Looking for new HOTAS

I'm looking for a new HOTAS, & am thinking either the Thrustmaster T16000, or the X52 Pro. I know that the X52 Pro had serious quality issues when Madcatz owned Saitek - have these been resolved since Logitech took it over?

What are peoples experiences with these two items, & any recommendations between the two?

Thanks.

Since nobody else has replied so far, here is my twopenn'orth:

I use CHProducts Fighterstick and Throttle - they are not cheap but built from glass-reinforced plastic so are really robust. CH Products make industry controllers and the components they use are pretty reliable.

If you are in the USA they are a good price, if in the UK you pay a bit more. (Amazon ship from US and charge duty etc in the price - UK stockists are even more expensive if you can find them.)

N.B The stick has no twist, like the warthog and basically has the same buttons as that does.

Last edited:
Thanks for that - but as I'm also going to be using it for my Flight Sims then I need the rudder axis.

Great name btw - that was a classic programme!!! :D(y):D

Thanks for that - but as I'm also going to be using it for my Flight Sims then I need the rudder axis.

Great name btw - that was a classic programme!!! :D(y):D
Rudder pedals. (I use CH Pro ones of those too)

I use them in flight sims but I don't in E D, they "feel" wrong there and it mucks up my muscle-memory / flight co-ordination in sims. Fight Sims are so much more enjoyable with rudder pedals, I wouldn't like to "fly" without them.

For E D I use the stick's pinky button as a press-to-hold "Yaw to Roll" so if I want yaw, squeezing that whilst leaning the stick to the side - surprisingly natural after a while. The same solution can be used with the Warthog stick if you feel drawn to that kit otherwise.

Thanks re Para - I still remember Duncan MacRae version though none of those survive, was worried about Rab C Nesbitt having a go but Fisher actually did quite well.

Last edited:
I have had an X52 for a couple of years and have had no trouble with it.
Before that I had a T16000 Joystick (not the HOTAS), the trigger gave me a blister, the hat was not very accessible and there weren't really enough easily useable buttons on it. On a positive note it was great for a left hander like me but I guess thats out the window as a HOTAS

I have an X52 Pro - at a little over a year of use the second trigger (the trigger has 2 steps) microswitch went faulty ON - no warranty so chopped the wire to it after opening the stick. Cable inside are tat... Now have the second fire button (and a few led's) only working intermittently.
I may just have had a Friday afternoon build, but wouldn't recommend one to anyone else, I think QC is possibly still a bit iffy!

Had my X52 Pro for a year now, and no build quality problems.
Sometimes the throttle stops working in Elite & I have to exit to menu and resume to get it working again - but only rarely and not sure where the fault lies...
I got mine from Amazon for $99 (used camelcamelcamel and waited for a bargain) and it was the best $100 I've spent for a long time!

The config software is complete crap - but just about usable to set things up - although not really necessary in Elite.

That was a bargain @SirMaxxx !

Despite my misgivings the stick is still lovely to use, just for a mid-range hotas the interior build quality on mine is a bit of a let down. Had it failed a couple of months earlier it would have been a warranty return, such is life :)

I can only agree with Para Handy, the CH Products stuff is built to last. I use the Fighterstick Pro and Throttle after previously owning the X52 pro and throttle. The Saitek stuff broke just after the warranty ran out (How does it know?) Haven't bothered with the pedals, as I use my thumb on one of the toggle switches of the stick and it works great.

I can only agree with Para Handy, the CH Products stuff is built to last. I use the Fighterstick Pro and Throttle after previously owning the X52 pro and throttle. The Saitek stuff broke just after the warranty ran out (How does it know?) Haven't bothered with the pedals, as I use my thumb on one of the toggle switches of the stick and it works great.
Argh - now I"m worried - my warranty runs out in a week!