PG.

If any turn out to be serial murder hobos, kick them from YOUR PG / block them.

Caveat: Doing what CMDR Thumbless suggested is probably quicker and easier:
Your best bet is to join a player faction then. There are plenty of factions out there who are willing to help you progress, learn and fight by your side. If you are having trouble finding one I suggest looking up some of the Elite Dangerous Facebook pages there are always PFs looking to recruit, you just have to find one that suits your play-style.

Last edited:
That's funny, because I use my PvP ship for killing Thargoid interceptors, nevermind scouts. I use my PvP ship in assassination missions, I use my PvP ship in all manner of PvE situations and guess what? Haven't bit a rebuy to an NPC yet. Yeah I've had to run from groups of players a few times because I was outnumbered but my knowledge of how to escape and evade kept me safe. The fact that you think PvP and PvE are mutually exclusive in open shows your lack of knowledge. Builds are Subjective one man's trash PvP ship is anothers favourite. if you can't adapt to open play then I suggest sticking to PG where you can build however you want but if you want to play open there is always the chance of PvP so build to survive and fyi I don't need to git Gud lol because I fight and kill Cmdrs every day my skills can only get better. Unlike you and the OP who only seem to be Elite in moaning.
You use your pvp weapons fighting thargoid interceptors? Whatever. How can anyone take you seriously after saying that?

Who said anything about having to do pve npc rebuys?

You did not respond to my points about scouts (for system protection) which is optimized with xeno weapons (good luck with your pvp weapons) , extended (multiple assassination missions - more than one on an outing - reload funness for your pvp ship ) farming manufactured mats in res zones or czs - you gots collector limpets on your pvp build?, leveling npc pilots - do you even use an slf with your pvp build?, farming res zones (with pvp weapons lolz - enjoy those reloads), or completing czs (without reloads).

I didn't even mention ltd piracy, pvp piracy, mining, passenger missions, slave running, trading rares, etc. You're pvp build is optimized for those tasks too?

Who said I hang out in PG? I'm in Open all of the time.

My point is about optimization for pve tasks. A strict pvp build is absolutely not optimized for pve tasks.

Whose moaning? I'm responding directly to the content of your post. It would be nice if you would do the same. This is forum pvp - not trash talk in Eravate chat you know.

I am triple elite, I know the difference between PvE and PvP. Let me ask it in a different way then. Are you incapable of using a PvP ship against NPCs? I have both PvE and PvP setups. If I play in open and I want to bounty hunt I have a PvPvE ship that can handle both.
I build ships for PvP. This means they annihilate most PvE opposition. Even my trade and exploration loadouts can solo wing assassination missions as often as not.

Thargoids are the only real exception as most weapons well suited for fighting other CMDRs are ill suited for fighting them.

extended (multiple assassination missions - more than one on an outing - reload funness for your pvp ship ) farming manufactured mats in res zones or czs - you gots collector limpets on your pvp build?
Most of my ships have a mix of weapons and my larger ships tend to be very laser heavy, which I find to be effective even in PvP encounters. Surely my PA/rail Krait or my rail/MC FDL have ammo limitations, but they are usually sufficient for multiple assassination missions or two or three CZ victories.

As for material gathering, I scoop them manually. Hasn't really been an issue, and the constant thruster practice is not wasted.

This is an ongoing problem.

To me, the point of PvP is to have a challenge, to take on a foe that's actually a real threat, which is not the case with the AI for most of these players. However, they reality is just what the OP said, it's the couriers and newbies and cargo ships that are being attacked. These are not foes that are any kind of challenge, so the notion that PvP players are looking for challenge is clearly false. I'm sure there are some, but in my experience, more often than not the PvP crowd are there to pull the wings off of flies, destroying players who have no way to defend themselves.

So, we play in Solo mode. This precludes us doing ANYTHING group oriented. I can't take on a Thargoid. I can't do group missions or community goals. I can't even sit in dock and chat with people, offering advice or telling of my exploits or anything.

