Engineering: Armour / HRP / General

Hi all, so I need to engineer Armour and HRP to unlock the next engineers - am at Kuk with Selene Jean at my disposal. I don't actually run Armour upgrades or HRPs on my ship. Not a problem I guess - I assume I temporarily buy and install them, and then engineer them to grade-up the engineer, to unlock the invite for the next engineer. Then reinstall my previous fit out, to get back to my normal ship configuration without hull and armour. Correct?

The main issue I have is on Armour, however. I select it to upgrade. It asks me for "which class I want to review". It's not a module so am confused how this numbering system works. I am presented with an option for class 1-8. Only class 1 seems to work....but I don't know why or what this means.

Can anyone provide any assistance, advice and / or explanation for these engineering items with Selene? I can't seem to find any straight answer on tehr interwebz.

What are the best upgrades to do here anyway? I am running an all-purpose engineered Python, although I will be visiting all engineers soon with a new Krait or Krait Phantom, and a new FDL or Mamba, to get them upgraded.

Much appreciated for any help guys. :)

Major Edit: Odd.... Now when I select the Armour upgrade it automatically defaults to a 1C Lightweight Alloy and allows me to select. Bug? A bit odd. Probably ignore this post please

Last edited:
You are at Kuk? This engineer does not sell armour, only upgrades it. If your ship does not have advanced types of armour installed, only the standard stuff (lightweight alloy) is available to be engineered. For the purpose of unlocking other engineers, however, this is not necessary.

You see, lightweight alloy can be engineered, and when choosing, for instance, to upgrade light-weight alloy with heavy-duty armour, there is one advantage: NO weight increase. :) In other words, you kill two birds with one stone (fragmentation cannon, these days...): you get considerably better protection without any drawbacks, AND you unlock those engineers.

Enjoy, Commander!
Kindest regards,

DDM_Reaper20

Ummm, if you don't use armour and HRPs, why'd you need to bother ranking-up with Selene Jean?

Beyond that, your ship already has some kind of hull armour - even if it's just Light Alloy.
Just apply mod's to that.

Frankly, if your ship has a light-alloy hull, you'd have to be nuts not to want to apply a Heavy Duty mod' to it.

Thanks so much everyone. not sure what the initial problem was. Feels like a bug. when I first was at the engineer, trying to go for the upgrade, it was showing me a menu I'd never seen, option of selecting 1 - 8 in 8 boxes. Went back in a short while later and it showed me a default 1C armour upgrade, I selected that and I could engineer away from there as usual. A strange one.

you can "remove modifications" and return your modules back to stock at any station with outfitting. Just select the module and click "remove modification".

I think you may have clicked on HRP's to see that screen (1-8) as you have none

This screen is there to show you the upgrade options and mats cost for a module you don't have fitted at the time. The 1-8 refers to module size but it sort of pointless

Thanks so much everyone. not sure what the initial problem was. Feels like a bug. when I first was at the engineer, trying to go for the upgrade, it was showing me a menu I'd never seen, option of selecting 1 - 8 in 8 boxes. Went back in a short while later and it showed me a default 1C armour upgrade, I selected that and I could engineer away from there as usual. A strange one.
That sounds like the screen you get when you click on "show all mods" rather than clicking on a module that you actually have installed on your ship.

You should always have access to some mod's at Selene Jean 'cos your ship always has some kind of "armour" fitted, even if it's only the Light-Alloy armour that's standard fitment.

The main purpose of the "show all mods" option is, presumably, so that you can browse all the mods an engineer offers and then pin one for remote-engineering - as well as to simply give you an opportunity to see what modules they can fettle, obviously.

The Replicated Man

T
She's one of the best engineers imo. If you are running Lightweight bulkheads, just engineer them with G5 Heavy Duty. It doesn't add any weight to the ship and you get a nice hull boost. If you were running reactive armor, you would want G5 Heavy Duty and then throw a G5 Thermal HRP on to balance the resists.

Top Bottom