Help out the colorblind CMDRs

Tried some serious mining today, kitted out my Krait Mk2 with all the goodies, according to a helpful Reddit post. Had no trouble finding ring hotspots with the detailed surface scanner, but after dropping into the ring, I find I can't see the difference between the pulse scanner results. (I'm a moderate protan, a form of red-green color blindness.). I can see the difference between the normal silver gray rocks and the golden ones, but that's it. I'm supposed to be looking for some that look more yellow than others, but... They all look yellow. Guess I'm gonna have to pass on serious mining for the time being.

This happens to me a lot actually, where a game has a color scheme that is less than optimal, but generally there are other cues in place and it's not crippling. In this case, I suppose I could try to utilize rock shape but that's gonna be a pain to figure out.

I can't even tell how many degrees of things the pulse wave analyser is supposed to be differentiating, 3, 4? May I suggest a change to more distinct colors? Maybe a bright almost white-blue, a dark pink-purple, and a green-gold-or orange? Those three should be pretty distinct.

Interestingly today I found out that the average person sees 100 million hues. I'm not sure how many color blind individuals see, but apparently a daughter of a color blind man will see 10x more hues than normal person due to an extra cone structure in their eye, for a whopping 100 million colors. Yay for my daughters, if I ever have any. ;)

There's only one model of rock that is crackable per ring type so you have to learn it anyway. It's more efficient to identify the rock then judge the intensity of the glow. Hopefully your color blindness doesn't stop you from distinguishing intensity.

I AGREE! SO ****in hard to tell them apart. i switched to PC for hud colors cause default is a nightmare for color blind folk. Voipal mining basically requires help of a non color blind individual.

For now I'm going process of elimination and hitting everything that looks roundish. I think eventually I'll be able to pick out the asteroid shape I'm looking for, but right now I'm finding about one target per 20 prospectors.

There's only one model of rock that is crackable per ring type so you have to learn it anyway. It's more efficient to identify the rock then judge the intensity of the glow. Hopefully your color blindness doesn't stop you from distinguishing intensity.
Definitely a combination of shape and intensity. I also suffer from a degree of red-green color blindness. I changed my HUD colors and that made a huge difference in CZs, but mining is another matter. It took me some time to figure it out, but I can now fly around skipping rocks and I am probably at 90% finding cores. There are still outliers that I have not figured out, where I fire a prospector and there are no cores, but it could be lack of practice. I mine for maybe an hour or two and then will go a month without touching it.

I couldn't agree more with the sentiments of this thread. I am legally blind with only about 10-20% usable vision. I had to change the hud colors on pc because the default scheme just would not work for my vision. The color hues of prospecting is a massive pain but it's also difficult for me to align my mining equipment with my intended targets, would love it if mining turrets actually behaved like turrets, or if we had a gimbled mining option. the new need for the updated equipment to make mining actually worth doing makes it impossible for me to do in the current state and I'm pretty much stuck with the old laser spray and collector swarm tactics of mining mediocrity. On the plus side, new methods don't give raw mats, so I guess there's one plus to being stuck in the past lol