Is this all we can discover?

As a concept/idea the new exploration is fantastic. However....after doing 2 months of exploration before DW2 then going on DW2 and exploring one end of the galaxy to the other, a lot of glaring issues have arisen.
1. it is still too difficult to find many things on your own. That is, not going to the codex entries, but actually finding stuff on my own. In all those months I only found 3 noteable stellar phenomenon, all of which was the large metallic crystals in the dark with no clouds. Planetary features were all bark mounds or some geographic ones. When I finally found just one Anemone it said I was first to discover it, only to find out it was a bug and had already been found before, but still didn't register in the codex. I did find one Tuber on my own, which was also bugged and said it was a Roseum variety, but in fact it was the green one. So also bugged and have no way of knowing if I was the first or not (probably wasn't). That was the entirety of my discoveries (apart from planets/stars) in 6 months of daily exploration. That is WAY too low a reward for that much time and effort put into a game. Can I emphasize WAY TOO LOW!
2. The codex entries are a bit too spoilerish. Once someone has discovered something it is no longer a WOW factor any more. It just becomes a tourist spot for others. That is the main issue with the current exploration mechanic of the game. Most explorers are in fact really just tourists visiting these already discovered entries. Not to take away anything form the amazing work that the DW2 organizers made, the entire expedition was really just a tour group visiting some cool tourist spots. That is not the fault of the expedition organisers. It is the fault of the exploration mechanics.
3. The codex should really just keep your own exploration results with maybe faded out (silhouette) of what is still out there. I really don't care what others have found. That is their play through not mine. What should have been put into exploration, is a system that starts to give you a warning that you are near a system that may have something interesting or noteable. It then goes hotter or colder as you get closer or further away. It would add a certain level of immersion because your scanners are too far away to pinpoint but it roughly picks up that something is near. As you get closer it begins to get more accurate in pinpointing the direction the signal is coming from. This would be on a galactic level but limited to a certain Ly radius from your ship (20-40Ly maybe?). Distance/accuracy varies depending on your engineering.
4. How do we know if everything has been found? Because if this is all there is then it is a pitiful update. I have a feeling there is way more out there, but once again (like the old times) we have woefully inadequate tools to find them and no way to measure our success rate and how much has been discovered. maybe that is gamey, but this is supposed to be a game. I think Fdev are fearful of the ultra hardcore group that want everything super hard and super challenging that they neglect the fundamental of any game. Reward the gamer often, provide enough of a challenge without it being too hard or too easy. Fdev often go the too hard route first, often putting off the majority of us "filthy casuals"
I didn't want this to become a rant, but exploration was the number 1 reason I bought Elite back in early 2015. So many years later and it is still nowhere near the potential it could have. I know there will be people who will be extremely upset at what I have written here, but it is something that has to be said for things to improve.

You need to go and find Vger... merge with it and develope a capacity to leap beyond logic, then seek out other dimensions, higher levels of beings.
I attempted a few visits during the "dark age" (when we could not find these signal sources in a reasonable way), I am quite happy about the changes in this regard.
Would be fun if we could download the songs of the golden LP to add to our playback archive.

Not all is discovered I can guarantee that. Now it is more like the single entities that only exist in one specific place that may not have been discovered, making it see like everything has been already. All the common biologicals/geolocial and Notable Stellar Phenomena pretty much have I think, but there are a bunch of more single things out there I'm sure.

Plus more will be added as well I figure...

I’m disappointed that nothing unique has been found by DW2, or that FD haven’t give us any clues for new POI via ‘rumoured’.

I thought they’d release more clues as time went out. So far, nothing.

That seems a bit severe. You are Probing I take it? Life forms tend to cluster around nebula but I have picked them up in deep space. Not sure about the rules for NSP but they pop up semi regular for me and the last time I went out was only about 10k from the bubble.
Stellar phenomenae appear on the FSS, don't they?

I've scanned nearly 90% of all bodies in every system I came across. The only biological I've found was at the WPs and at the beginning of the journey...nothing in the deep space for me, so far :cautious:

I’m disappointed that nothing unique has been found by DW2, or that FD haven’t give us any clues for new POI via ‘rumoured’.

