Elite Dangerous : Post Mortem

Absolutely no reason why they wouldn't do it. The game would become offline,the modding community would take over, FD still make sales from new players buying the core package. Am personally looking forward to an offline version of ED (if nothing better comes along) Just take a look at what the modding community has done for X3TC, that game will never die.
Yeah, but back then they also said we would get offline mode.
Later they said it's not possible.
I believe it when I see it.

Yes. It was mentioned a few years back. I think it may have been David Braben himself.
A pity Mr Braben has been very absent in the last couple years.
It suggests to me the drive behind Elite has gone.
Hopefully we will have some option to run the game after they pull the plug on it.

I was recently wondering about Elite Dangerous and one thought crossed my mind. That one day there might come times when ED is no longer active given the game's Game as a Service model.
If FD takes the same route as EVE did, when that's gonna happen the game will be like 20+ years old and it will be time to move on ^^

I can't believe that people actually believe that a public company would open it's assets to the public just because the CEO threw the idea as a bone is some Q&A. It probably wouldn't even be legal.

The game is going to continue to be supported by the developer, or not. Plain and simple.

It's pretty much the same in the end when the mysterious "snapshot" is played offline.
No, there is a huge difference between shutting up shop,providing a bare bones unsupported snapshot of the galaxy, vs implementing and supporting an active offline mode for a projected 10 years, on top of the standard online Solo/PG/OPEN modes.

If you think development is slow at the moment, imagine if they went ahead with the planned offline mode. Pretty much a separate game to be patched/supported and developed.

I think DB was pretty clear, just a snapshot, completely static, no support from the devs. Great as a sandbox platform for modders, will also be buggy as hell, like X3TC and many other games. I spent more time fixing dodgy mods than actually playing, also trying to stop the game from having CTD's, still a lot of fun when it does work, and thousands of mods and kitbash ships to choose from.

Last edited:
I can't believe that people actually believe that a public company would open it's assets to the public just because the CEO threw the idea as a bone is some Q&A. It probably wouldn't even be legal.

The game is going to continue to be supported by the developer, or not. Plain and simple.
I don't quite think you understand what is being discussed here.

No, there is a huge difference between shutting up shop,providing a bare bones unsupported snapshot of the galaxy, vs implementing and supporting an active offline mode for a projected 10 years, on top of the standard online Solo/PG/OPEN modes.

If you think development is slow at the moment, imagine if they went ahead with the planned offline mode. Pretty much a separate game to be patched/supported and developed.

I think DB was pretty clear, just a snapshot, completely static, no support from the devs. Great as a sandbox platform for modders, will also be buggy as hell, like X3TC and many other games. I spent more time fixing dodgy mods then actually playing, also trying to stop the game from having CTD's, still a lot of fun when it does work, and thousands of mods and kitbash ships to choose from.
If they had just made these snapshots for offline mode we'd need not worry about end of life cycle prospects now.

If they had just made these snapshots for offline mode we'd need not worry about end of life cycle prospects now.
A snapshot is not something you can sell to a customer base as a full fledged game. I doubt very much the original plan was just a static galaxy, hence why they had to ditch the idea. A true offline mode would have required a huge amount of dev time.

I would have been happy with a snapshot, and graphical updates to match the main game, couldn't care less about story lines and a dynamic BGS. Am willing to bet the majority wouldn't have been happy with that.

Last edited:
That is completely different to offering an an unsupported snapshot of the galaxy. Not even close to being the same thing.
it could be. what if their software includes third party licenses that don't allow such an archive to be made public? with some luck this could be a replaceable component, or something that could be safely dropped (eg, psx compatibility, good luck making anything sony-related public), but it could also be too intertwined with the source/asset tree itself to be worth addressing.

it's more than just uploading the code to the cloud. there are a lot of possible challenges to this idea, and not only legal. e.g., they may have hard dependencies on amazon or whatever services that may well be obsolete and unsupported by the time they release, or be too costly for a community effort to take up.

the coincidence would be promises made that can't be held, and that has happened twice already: with offline mode and with mac support. it's pretty understandable that frontier now shy away from fostering such expectations.

it's more than just uploading the code to the cloud.
I don't think anyone is suggesting they would be uploading code. A snapshot means no dynamic BGS, no pushing numbers around or evolving galaxy. Since cheating is no longer an issue, mods would be able to change ship stats, add personal paint kits etc etc, nothing to do with heavily modifying the core game.

There is a ton of stuff in this game locked down, all because this is an online shared galaxy.

I don't quite think you understand what is being discussed here.
Why don't you enlighten me then?

I'm particularly interested in the aspect of accomodating the game's current client - server architecture without FDEV ending up having to release any sort of copyrighted software for free.

Why don't you enlighten me then?

I'm particularly interested in the aspect of accomodating the game's current client - server architecture without FDEV ending up having to release any sort of copyrighted software for free.
You think a snapshot means we will still have online capability? The only reason we need access to any servers is due to the BGS. With an offline static mode am sure things like bookmarks/changes to ships could be handled locally. Bottom line is nobody knows how they would handle it, I personally see no reason why it couldn't be done, the CEO of the company seems to also agree.

Top Bottom