Elite Dangerous : Post Mortem

Greetings.

I was recently wondering about Elite Dangerous and one thought crossed my mind. That one day there might come times when ED is no longer active given the game's Game as a Service model.
This kind of saddens me. So here is my question, aimed more at the Developer team :
Will ED: Post Mortem allow for players to run their own servers in similar manner World of Warcraft's private servers play out?
Will a documentation / software be released allowing Us, players to continue on playing should the game no longer be available on official servers?

I know many would appreciate that a lot.

Fingers crossed for getting an official answer.

David Braben said he is a supporter of preserving games and liked that old games could still be played and kept for posterity.

He also said he had heard these concerns during the whole kick-starter phase, and that they take "snapshots" of the game, and would release such things (not a direct quote but close) "if the game ever shut down, though I don't want it to"

While We are at it, a little off-topic question:
is David still taking part in the game's development?
Somewhere i think i came across some doubtful opinions on this matter...

I'd be amazed if he's not tbh. However FDev keep their cards very close to their chest in all regards so don't expect official confirmation any time soon.

FD have said many many many times that David Braben is very close to the game, and is in almost all of the big decision meetings.

We can safely say yes, he is still involved in the development, he doesn't code things though... He's said several times his coding is "out of date"

But he's involved in design and direction a lot, according to multiple statements from FD designers/producers.

I personally don't take it as a given, despite of what has been said.

But I guess we have quite some years left before this question becomes relevant for us.

Absolutely no reason why they wouldn't do it. The game would become offline,the modding community would take over, FD still make sales from new players buying the core package. Am personally looking forward to an offline version of ED (if nothing better comes along) Just take a look at what the modding community has done for X3TC, that game will never die.

Absolutely no reason why they wouldn't do it. The game would become offline,the modding community would take over, FD still make sales from new players buying the core package. Am personally looking forward to an offline version of ED (if nothing better comes along) Just take a look at what the modding community has done for X3TC, that game will never die.
Yes we could see great additions by the community.

I don't think we'll need to worry about this for at least two years (all depends on how the big 2020 update goes). the one reason I didn't flip out when offline mode was cancelled was because they made the reassurance that they would enable us to play the game after the servers were 'sunset'.

As long as the present people are in charge, I think they'll keep to that.

if they did release the server code, 3rd party folk would re-balance the ships, streamline materials, delete Engineering, fix PP, add CQC bots, fix the bugs, add small seismic charges and there would be much rejoicing

I personally wouldn't want to play on private servers, as much as i love Elite Dangerous, if Fdev ever stopped developing and/or supporting the game, if they cut it loose completely, i'd just keep the memories and move onto something else. I hope that doesn't happen for a long time, because in its current state i feel ED strongly merits a continued chance to keep getting better.

Greetings.

I was recently wondering about Elite Dangerous and one thought crossed my mind. That one day there might come times when ED is no longer active given the game's Game as a Service model.
This kind of saddens me. So here is my question, aimed more at the Developer team :
Will ED: Post Mortem allow for players to run their own servers in similar manner World of Warcraft's private servers play out?
Will a documentation / software be released allowing Us, players to continue on playing should the game no longer be available on official servers?

I know many would appreciate that a lot.

Fingers crossed for getting an official answer.
I very much doubt FD would open up their network code and approach for scrutiny...

Top Bottom