I thought they’d release more clues as time went out. So far, nothing.
Would be great if 'Raxxla' would appear under 'rumored' in the Codex. Did they (FD) use 'rumored' in the past?

Last edited:
I'm completely confident there's as-yet undiscovered things, thanks to FD's historic propensity to put things in the game without any way to actually locate them beyond sheer dumb luck.

I'm completely confident there's as-yet undiscovered things, thanks to FD's historic propensity to put things in the game without any way to actually locate them beyond sheer dumb luck.
Depends how spread out things are.
Raxxla is apparently ONE item. so the odds of finding it are 400bn to 1. I rather play the lottery.

Either way, the galaxy this big is great, but terrible if you want to make it about discovering things. There is simply too much. One might just jump through or even skip honking the system if they want to get from A to B. I know I don't do the FSS if it has 40 bodies when I'm just passing through.

Stellar phenomenae appear on the FSS, don't they?

I've scanned nearly 90% of all bodies in every system I came across. The only biological I've found was at the WPs and at the beginning of the journey...nothing in the deep space for me, so far :cautious:
Keep at it, I'm positive you will hit something good soon.

That being said you can improve your chances of finding ELW at least by focusing on specific star types, there is a thread I saw with analysis of ELW by star type taken from ED star map. I'll find it and link it if I can. From memory, one of the higher scoring stars was F type. Another well used strategy is to quarter an area when you find something like a WW or AW. Often there will be a cluster of productive stars together and just passing through won't give you the best result.

Understandably you are focusing on traveling to a waypoint but maybe on the return you could try these ideas out.

I feel like there should be WAY more kind of geological/biological structures, lifeforms out there, explorers should have more things to discover for the first time, not just 4-5 color variants of the existing 20-25 structures.
I presume FD also feel the same way, and over time, they will add more stuff to discover.

Here is the thread I was thinking of. It gives some good tips on what to look for regarding Star class and luminosity as well as the benefits of looking for high density systems.

ELW

Good hunting!
Thanks! But I really did mean I'd trade an Earth-like planet for a Notable Stellar Phenomena, as those are even rarer. I've found quite some ELWs but IIRC only two NSPs.

Probably worth bearing in mind that we cannot yet land on atmospheric worlds - so we can only find life that can survive in the vacuum of space or on airless (or near-airless) planets. And it's very implausible that life could evolve or survive there.

Which puts FDev in an awkward position. They want to give us goodies to find, but they haven't got around to giving us access to the places life is likely to exist. So personally I'm hoping they don't put in any more weird space life, and hold off until we have atmospheric landings and access to more plausible habitats for life.
Again, Elite isn't NMS
If Frontier go down the NMS route of proc-gen lifeforms (which I hope they do, except with a bit more plausibility), it would be good if the genes could be named and appear in the codex. Obviously there is the risk that some players will name them "xx_NoobKiller_xx" or something equally dumb, so one way would be to proc gen the name based on the base assets used. For example, a 4 legged creature with cat-like features on a scaly body found on an ELW in the Oephairb sector could be called Oephairb Felus Agamidae.
(And yes, I am sure the above example is probably implausible but I was using it for illustrative purposes ;))

Well, Raxxla hasn’t been found yet...
People are still finding new generation ships and their stories,
There could be more traits of the life forms to discover and there will be a surface research base for biological findings (god knows when 🤦‍♂️)

If Frontier go down the NMS route of proc-gen lifeforms (which I hope they do, except with a bit more plausibility), it would be good if the genes could be named and appear in the codex. Obviously there is the risk that some players will name them "xx_NoobKiller_xx" or something equally dumb, so one way would be to proc gen the name based on the base assets used. For example, a 4 legged creature with cat-like features on a scaly body found on an ELW in the Oephairb sector could be called Oephairb Felus Agamidae.
(And yes, I am sure the above example is probably implausible but I was using it for illustrative purposes ;))
True - in NMS you can walk on planets, have atmospheric landings and not just grind away more engineering mats or push a little from the middle to the left or to the right by doing the same thing over and over again for 5 hours!
I like NMS. However, the entire game is a grind. Just to launch your ship is a grind. To walk around for a while is a grind. Also, NMS is a different genre of game. Its a crafting survial game. Elite isn't

Top Bottom