Hunger, thirst, sleep needs for CMDRs

After playing Elite Dangerous for several months, I realized that the game is missing a few features that really break my immersion. My CMDR needs to have physical needs, he is not some invincible android who plugs in to the nearest ship's electrical socket. We really need a realistic system for CMDR hunger, thirst, and sleep. I envision "Restaurants" being added to every station, where the CMDR may stop to eat and drink periodically, and CMDRs should have to stock up on food/water rations. Hunger and thirst should induce delirium, hallucinations, blurred vision, and CMDRs death/random passing out. CMDRs should also be required to spend 25% of their time in ED sleeping.

I'm not tremendously serious, but I bet this is gonna be an awesome conversation.

It should have been a meter in at the beginning to effectively give exploring a timer.

The meter could be filled with a 4th bar (in addition to fuel, hill etc) at stations and explorer ships could have had a bigger capacity or cargo space could have been used (though a tonne of food & drink for one person given refrigeration etc would last a long time).

But it wasn't, so there's no point adding it now.

We really need a realistic system for CMDR hunger, thirst, and sleep.

I'm not tremendously serious, but I bet this is gonna be an awesome conversation.
Well, if you hadn't put that spoiler in i'd have taken you seriously.

Because my response would have been "we don't, maybe you do"

Its pretty par for the course around here when people mean to say they want something they try and say that everyone wants it.

When I eat, my CMDR eats. When I sleep, my CMDR sleeps. When I visit the loo, so does my CMDR (which is weird when I'm playing my alt). FWIW, I pack actual food and water rations when I go on deep-space exploration - no joke!
Basically. If I leave the screen to go to dinner, whether or not I've turned the game off, so has my CMDR. They might be doing other things, too, but our free time coincides.

My Cmdr is wearing an Arrakis-certified stilsuit, with patented “Sheet Like Shai-hulud” technology.

He’s also been in the cockpit of the SRV for the last 23 days doing the First Great Planetary Expedition, so now massively smells like the inside of a packet of dry-roasted peanuts, which will probably take care of any protein requirements.

My Cmdr is wearing an Arrakis-certified stilsuit, with patented “Sheet Like Shai-hulud” technology.

He’s also been in the cockpit of the SRV for the last 23 days doing the First Great Planetary Expedition, so now massively smells like the inside of a packet of dry-roasted peanuts, which will probably take care of any protein requirements.
Haha, props for the Dune reference!

I would play this as a single-player offline version. Space-STALKER would be fun. Critical attention paid to every space KrispKreature bar in the cockpit emergency rations and exactly how much H2O and O2 you're carting in the ship's main supply. Scrounging for water in ice rings because you finally got a processor. Better quality rest if you have something comfier than staying magnetized to the cockpit seat. That would be a game where the inside of the ship would be a major part of the gameplay.

Not in Elite tho, we're at the wrong scale of gameplay operations for going surival-mode on pilot requirements. Han Solo never had to worry about when he had to take a dump, for example. I would appreciate more ship system complexity (which is about as equally likely, really), but the pilot's needs outside of direct pilot duties can be glossed over.

After playing Elite Dangerous for several months, I realized that the game is missing a few features that really break my immersion. My CMDR needs to have physical needs, he is not some invincible android who plugs in to the nearest ship's electrical socket. We really need a realistic system for CMDR hunger, thirst, and sleep. I envision "Restaurants" being added to every station, where the CMDR may stop to eat and drink periodically, and CMDRs should have to stock up on food/water rations. Hunger and thirst should induce delirium, hallucinations, blurred vision, and CMDRs death/random passing out. CMDRs should also be required to spend 25% of their time in ED sleeping.

It's been suggested many times before.
While I'm not opposed to the idea, I would rather it was an option to select.
Although, I don't know how you'd "rest" in an online game, maybe with spacelegs we can walk to our quarters and lay in the bed, just for immersion.

I'm also 90% sure most CMDRs do end up sleeping during supercruise. :ROFLMAO:

But yeah, i remember playing Skyrim with some realistic needs mods. It's good fun, but sometimes I just wanna kill stuff and not stop to pick up potatoes.

So +1, as an option. :)

I know you said you weren't serious. But just no.
Any time I see the 'i' word injected into a post I immediately think 'this person wants to put needless tedium into this game I'm playing'. e.g. Waiting for cargo to be loaded onto ships.

Last edited:
Top Bottom