PLEASE MAKE POWERPLAY IN "OPEN ONLY"

As I've got to the point in E: D where I'm getting burnt out on the solo player game play so I'm starting to lookfor something for something more community based gameplay. However, when asked about PowerPlay on last night's livestream, Will said that they had nothing to say. So, my guess is that nothing will be done about PP in the next update (Q2, which is more beginner stuff I think) or even the update after that (maybe that's the one where we get fleet carriers?).

Is it worth joining in with PP when it's so obviously broken? or should I find a BGS Squadron and try that?
That was me asking that question :D I ask it every stream. Bear in mind that FD (unless leaked like the broad 5 year plan) don't really talk much about updates until they happen. They did say every 4 or so months a new small update would pop up so all is not lost. Remember Sandros proposal as it stands is pure formula tweaks and a few menu adjustments, far less than what we had for the first small update.

As I've got to the point in E: D where I'm getting burnt out on the solo player game play so I'm starting to lookfor something for something more community based gameplay. However, when asked about PowerPlay on last night's livestream, Will said that they had nothing to say. So, my guess is that nothing will be done about PP in the next update (Q2, which is more beginner stuff I think) or even the update after that (maybe that's the one where we get fleet carriers?).

Is it worth joining in with PP when it's so obviously broken? or should I find a BGS Squadron and try that?
The issue you have with asking for opinions, is you will rarely get a reply that is balanced, or even objective.

Then there is a mountain of stuff that you can read on the subject; but that will only offer you the 'how to do things' and then a lot of power figure information, that you may feel is, of no use to your own game play.

I would ask: Why are you considering playing power play? You will have your own personal reasons. This is something I am considering starting a thread. Asking just that question.

So why? To interact with other players, or become a part of something? Or just because you want to get the goodies some of the powers, have to offer?

That is your first point of reference. Sort that out and then you can ask away. There are volumes of information, within the minds of many here. Just remember that there are a few, that can't really be objective on the subject. I will say that, as a beginner, try not to take any notice, of those that only want to tell you all about; 'what is wrong with it' and 'how it should be improved', because. If you are doing it, to improve your own game play, you need to work with the here and now and enjoy it from there.

One small thing: Entering into power play, with any of the powers: Will make you game, more dangerous. You will have many more NPCs and players, as potential enemies and although F.D. has toned that down a bit, since it started; it still increases the risk factor, or the thrills; dependent on how you feel about these things.

The issue you have with asking for opinions, is you will rarely get a reply that is balanced, or even objective.

Then there is a mountain of stuff that you can read on the subject; but that will only offer you the 'how to do things' and then a lot of power figure information, that you may feel is, of no use to your own game play.

I would ask: Why are you considering playing power play? You will have your own personal reasons. This is something I am considering starting a thread. Asking just that question.

So why? To interact with other players, or become a part of something? Or just because you want to get the goodies some of the powers, have to offer?

That is your first point of reference. Sort that out and then you can ask away. There are volumes of information, within the minds of many here. Just remember that there are a few, that can't really be objective on the subject. I will say that, as a beginner, try not to take any notice, of those that only want to tell you all about; 'what is wrong with it' and 'how it should be improved', because. If you are doing it, to improve your own game play, you need to work with the here and now and enjoy it from there.

One small thing: Entering into power play, with any of the powers: Will make you game, more dangerous. You will have many more NPCs and players, as potential enemies and although F.D. has toned that down a bit, since it started; it still increases the risk faction, or the thrills; dependent on how you feel about these things.
The best way to enjoy Powerplay is via the Discord Groups- if you take a look on Power Reddits (or INARA) they often have invites so take your pick and get involved. On your own Powerplay is very confusing, as a group its great.

Here are the Reddits that have invites or information. Grom is abandoned, but is visible elsewhere on INARA.

Of course - however pad blocking in Open has been an issue since the beginning.

