Ship Builds & Load Outs Ships Engineering for Trading

Okay, I've basically got the FSD up to G5 now, after some faff

I see that there's still a level up ring to complete for Felicity Farseer on G5 for her FSD...does it matter if I don't have this ring completed (it has optimised mass in blue...it doesn't seem to increase, but perhaps it does depending on how close I am to completing the ring)

So I guess what I'm asking is should I try to complete the G5 ring by keeping engineering an FSD G5, or does it not make any difference?
I would say finish the FSD engineering to G5, then select an experimental feature which you can only do at the engineer's base. On any FSD I want maxed for range, I add the Mass Managed experimental. You can go on coriolis and see how MM increases your jump range (its definitely worth finishing the G5 FSD). fwiw, I've had to leave Deciat before and go find more mats then go back to finish up the engineering rolls

Pretty much any trader is going to want G5 FSD range with Mass Manager. G5 Dirty Drives with the Drag special and G5 Heavy duty with deep plating on the standard light weight bulkheads. You'll also, if you haven't already, want to unlock the Guardian FSD booster. Up to 10 extra light years jump, even laden, makes a big difference.

For shields it depends on how much combat you are anticipating. Unarmed freighters will probably want to go for Enhanced low power backed by a couple of A rated heavy duty & E rated resistance augmented boosters. The weight reduction gives you a bit more jump range and enough shield to run. Armed freighters who aren't afraid of a few scrapes will probably want to go with Thermal resist and A rating for both Heavy Duty and Resistance boosters. Add Hull and Module re-reinforcements to taste. ;3

As an example here is my Armed Trading Cutter which I've been using to help out the IDA with repairing damaged stations.

CNR Leonberger

Learning to run is essential for survival in open and a ship build to help with that is actually easily build. There some general rules, which were already mentioned. Make sure to get a reinforced double braced A grade shield gen, prismatic is not necessary. Your armour also needs to reach a certain threshold so that shield breach attacks cannot easily kill you. Make sure to have positive resistances. Speed is also very important for blockade running, because of mass lock. Weapons are useless if you cannot fight.

This Krait MK2 would be an example of a difficult to kill trader. And it doesn't need every engineer.
Thanks for this! I've done a bit of engineering now, but mainly for exploration purposes (well, for exploration builds). I will keep at it, and am currently doing the mining for Selene Jean.

Thanks for the build too...would you not recommend the Python then over the Krait? I seemed to see that was a popular choice. I could probably afford the Anaconda, but I feel maybe I shouldn't jump that far ahead so soon due to rebuy costs etc

I would say finish the FSD engineering to G5, then select an experimental feature which you can only do at the engineer's base. On any FSD I want maxed for range, I add the Mass Managed experimental. You can go on coriolis and see how MM increases your jump range (its definitely worth finishing the G5 FSD). fwiw, I've had to leave Deciat before and go find more mats then go back to finish up the engineering rolls
Thanks, yes, I did this, and how it now (even got the Guardian FSD stuff too!)

I think now I'll try to get the shields and hull engineers unlocked

Pretty much any trader is going to want G5 FSD range with Mass Manager. G5 Dirty Drives with the Drag special and G5 Heavy duty with deep plating on the standard light weight bulkheads. You'll also, if you haven't already, want to unlock the Guardian FSD booster. Up to 10 extra light years jump, even laden, makes a big difference.

For shields it depends on how much combat you are anticipating. Unarmed freighters will probably want to go for Enhanced low power backed by a couple of A rated heavy duty & E rated resistance augmented boosters. The weight reduction gives you a bit more jump range and enough shield to run. Armed freighters who aren't afraid of a few scrapes will probably want to go with Thermal resist and A rating for both Heavy Duty and Resistance boosters. Add Hull and Module re-reinforcements to taste. ;3

As an example here is my Armed Trading Cutter which I've been using to help out the IDA with repairing damaged stations.

CNR Leonberger
Thanks for all this info! Very useful. I have got those things, but all for my Asp Explorer...so will have to get it again once i choose my trading ship of choice! I'm still a bit up in the air about all that really...a pain that you've then got to do all the engineering etc again if you make the wrong choice too!!

I prefer the Krait as it is more manoeuvrable than the Python and it can be used as a good PvP ship as well.
Pythons are mostly used as pure PvE builds. I rarely see them in open.
ah okay, I didn't realise that. I mainly play in open, but just because I like that the game allows it. I'll look into the Krait then! What about the lower cargo capacity of the Krait though? Doesn't that hugely affect it?

Krait vs Python: just download the free elite monthly magazine Saggitarius Eye Issue 20 (this years April). Its a 10 pages comparison of all aspects, verrry helpful. "While the Krait is a much better combat ship, the Python’s real strength lies in its flexibility as a mission runner and this is the real reason people still buy this venerable design today."
Shortcut link here

What about the lower cargo capacity of the Krait though? Doesn't that hugely affect it?
The 152 tons in the build I linked should be enough for most missions. Of course the python can have more, but at the same time it has a lot less survivability. The Krait is faster than any ship which can mass lock it, and considerably faster than the python. But to be honest I run cargo only for smuggling, so my experience is limited.

Krait vs Python: just download the free elite monthly magazine Saggitarius Eye Issue 20 (this years April). Its a 10 pages comparison of all aspects, verrry helpful. "While the Krait is a much better combat ship, the Python’s real strength lies in its flexibility as a mission runner and this is the real reason people still buy this venerable design today."
Shortcut link here
Wow, that's impressive that there's such a high quality magazine that's produced out there! Thanks for that...is the magazine usually that good and comprehensive? I may try to catch up on them! Just time that may be my enemy

The 152 tons in the build I linked should be enough for most missions. Of course the python can have more, but at the same time it has a lot less survivability. The Krait is faster than any ship which can mass lock it, and considerably faster than the python. But to be honest I run cargo only for smuggling, so my experience is limited.
ah yes, I always forget that most people don't just do trading, but do missions instead (which is less of a faff to be sure!)..so yes, the space you have doesn't really matter that much really. I used to like plotting routes and making trade laps, but it was a lot of work and probably not worth it over what you can do normally by just doing missions etc

Top Bottom