Ideally, there would be a method to opt out of PvP while playing in open. MOST MMOs I've played have had this kind of thing. You enable your PvP flag, and you can be a target. Disable it, and you can go about your business in peace. I really don't know why this doesn't get implemented. The only ones who could possibly complain are those that want to be free to attack defenseless targets... and I don't think that's a valid form of gameplay.

To me, the point of PvP is to have a challenge, to take on a foe that's actually a real threat, which is not the case with the AI for most of these players. However, they reality is just what the OP said, it's the couriers and newbies and cargo ships that are being attacked. These are not foes that are any kind of challenge, so the notion that PvP players are looking for challenge is clearly false. I'm sure there are some, but in my experience, more often than not the PvP crowd are there to pull the wings off of flies, destroying players who have no way to defend themselves.
A big part of the game in general is to provide some form of challenge. When it comes to much of the PvE game in general, and combat in particular, many of us find the challenges provided us to be inadequate. Even if we deliberately handicap ourselves (which is itself missed opportunity to challenge onself to construct the optimal tools and tactics for a given goal), the challenge provided is not the sort of challenge we are looking for...the threats remain the same, artificial and unchanging, with no creativity required, and no surprises involved, once the optimal formulaic approach is divined.

Very few of the PvP oriented players I come across are challenge adverse, even if they play CMDRs who are risk adverse. It's just that the sort of challenge some may prefer at a given moment is not the narrow sort their opponents recognize. Of course, I do not play a CMDR who is ever entirely defenseless, no matter what ship he's in or how it's equipped.

In my experience, challenge is often mutual. Here is a good example that occurred a few days ago in Colonia:

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hckjcsQ1SDM

Two CMDRs with opposing goals. Mine wanted to get his cargo to it's destination as expediently as possible. The opposing CMDR wanted to deprive me of some of that cargo. Both players were looking to have their CMDRs go about these goals in the most entertaining way possible. The challenge for my opponent was obvious; he was interdicting a well defended, even if shieldless, Federal Corvette. My challenge was perhaps less obvious, but no less pressing from my or my CMDR's perspective; I had exactly the cargo I was supposed to have, and loss of even a single ton from a single successful hatch breaker, or single cargo hatch malfunction, would ruin or greatly delay completion of my CMDR's missions. Yet, immediately fleeing would only invite a fresh interdiction...I had to destroy or drive off this pirate to have reasonable confidence of my CMDR making it to his destination without further harassment.

Even in more simplistic encounters, I rarely encounter players who are upset that my CMDR put up a good fight or was able to escape, even if they weren't expecting such an outcome. Only a small minority of PvP oriented (or tolerant) players take issue at challenges they encounter...even the ganky types, and even those who aren't looking for trouble at the moment.

You enable your PvP flag, and you can be a target. Disable it, and you can go about your business in peace. I really don't know why this doesn't get implemented.
Because it's counter to Frontier's vision for the game.

It would make most all direct PvP wholly inorganic and organic PvP is the most contextually relevant and immersive kind.

If I had to advertise my willingness to engage in combat by any other means than being present, it would completely defeat the purpose and remove most of the entertainment. Even when my CMDR despirately wants to avoid a fight, part of the challenge for me as a player is the evasion. To wear a sign that says I'm ready for a fight, but only out of character...or one that says it's ok to attack me, unless there is a real person my CMDR could not possibly have any in-game concept of behind the controls, would be flatly absurd.

Last edited:
Some of the non-adrenaline junkies HATE surprises and prefer the predictability of the NPCs cos, can't be bothered / too hard basket. PG is about the best option if you want to wing / MC now and then, if any of your Steam buddies have enough patience for the notorious ED learning cliff and don't just quit.

While wasting my life in computer games I prefer to do so efficiently.

You use your pvp weapons fighting thargoid interceptors? Whatever. How can anyone take you seriously after saying that?

Who said anything about having to do pve npc rebuys?

