PSA: Loren's Reapers Declare Martial Law in Carcosa

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Where did you get that assumption that anarchies don't have rules?

You talk about chaos.
Anarchy = no rulers, by definition. No rulers = no rules, because there's no one to implement those rules.

You're implementing rules. You have, therefore, de facto declared yourself the law in the system. Not just that, but you're enforcing those rules through force.

That's not anarchy, that's brutal dictatorship. The rule of the strong.

EDIT: oh my me. You think anarchies have rules that are enforced by someone, rather than kept up by voluntary cooperation of the system's members. May I suggest some light reading of, say, Kant? The short version of his definition of anarchy is, if I remember correctly, law and freedom without force due to voluntary cooperation.

CMDR Peperone' is rolling in her grave, I bet.

Last edited:
Colonia has about 70 inhabited systems and the vast majority, if not all, are controlled by player backed factions. When you look around it is the single most static area of space in all the galaxy. Everyone, even SDC's faction who were utterly vilified for getting a faction out here, own their home systems. The rest? More or less dished out like pieces of cake at a birthday party.
Colonia is controlled by Jaques, Ratraii is controlled by Colonia Cooperative. They probably are player-backed in the looser senses of the word (certainly both get plenty of support from unaligned pilots!). But those are special cases - of the normal systems, the only one without obvious player backing is Einheriar Agri-Works Ltd controlling Einheriar.

One exception on the ownership of home systems: following the events of the second regional conflict, the CEI-5 faction GVC Flying Tigers do not control their home system of Chrysus, though I doubt anyone would stop them if they wanted it back.

The first and second regional conflicts, between them, give a pretty good demonstration of why the orbitals are divided up - like cake, as you put it - between groups which largely respect each others borders.

(As a technical aside, the BGS changes in 3.3 and 3.4 had the indirect effect of substantially stabilising the Colonia region by significantly reducing the amount of maintenance required in unopposed conditions. They also introduced a bug which makes it more difficult for certain types of change to occur in the systems around Colonia itself but which doesn't - yet! - significantly affect the bubble. So that's made the day to day events a lot more static even though the political situation didn't change)

The awkward thing about ED RP is that because it's so decentralised but shares a setting, pretty much EVERYONE taking a strong stance on anything is misunderstood somehow.
LRCV supports Anarchy, which is cool, and their definition of an anarchy is pretty cool too. However, other people (IC or OOC) think Anarchy is baby-murder kill steal death land where everyone is purest evil. Heck, I was one of these people! Some characters exist in a version of the universe which is nowhere near as grim, so they seem ridiculously well-adjusted compared to someone who sees the setting differently.
The game's lack of personal interactions and (let's face it) less-than-engaging storytelling means it is fairly ambiguous about it either way. Which leads to all the misunderstandings.
Naturally, everyone's gonna fight anyway because it's cool to win the video game. I'm just looking at the IC anarchy debate happening again and being reminded of my first thoughts on the subject.

Anarchy = no rulers, by definition. No rulers = no rules, because there's no one to implement those rules.

You're implementing rules. You have, therefore, de facto declared yourself the law in the system. Not just that, but you're enforcing those rules through force.

If you're gathering knowledge about political philosophy in a video game, maybe you're doing something wrong.

EDIT: oh my me. You think anarchies have rules that are enforced by someone, rather than kept up by voluntary cooperation of the system's members. May I suggest some light reading of, say, Kant? The short version of his definition of anarchy is, if I remember correctly, law and freedom without force due to voluntary cooperation.

People are attacking us and refuse to make themselves known. We're just supposed to roll over and take it? How the hell does that make sense to anyone?

And hey, we're down with Kant, but things get a little less cut and dry when you're actually out there.

Greetings, Commanders!

As you’ve heard over the past few months the system of Carcosa has been a bastion of liberty and economic opportunity. From the availability of Federal and Alliance ships to Void Opal booms to good old fashioned fun it’s been a great place to play in the Colonia Nebula.

Sadly, there are Commanders that would see all of this come to an end. In their anti-anarchist zeal these groups and individuals exercise every dishonorable and underhanded tactic they can muster: from lack of squadron identification to alternate accounts and identities. In short, in this time of conflict we have no clear way to determine who is flying through our system and why.

Therefore, Loren’s Reapers (Squadron Tags: LRCV or LORE) advise Colonia and the greater galactic community of the following.

In Carcosa...
  1. We reserve the right to interdict any ship.
  2. We will hail said ship to determine their business in Carcosa.
  3. Failure to respond, attempts to flee, or deployment of hardpoints will result in lethal response.
  4. Any ship equipped with a Kill Warrant Scanner will be shot on sight.
We regret these steps, but hope they lead to a Carcosa free and available to all.

Thank you for your attention.
I read it that way:

PSA: Loren's Reapers declare they now do as they like in Anarchy Carcosa.
Therefore
1. We gonna interdict anyone whom we please
2. We gonna gank anyone whom we please
3. We gonna gank anyone whom we please, especially those opposing us
4. We gonna gank anyone whom we please, especially those with a KWS

We totally don't regret these steps and don't give a poop about your opinion.
Oh, and keep away from Carcosa... it's dangerous out there.
:LOL:

I read it that way:

Therefore

I mean, pretty much spot on.

inb4 'every interdiction will lead to attackzz!!!11!!!'

I read it that way:

Therefore

That's cool. They shouldn't pretend to be anarchists while they're at it. It besmirches the ideology, much as I may disagree with it.

Oh, how quick the facade of ideology falls, eh?

People are attacking us and refuse to make themselves known. We're just supposed to roll over and take it? How the hell does that make sense to anyone?

And hey, we're down with Kant, but things get a little less cut and dry when you're actually out there.
No! Kill them all!

Just don't pretend to be anarchists while you're at it! Makes you look hypocritical, just out and out say you control the system and roll with it! Edit: alternatively, let them roll over you and be real anarchists by moving to another system. I'd go for option A, tbh.

We never were a real anarchy to be fair. We just supported an anarchy faction.
That makes sense. Then again, if there's a leader to the outfit, it can't be much of an anarchy anyway.

Last edited:
No! Kill them all!

Just don't pretend to be anarchists while you're at it! Makes you look hypocritical, just out and out say you control the system and roll with it! Edit: alternatively, let them roll over you and be real anarchists by moving to another system. I'd go for option A, tbh.
There are no systems in Colonia where that will happen. We're fighting for the right to exist in the nebula.

By the way, do you have Kant's Discord handle? I was wondering if he might be up for some passenger missions.

There are no systems in Colonia where that will happen. We're fighting for the right to exist in the nebula.

By the way, do you have Kant's Discord handle? I was wondering if he might be up for some passenger missions.
He used to be very active, but disappeared some 200 years ago. He was always blabbering something about space being unknowable, I think he went void-mad at some point. No point in contacting him, he'll just talk your ear off.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom