PLEASE MAKE POWERPLAY IN "OPEN ONLY"

Nope.

Powerplay failed because of bad design. There is an extremely limited number of activities, while the base games has a terrific mix. The rules of the game encourages 5th column play to disrupt a Power over the actual undermining mechanism. And said mechanism includes a "once then done" immunity to undermining via fortification, as opposed to a contest. The design has limited appeal in the first place, combines it with rules almost guaranteed to ensure stagnation, and tops it off with making it easy for hostile players to disrupt a Power from within.

Compared to that, the "impact" of modes is negligible. Let's do the math, shall we? I'm kind of curious to see how that might shake out.

We have to make some assumptions, of course, because Frontier isn't providing any hard data on the subject:
  1. The PowerPlayer base reflects the overall Elite Dangerous player base.
  2. The overall player base reflects the Steam player base.
  3. The Steam player base represents about a quarter of the overall player base, with an even distribution between non-Steam PC players, XBox, and PS4 players.
From Steamspy, the average and median player plays about five hours over a two week period. That seems really low to me, but who am I to argue with actual data? Also from Steamspy, the sum of peak players over the last week is 39,746. From SteamCharts, the sum of concurrent players per hour over the last 24 hours at the time of this writing is 83,651, and the relationship between that sum and peak players that day is 15.5:1. This brings the total number of "hours played" on Steam, over the last seven days, to 617,964. Divide this by 2.5, and you get 247,000 "players" on Steam. Let's round that up to 250,000 just to make the math easier in the future. Double that, and you get 500,000 "players" on the PC.

Time for another assumption: the PowerPlayer-base represents about 10% of the overall player base. This means that there are 50,000 "players" each week involved in PowerPlay. Of those, roughly 20% are involved with shift work, and thus face no effective opposition when they play. This brings the total "players" that can potentially be your opposition down to 40,000. According to Inara, there are 709 control systems. Divide the "players" equally between these systems, and you get 56 "players" per system. Spread out those "players" evenly throughout the week (2.5 hours in a 168 hour period), and you get an effective player density, at any time, of...

0.8 "players" per system per hour. And this for everything: fortification, undermining, preparation, and expansion. If time spent on these activities are roughly equal, which is one last assumption, that means that there are 0.2 "players" fortifying (aka hauling) and 0.2 "players" undermining (aka "opposition") a system within any particular hour.

But wait, I'm not finished!

That fortifier isn't spending most of their time in that particular system! A good Commander can "speed trade" a T9 from station to station in about four minutes, only one of which would be spent in Supercruise at their destination. Add in an average of four jumps there, and four jumps back, at 45 seconds each, and you get about ten minutes per trip, or six trips per hour, during which there's only six minutes where they could potentially share an instance with an underminer... if said underminer spends all their time hanging around in Supercruise waiting for the fortifier to arrive, instead of, you know, undermining the system.
Talk about doing math in all the wrong places. HAHA good lord.

I know someone pointed out Xbox can have multiple accounts. Thank you for the info. Maybe my son and my self don't have to share an account.

KK, so this is my second Thursday since starting the PowerPlay thing. I got to Rating 3, which obviously means I had at least 750 merits, but because of the merits decay thing I immediately lost at least 240 merits in one foul swoop. I am now down to 509 merits. Wow, if PowerPlay is not vary popular among players I now see why. I understand some merit decay but why so high? As I understand it you lose 50% of the previous week’s earnings each week? On top of that it’s 50% of each of the previous weeks before that? It adds up to a lot of merit decay each week.

I can see that to get Prismatic shields it’s probably better to pledge, then do nothing in the way of earning merits for the first 3 weeks. Then in the fourth week go all out to earn 750 merits. Otherwise it’s just wasted effort to try to maintain 750 credits each week from week one. I think I’ll try that plan on my PS account, and keep this XB one going each week (target of 750 merits each week) for the 4 weeks and see which is the better method.

Last edited:
KK, so this is my second Thursday since starting the PowerPlay thing. I got to Rating 3, which obviously means I had at least 750 merits, but because of the merits decay thing I immediately lost at least 240 merits in one foul swoop. I am now down to 509 merits. Wow, if PowerPlay is not vary popualr among players I now see why. I understand some merit decay but why so high? As I understand it you lose 50% of the previous week’s earnings each week? On top of that it’s 25% of the week before that? It adds up to a lot of merit decay each week.