It could be argued, of course, that in an Open only scenario pad blocking of a station is simply another means of enforcing a blockade.
You know they could do some phasing here once you're in the station and completely nullify this problem. Also solves pad ramming. I bet you could even set parameters once you're past the mailslot.

Probably thought of long, long ago.

Try both for yourself, then you'll have an answer from your own experience, rather than having others tell you how to think and what to do in the game. Powerplay is not difficult at all, it just can be a bit ... laborious. (y) I don’t usually bother with Powerplay, but I am currently doing it just for the Prismatic shields. :)
Having others tell you what to think and what to do in the game is the entire point of PowerPlay; it's supposed to be a massive coordinated group strategy affair. If you're just pledging and schlepping fortification commodities to the nearest control system all on your lonesome without joining a discord or Reddit or something, then you're not really doing PowerPlay.

It could be argued, of course, that in an Open only scenario pad blocking of a station is simply another means of enforcing a blockade.
Not really as the people blocking the pads are not playing the game, they're probably in bed asleep or watching TV. Also, from a realism perspective in such a scenario the pad blockers would be forcibly removed by the controlling power.

CMDR Justinian Octavius

Sounds like you're getting into powerplay for the same reasons I did, a few years ago. I had a look at the ethos of the powers, had a scout around the reddits of the ones I liked (shouldve tried discord, but didnt know that at the time) and went for the one with a good flavour & organisation. Went on their discord and asked 'what can I do to help?'
Thousands of cmdrs have come and gone since, but the ones who stick around, and get something out of Powerplay are the ones who ask a similar question as I did. If youre just interested in what you can get out of Powerplay, you'll be disappointed. .. unless it's enforcer cannons & quiche, in which case you'll be utterly thrilled. Just sayin. ;) .. I may have just torp'd my whole point. Heyho, beggars cant be choosers when ur turmoiled this bad. Suckysucky 10 merits.. ?

Sounds like you're getting into powerplay for the same reasons I did, a few years ago. I had a look at the ethos of the powers, had a scout around the reddits of the ones I liked (shouldve tried discord, but didnt know that at the time) and went for the one with a good flavour & organisation. Went on their discord and asked 'what can I do to help?'
Thousands of cmdrs have come and gone since, but the ones who stick around, and get something out of Powerplay are the ones who ask a similar question as I did. If youre just interested in what you can get out of Powerplay, you'll be disappointed. .. unless it's enforcer cannons & quiche, in which case you'll be utterly thrilled. Just sayin. ;) .. I may have just torp'd my whole point. Heyho, beggars cant be choosers when ur turmoiled this bad. Suckysucky 10 merits.. ?
The Cycle 208 vintage quiche is a bit singed though?

Having others tell you what to think and what to do in the game is the entire point of PowerPlay; it's supposed to be a massive coordinated group strategy affair. If you're just pledging and schlepping fortification commodities to the nearest control system all on your lonesome without joining a discord or Reddit or something, then you're not really doing PowerPlay.
I disagree. Yes agreed, doing it the easy way, by over fortifying the closest system, is well out of order and of no use to the power its self, but working alone. As long as you keep an eye on the figures and only dropping merits, where they are required, is fair play, in my book. Having someone else, dictating what I can and can't do, is not gaming, it is work.

Read your own power's threads etc. and then do what is good for you. As long as it is good for the power. This doesn't require 'teamwork' or tipping your hat, to an overseer. Whatever I do, I do as a lone wolf type of player; in Open play or otherwise. If I feel the need for advice, I will ask for it; but generally; I can work things out for myself.

Again: Over fortifying is wrong. I would even classify it as cheating your own power, because said merits are of greater value, elsewhere; often, just a couple more jumps away. Every time I used to look at the figures, I could see the pure laziness, of those taking the closest options. There should be a mechanism in place, that stops acceptance, once the limit has been reached. IMHO.