You did not respond to my points about scouts (for system protection) which is optimized with xeno weapons (good luck with your pvp weapons) , extended (multiple assassination missions - more than one on an outing - reload funness for your pvp ship ) farming manufactured mats in res zones or czs - you gots collector limpets on your pvp build?, leveling npc pilots - do you even use an slf with your pvp build?, farming res zones (with pvp weapons lolz - enjoy those reloads), or completing czs (without reloads).

I didn't even mention ltd piracy, pvp piracy, mining, passenger missions, slave running, trading rares, etc. You're pvp build is optimized for those tasks too?

Who said I hang out in PG? I'm in Open all of the time.

My point is about optimization for pve tasks. A strict pvp build is absolutely not optimized for pve tasks.

Whose moaning? I'm responding directly to the content of your post. It would be nice if you would do the same. This is forum pvp - not trash talk in Eravate chat you know.
Remember my earlier post where I said I have a ship that is capable of PvPvE? Yeah that's a corvette... And last I checked Corvettes have more than 4 hardpoints allowing me to carry not only guardian and AX weapons but also standard ones too and if it isn't suited for the task at hand then it's as simple as changing your HPs around a little to accommodate, it's not hard at all, I have one of each ship most of which are outfitted for varying levels of PvP whilst undertaking PvE tasks. Maybe if you actually read my post instead of trying to pick holes in it you would understand that, Clearly the OP hasn't had enough experience in open play to even post this thread in the first place anyway. Yet again what YOU think is best for YOU is fine but trying to tell others their play-style does does not work when you haven't even seen it in action shows your lack of knowledge or understanding of how PvP and open actually works.

You are aware you can synthesise ammo for your weapons or are you too lazy to collect the mats for that too?

You don't have to mention anything to me, I am a PvP Pirate, not only do I undermine entire systems by killing system security and innocent NPC ships but I'm also pirating and killing players who refuse my demands at the same time. What are you in-game? because by the sounds of it you can't do/prepare for more than one task at a time.

And you are moaning, because 1) you're here defending a "triple novice" Cmdr who lets face it has 0 experience in the community yet wants to change one of the fundamental aspects of a game they have no experience in and 2) you can't accept the fact that people can outfit for both PvP and PvE at the same time so you keep trying look for holes in anything I say. Telling someone who's triple elite to Git Gud is probably where you went wrong. Can't get any better than triple elite so keep trying bud 😂

My PvP and PvE ships are actually very similar, except for weapon loadout.

My AX ships are just my PvP ships with AX weapons and a decontamination limpet. Lol

Engineering favours defence, so it's very easy to build a hard to kill ship, coupled with an easy escape mechanic (high wake, or outrun)

In all my years of playing ED, I've lost 1 ship to PvP. I've lost way more ships to Thargoids, or gravity. Lol

Poppycock.
Many people play in PGs.
What Bob said...
Although I'm so antisocial I probably wouldn't notice the difference in SOLO.
Still got way too many ships to fly all at once and ludicrous billions of credits.
------
To the same complaint:

Check youtube, plenty of people demonstrating exactly how to solo all the various bugs, in various ships and builds, in some cases purely to show off how clever they are. Many of the wing missions are doable on your own, as is hauling cargo and shooting barrels of fish in the HIGH (not Haz) Rez sites for CGs.

Tip: Use EDDB.io to find the target faction in a system with ringed planets ;)
(Hitting top 10% reward is easier if you check inara.cz for the current levels)

Sitting in dock and chatting is easily done and I noticed a few weeks ago if you un-tab system chat you can interact with others even when you're in a PG so that's not really worth complaining about either. If you're really desperate for company, have you considered installing discord and joining player groups?

Some youtubers even post their discord / player faction details below videos.

well reading this again its clear that the majority of u guys dont understand the thread
its all about not mixing PvE with PvP players
That would make it much more interesting for both

like those who are complaining about the bgs and working against them in PG and they cant do anything about it
so if there will ever be a seperate PvE and PvP it will make life a lot easyer 4all

Top Bottom