I can see that to get Prismatic shields it’s probably better to pledge, then do nothing in the way of earning credits for the first 3 weeks. Then in the fourth week go all out to earn 750 merits. Otherwise it’s just wasted effort to try to maintain 750 credits each week from week one. I think I’ll try that plan on my PS account, and keep this XB one going each week (target of 750 merits each week) for the 4 weeks and see which is the better method.
They want you to stay active for the rewards.

But the way rewards were tiered. You got the special object first. Everyone just ended up module hopping instead of understanding what powerplay was supposed to be.
No one knows until they do something I supposed, hindsite is 2020 sort of thing.

But I hope we still have something like that. Staying active is not that hard, just the rewards were backwards in my opinion. Not restricted enough to keep people interested in their choice. Hope to see powerplay specific ships in the future. If I were doing it, those ships would be disposable. Maybe a preset ship, or you get to keep the modules but the ship explodes, you have to buy another one and put the modules back on it. Pretty good credit sink and gives a little oomph for staying with each power while they have something unique.

Problem was the real reward people wanted was up front. Besides that merry go round and no one to fight when it mattered. People just saw it as a grind. It could be pretty awesome though. Its not far off from being awesome.

I think thats what gets some of us vets the most.

Last edited:
KK, so this is my second Thursday since starting the PowerPlay thing. I got to Rating 3, which obviously means I had at least 750 merits, but because of the merits decay thing I immediately lost at least 240 merits in one foul swoop. I am now down to 509 merits. Wow, if PowerPlay is not vary popular among players I now see why. I understand some merit decay but why so high? As I understand it you lose 50% of the previous week’s earnings each week? On top of that it’s 25% of the week before that? It adds up to a lot of merit decay each week.

I can see that to get Prismatic shields it’s probably better to pledge, then do nothing in the way of earning merits for the first 3 weeks. Then in the fourth week go all out to earn 750 merits. Otherwise it’s just wasted effort to try to maintain 750 credits each week from week one. I think I’ll try that plan on my PS account, and keep this XB one going each week (target of 750 merits each week) for the 4 weeks and see which is the better method.
Merit decay is a problem for some.

To my mind, instead of decay, there might be some option to trade merits for bonuses rather than getting the bonuses automatically and suffering the decay... although i can easily imagine that could lead to some exploits. I'm sure better minds than mine could think of something though.

Merit decay is a problem for some.

To my mind, instead of decay, there might be some option to trade merits for bonuses rather than getting the bonuses automatically and suffering the decay... although i can easily imagine that could lead to some exploits. I'm sure better minds than mine could think of something though.
I would like to see a second type of currency specifically made for powerplay. That would remove the exploity features. Merits could be it.

I would agree merit decay is an issue and dearly love for it to be changed, but these days maintaining is not as onerous as it used to be. My biggest complaint is the clickclickclickclcickciclcickiclcickcickclckcicklclk of having to load things (which might have changed recently- that and having to buy your own cargo or wait 30 minutes for the free stuff).

For example:

750 merits (rank 3, the tier for the modules)

7.5 million credits of fort materials or 1 tubby Cutter / T-9 load (always always help that Power if shopping via discord) - to buy outright is one or two high paying Allied cargo mission(s)

7.5 million credits of prep materials (always always help that Power if shopping via discord and ask (if anywhere) needs prepping) - to buy outright is one or two high paying Allied cargo mission(s)

25 UM targets (with anywhere between 3 - 6 at each Nav instance or singularly in SC @ 30 merits each) cost: free (but you get a Power bounty)

75 combat expansion kills (@ 10 merits each) which is a bit of a grind on your own, but simplicity in a wing)- free

The other aspect is that at 10,000 merits (rank 5) the credit reward for the week (50 million) buys the amount of merits needed to keep rank 5 (i.e. you lose roughly 5K merits but can buy 5K). Thats 7 tubby T-9s worth of trips. Some powers R5 bonuses are lovely too and well worth the outlay.

In my fantasy I'd love to be able to 'buy' Power specific perks from my merit hoard (maybe the favours Sandro hinted at?) that could be experimentals, rank perks etc.

