Newcomer / Intro Newbie questions: Mining and exploration

Hello commanders.

I am new in the game, have been playing for a week more or less and I think I love it. I am doing my best with the learning curve, but I have two questions I can't yet figure out. Maybe someone can help me? :)

1- MINING: So I am learning the mining basics and I decided that I could try to help my faction in the community goal and bring some palladium. Problem is, I have no clue how to find it. I have learned all the "look for metallic pristine rings or asteroids". But when I get there, I can't find palladium. So my question is, is there a way to look (and mine, not buy) some specific mineral?

2- EXPLORATION: I have joined the alliance, and I have been doing quests near their main system, Gateway. I was surprised when I found inexplored systems around there, I thought that here in the "core" systems, everything would be already explored and well documented. Is there some concept I am missing?

Thank you so much ^^

Apart from Hotspots findable using the Detailed Surface Scanner there is no way to localise anything in a ring which is why mining for anything specific is a pain.

Systems that aren't in your ships database will show up as unexplored when you first visit them and Cartography will pay you for the information you gather but from their point of view it is conformation not a first discovery.

1- MINING: ....... palladium. .........

2- EXPLORATION: I have joined the alliance, and I have been doing quests near their main system, Gateway. I was surprised when I found inexplored systems around there, I thought that here in the "core" systems, everything would be already explored and well documented. Is there some concept I am missing?
1. As @aRJay said there is only the "hotspots" feature (shown when you use a DSS to map the ring) to increase the possibility of finding a particular resource. Otherwise it is just a case of pottering about, firing prospector limpetss and looking for asteroids with a decent load of what you are looking for. Pristine metallic for Palladium as you say.

2. If you arrive in a system and your sensor display is empty - you know it is truly "undiscovered".

In and around the bubble you usually arrive in a system to see the sensor display full of icons representing the stars and planets even though they are all "unexplored" to you until you either FSS scan them, fly within the 30Ls passive "discovery" range or drop in to the Navigation Beacon and scan it to download the system data. (You can sell the data you get from the first two but not from Nav beacon.)

Many systems in the bubble of course are fully revealed when you arrive in them - they just show as "unexplored" until you arrive in the system - these systems were previously available to view from the galaxy map - why they changed it to do this strange behaviour I have no idea.

(BTW - you can map any body at all even in those fully known systems and sell the data - stupid isn't it?)

Thank you all!

I was quite confused about the exploration thing. I thought the systems might be not discovered just for me, but then people were buying that information and I was like "why are you paying for something that should be in galnet's google or something?". But well, it's money so I'm fine about it.

Thanks for clarifying the mining thing. I have yet to try the DSS. About that, I know I can use it in planet rings but, can it be used as well in asteroid clusters? Or is it only for rings?

Take care :)

Top Bottom