Last edited:
Well then you'll have to just agree to disagree with yourself. Oh, you have. Im cherrypicking confusion here, but its a wonderfully bipolar way to start a reply anyway 😆
If you didn't get the point of what I was trying to say, there is no point in me trying to explain it again. So I'll keep it simple. I enjoy being my own boss and doing things my own way. At the same time: I am not taking the lazy option, that would be, to the detriment of power; I am supposed to be working for. If anyone has an issue with that, they can stick it where the sun don't shine.

I disagree. Yes agreed, doing it the easy way, by over fortifying the closest system, is well out of order and of no use to the power its self, but working alone. As long as you keep an eye on the figures and only dropping merits, where they are required, is fair play, in my book. Having someone else, dictating what I can and can't do, is not gaming, it is work.

Read your own power's threads etc. and then do what is good for you. As long as it is good for the power. This doesn't require 'team work' or tipping your hat, to an overseer. Whatever I do, I do as a lone wolf type of player; in Open play or other wise. If I feel the need for advice, I will ask for it; but generally; I can work things out for myself.

Again: Over fortifying is wrong. I would even class it as cheating your own power, because said merits, are of greater value, elsewhere; often, just a couple more jumps away. Every time I used to look at the fugures, I could see the pure lazyness, of those taking the closest options. There should be a mechanism in place, that stops acceptance, once the limit has been reached. IMHO.
That’s always been my approach. Figuring out where I needed to help out on a daily*, weekly, and monthly basis is half the fun of playing Powerplay. It’s also why I don’t use 3rd party sites while playing the game. Sure, it may not be efficient, but fun beats efficiency every time, as far as I’m concerned.

____
*assuming Powerplay missions ever become a thing, of course

TLDR Entire thread!

For me, I want open PvP but NOT stuck in Powerplay, everything but Powerplay...

Today I want to Pirate, in the afternoon maybe a bit of Police then tomorrow Get my Cargo tank out!

But not stuck with one power who demands I work for them for a zillion grind hours for a a wobbly missile pack.

You know... bit like a 'Freelancer'

If you didn't get the point of what I was trying to say, there is no point in me trying to explain it again. So I'll keep it simple. I enjoy being my own boss and doing things my own way. At the same time: I am not taking the lazy option, that would be, to the detriment of power; I am supposed to be working for. If anyone has an issue with that, they can stick it where the sun don't shine.
Im hardly going to complain about you misrepresenting my post, when I did the same thing to yours. But I did admit I was doing it, and that I was joking about it as well. Opaquely? Maybe. But its all there if you look back.
My crime? I didnt engage in the content of your post, and just focussed on a slightly bizarre first few words. Its no biggy! I wasnt trying to roast you for it, it just tickled me a bit.

Truth of the matter is, I agree with more of what you said in that post than I do in many of the posts I 'like', and dont disagree with any particular part. It describes what a large proportion of my power's playerbase does, and how we work as a group.

There are no orders in Utopia. We do things in as decentralised a way as is possible, & like I said in SagEye in the Oct'18 issue : "(In Utopia) Ideas fly and become generally adopted because people are inspired by them, not because of who proposes them. .. Outsiders tend to assume there must really be a controlling dictatorial force behind the scenes. I find this saddening, as it suggests people have forgotten the strengths of decentralised systems. They allow individual talents to shine where they are brightest; and when people act, it is because they are committed to an idea, not because they are shackled to orders like so many others."
Ive edited it for brevity, but not altered the meaning.

So to reply to your last statement, I wont be shoving anything in any dark places. I cant speak for the way other powers work, but for us at least, nobodies autonomy is threatened by joining our discord or speaking to us. We only give suggestions, which are open to reevaluation at any time by anyone.

The only people we come into conflict with, are those who are indisputably working to damage our power in a significant material way, meaning others who are forcing us to spend much more than before, to achieve the same results.
Speaking of which, ive got lots of hauling to do. ;)

Last edited:
Well that was a dumb video. How is it going to make me play if I can't pay for my console subscription. How will it eliminate Players docking on bases to just prevent people from landing. That is why Open mode Only will not will never work.

Top Bottom