I would agree merit decay is an issue and dearly love for it to be changed, but these days maintaining is not as onerous as it used to be. My biggest complaint is the clickclickclickclcickciclcickiclcickcickclckcicklclk of having to load things (which might have changed recently- that and having to buy your own cargo or wait 30 minutes for the free stuff).

For example:

750 merits (rank 3, the tier for the modules)

7.5 million credits of fort materials or 1 tubby Cutter / T-9 load (always always help that Power if shopping via discord) - to buy outright is one or two high paying Allied cargo mission(s)

7.5 million credits of prep materials (always always help that Power if shopping via discord and ask (if anywhere) needs prepping) - to buy outright is one or two high paying Allied cargo mission(s)

25 UM targets (with anywhere between 3 - 6 at each Nav instance or singularly in SC @ 30 merits each) cost: free (but you get a Power bounty)

75 combat expansion kills (@ 10 merits each) which is a bit of a grind on your own, but simplicity in a wing)- free

The other aspect is that at 10,000 merits (rank 5) the credit reward for the week (50 million) buys the amount of merits needed to keep rank 5 (i.e. you lose roughly 5K merits but can buy 5K). Thats 7 tubby T-9s worth of trips. Some powers R5 bonuses are lovely too and well worth the outlay.

In my fantasy I'd love to be able to 'buy' Power specific perks from my merit hoard (maybe the favours Sandro hinted at?) that could be experimentals, rank perks etc.
Hah, yes, the interface could do with a bit of a rework to allow mass purchase.

I remember when an enemy power was expanding into our neighboring system. They were using trade Cutters non stop.

So I took a combat Cutter and a few friends took their ships and we winged up to try to blockade the system.

We destroyed one of the Cutters and they came back in a wing. Fun ensued and it really felt like a war for a time.

But people got tired of it. They went solo in their trade Cutters to continue expanding and that was when I knew. PowerPlay needs to be Open Only to work.

Problem is, that group we were fignting can just block us and continue on in Open without ever seeing us again.

This is where Solo mode comes in handy. It a group of idiots block a landing pad and you get tired of waiting. You can go into solo mode.
True, although in Open Only merits cease to be if you swap, hence the need to go straight into the hanger and de-instance to free the pad.

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator
This is where Solo mode comes in handy.
Of course - however pad blocking in Open has been an issue since the beginning.

It could be argued, of course, that in an Open only scenario pad blocking of a station is simply another means of enforcing a blockade.

Last edited:
Of course - however pad blocking in Open has been an issue since the beginning.
Bad thing is even if it requires movement to prevent a station from destroying you or logging you off. It is so easy to make programs act like a player. Like looking at Menus, Items for sale or going into missions bulletin board. It one area that needs to be addressed or Open only Power play should never be added.

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator
Bad thing is even if it requires movement to prevent a station from destroying you or logging you off. It is so easy to make programs act like a player. Like looking at Menus, Items for sale or going into missions bulletin board.
It would seem that it is - and moving between HUD menus would be a trivial thing to accomplish - a keyboard macro could achieve that without much effort - and third party applications like Voice Attack offer sound initiated automation options that would not require a keyboard macro.

Last edited:
As I've got to the point in E: D where I'm getting burnt out on the solo player game play so I'm starting to lookfor something for something more community based gameplay. However, when asked about PowerPlay on last night's livestream, Will said that they had nothing to say. So, my guess is that nothing will be done about PP in the next update (Q2, which is more beginner stuff I think) or even the update after that (maybe that's the one where we get fleet carriers?).

Is it worth joining in with PP when it's so obviously broken? or should I find a BGS Squadron and try that?

Is it worth joining in with PP when it's so obviously broken? or should I find a BGS Squadron and try that?
Try both for yourself, then you'll have an answer from your own experience, rather than having others tell you how to think and what to do in the game. Powerplay is not difficult at all, it just can be a bit ... laborious. (y) I don’t usually bother with Powerplay, but I am currently doing it just for the Prismatic shields. :)

Try both for yourself, then you'll have an answer from your own experience, rather than having others tell you how to think and what to do in the game. Powerplay is not difficult at all, it just can be a bit ... laborious. (y) I don’t usually bother with Powerplay, but I am currently doing it just for the Prismatic shields. :)
Indeed, always better to form your own opinions than relying on other people for them.

Top Bottom