Fixing PP would be extremely simple.

yes, open only would be a mandatory change for powerplay to be even taken seriously, and it would immediately expose a host of other flaws showing why a proper implementation of powerplay is not possible in elite.
From all the well hated persons I know this is the one who still makes the most sense - mostly.
Especially for the second part of this quote.

not an exploit. at this point i would like to stress that 5c is not the problem, but the symptom.
It is the problem, as it is players playing from the inside of your own power when it should be confrontational.

5c (spying, infiltration, sabotage and treason) is to be expected in any game based on organized conflict, just as in real life.
If it was designed to be like that, when if you scan certain points you gain intel like fort levels, traffic patterns etc to undermine then it would be valid and a proper mechanic.

"Good morning, Churchill, let me introduce our latest general, Adolf Hitler."

"Sieg Hei......hello! I am ready to serve you!"

"I don't know Attlee, he looks a bit shifty."

"Nonsense sir! He's been with us for a day and he has no CV. We can trust him implicitly. What should we do next, Adolf?"

"Bomb London!"
that's why groups need to keep sensible comms tight and police their ranks and territories, and that's actually part of the game.
Which is impossible if everyone gets a vote regardless, can swap allegiance without penalty, has infinite commanders on console to vote, and/ or can buy alts on PC.

of course if instead of a proper multiplayer environment you have everyone grinding away solo in private universes then there's little the group can do about it ... except stepping up their own grind or 5c'ing the opposition.
Which then destroys any logical semblance of adversarial conflict because it them comes down to how badly you can play on the inside rather than show skill and strategic thinking outwardly.

playing powerplay and complaining about 5c is like jumping into a fire complaining it burns.
No. Complaining about 5C is highlighting severe flaws. If it was that superfluous why is it every PP update talks about or is trying to mitigate it?

yes, open only would be a mandatory change for powerplay to be even taken seriously, and it would immediately expose a host of other flaws showing why a proper implementation of powerplay is not possible in elite.
It is possible, it just takes balls to change the bits that are flawed with it.

First of all, I am clearly part of the problem. I only want the parts, and the bounty payout benefits. I joined Aisling for her shields, then immediately left once I got them, and switched to the other Duval. I play primarily in private with other friends, but I don't really care about Powerplay, I just maintain the necessary rank, and enjoy the money from bounty hunting buffs. This thread is the first I see talking about how my actions are damaging the greater scope of the Powerplay. Is this small interaction with it, really affecting it adversely?

Commander Clueless

First of all, I am clearly part of the problem. I only want the parts, and the bounty payout benefits. I joined Aisling for her shields, then immediately left once I got them, and switched to the other Duval. I play primarily in private with other friends, but I don't really care about Powerplay, I just maintain the necessary rank, and enjoy the money from bounty hunting buffs. This thread is the first I see talking about how my actions are damaging the greater scope of the Powerplay. Is this small interaction with it, really affecting it adversely?

Commander Clueless
One single person alone should be no problem but since the game is heavily encouraging this behavior it leads to a massive occurrence and therefore is a clear design flaw. No player should be blamed for not using external tools or platforms, period. I just can't believe that 5C how it appears in its current form was initially intended by FD. If intended I'd say that's retarded - if not, it either needs to go or being altered. The voting opportunity is way too weak to fix these symptoms, there's a fundamental fix at the roots of the PP mechanics needed.

Last edited:
Is this small interaction with it, really affecting it adversely?
people grinding for weapons will take the shortest/most efficient path for their merit goal and that may be very disruptive to the strategy the faction is trying to follow.

what you can do is check the relevant power faction forum for their current strategy and try to comply. if you at all want! it's perfectly fine if you want to bust a power. but in the end this is built into the system, faction players have to assume that there will be a certain circulating mass acting sheepishly and should plan accordingly. i don't think this is the worst of their problems, more an annoyance.

this is about players that can't be dealt with in any way deliberately sabotaging votes and strategies. but if you think of it, these players are playing powerplay exactly as intended, this impunity is baked into the whole game so is applicable in powerplay too. it's a really silly game.

OP: Module shoppers were a problem in PP at the beginning, whereas now its more of a 5C exploit issue. Your ideas are neat and I'd love to see them, but PP requires a more root and branch redesign. Sandros proposal was the absolute minimum to bandaid Powerplay really.
Sadly, I'm a 'module shopper' in PowerPlay. I can't bring myself to get more involved (fortifying and undermining systems just seems so boring) than waiting 4 weeks, paying for my 750 credits - 100,00 a time to fast-track 10 - and get my module (then defect to start all over again). Once I've got all of the modules I want, I can't think of any good reason I'd return to PowerPlay - unless I need to get the occasional Prismatic Shield for a new ship...

However, if Frontier were to improve PowerPlay in some way...

Top Bottom