Newcomer / Intro Do gimballed multi-cannons get better than 2F?

I FINALLY got enough credits to upgrade my 2 gimballed multi-cannons to what you see here and add my second gimballed beam laser. Is it true that the gimballed multi-cannons don't get better letter grade than F? same with the gimballed beam laser with the letter "E"? I think I can take on one of those 100k bounty Anaconda missions now though!

2015-01-12_00005.jpg

I remember reading that certain classes of weapons only go to certain grades.

So, to answer, I dont think they get any better than what you have. If they do, I havent seen them either.

There is only one grade of weapon for each class, type and mount, so all Gimballed Class 2 Multi-cannons are Grade F, and all Gimballed Class 1 Beam Lasers are Grade E. Hopefully this is something they will expand on in the future, and give us higher grade weapons that do more damage, or generate less heat, and so on.

Ok, so I have the best gimballed beam lasers and multi-cannons I can get, except for when/if I can afford or have the power to have turreted

Ok, so I have the best gimballed beam lasers and multi-cannons I can get, except for when/if I can afford or have the power to have turreted
"Best" is debatable. For example, fixed beams will have slightly higher DPS and lower power/heat than gimballed, and turreted will be even worse than gimballed. The trade off is that the gimballed and turreted weapons have a wider arc of fire and automated tracking, so time on target may make up for the lower on-paper damage. It also comes down to pilot preference, eg I have all gimballed weapons on my Viper, but for my Eagle I prefer Fixed Burst Lasers and a gimballed Multi-cannon.

But yes, there currently aren't any better class 1 gimballed beam lasers available than what you have on your ship currently. I really do hope they add more grades of weapons in the near future.

Last edited:
"Best" is debatable. For example, fixed beams will have slightly higher DPS and lower power/heat than gimballed, and turreted will be even worse than gimballed. The trade off is that the gimballed and turreted weapons have a wider arc of fire and automated tracking, so time on target may make up for the lower on-paper damage. It also comes down to pilot preference, eg I have all gimballed weapons on my Viper, but for my Eagle I prefer Fixed Burst Lasers and a gimballed Multi-cannon.

But yes, there currently aren't any better class 1 gimballed beam lasers available than what you have on your ship currently. I really do hope they add more grades of weapons in the near future.
That's why I went with gimballed instead of fixed, I have horrible accuracy when it comes to fixed and I don't plan on coming within 2 feet of an Anaconda just to hit the thing

I`m so confused about all the grades of weapons. Wish it said something about which grade is the best for each type of ship. It would avoid so much confusion with everyone.

Well, I still can't take on Anacondas, what's the next ship to upgrade to?
Actually, it is even possible with a sidewinder (if you have a lot of patience), it is laughably easy in a Viper, and pretty manageable in a Cobra. The Elite Anaconda missions are the only missions I do currently, since the other NPCs are push overs.
At least B Thrusters and B shields and a B shield cell bank (and with that loadout, a good power plant is necessary too) and whatever weapon you are comfortable (really, it doesn't really matter, as long as you know how to stay on target). Keep some distance ~1.5 to 2.5 km until the Anaconda goes slow (don't know if it is a bug, but once the shields and some hull is gone, you can get closer, I think it is setting energy to SYS then, because it maneuvers a lot slower when it is damaged), keep your sidethrusters burning and target the power plant once the shields are down. Fire the shield cells when 2 of your shield rings go down and KEEP AWAY FROM THE POINTY END OF THE CONDA! -> side thrust all the time. Takes a few minutes, but you won't even lose hull if you do it right.
Have fun, it really becomes routine after a while.

Echo what Bishop says. Upgraded thrusters and shield, with a cell bank, and a cobra can take anaconda assassinations all day.

I run chaff too, as the turreted beam 'Condas can still make a dent.

Well, I still can't take on Anacondas, what's the next ship to upgrade to?
Replying to quote for new Combat-role pve/pvp players who are hitting this up on a Google search in 2019:
The best overall stat-wise craft for combat I would say, after comparing stats in several categories, is most likely going to be a Corvette. It won't have as much defensive stats as an Anaconda, but it has more maneouverability and more powerful hard point layout than an Anaconda.

You are more likely going to beat an Anaconda in a Corvette, once you devote a purely offensive strategy to it. But hey, I've seen that guy making a fool out of anything whilst flying a Beluga passenger liner and as others mentioned above, Cobras are quite good all rounders, so... a lot of success also falls to the piloting skills.

As for the hardpoint class themselves, you must take into consideration how good you are at actually hitting the target with the DPS you have. It might be all good having a fixed mount for more damage, but you still have to be able to deliver that damage effectively and accurately. Which is why I go for the happy medium of Gimballed = medium dps but with aim-assist, for better hits.

Hopefully this is something they will expand on in the future, and give us higher grade weapons that do more damage, or generate less heat, and so on.
The future is here (and has been here since Horizons started).

Engineers.

They (ok, some of them, and you'll have to research/know what you want) can upgrade your weapons. More damage, less heat, shooting down missiles, faster reload, longer range,...
Together with specific goodies from PowerPlay, you could go from this piece of popcorn
to something nobody would laugh at twice

I`m so confused about all the grades of weapons. Wish it said something about which grade is the best for each type of ship. It would avoid so much confusion with everyone.
There's some inconsistency in the game when it comes to Equipment grading.

Alot of Equipment such as Frameshift Drives or Shield Generators come in different Grades, i.e. E-Grade (lowest performance) to A-Grade (highest performance) within one class.

Weapons, however, only ever come in a fixed Grade per type. The Grading here is measured across all different Weapons and comes with various caveats.
The Class 2 Gimbal Pulse Laser for example is graded "F", while the Class 2 Fixed Pulse Laser is graded "E".
  • there is no such thing as Grade 2D through 2A Pulse Lasers, only the Gimbal, Fixed and Turret variants
  • the 2E Class 2 Pulse Laser isn't automatically better than the 2F Gimbal Pulse Laser because in order to use the slightly increased DPS of the Fixed version one needs very good aim ;)
There's other oddballs such as some Utilities like Chaff Launcher or Point Defense as well. Both are rated "Class 0 I" and there's no such thing as let's say a "Class 0 A" or even a higher Class Chaff Launcher or Point Defense.
Standard Cargo Racks are for example always E-Grade. As well, there's no "A-Grade Cargo Rack" with increased capacity or any other suspected benefits.

But once the two different grading Systems are understood (upgrades possible E to A-Grade, as found on many fixed and optional Internals) vs. fixed Grading (global, as found on Weapons and many Utilities), things get quite easy.

Not sure the guy is still waiting since his 2015 post ... not sure why some people (not you, the other one) insist on replying to ancient threads as if anyone is still waiting...
Haha, nice catch :D
(guilty of not checking OP dates here, makes me wonder how people find such old Posts)
@Khoraak did allude to the thread having been thrown up by google, presumably that is the cause of a lot of the recent necros.

Google doesn't just to it here, but to all the forums it seems. I was doing a search for something the other day, and Google spit out something from 2014...Hmmm, only 5 years ago, like 5000 years in Game time...there have been how many updates since then? But, some Necros do have some interesting info...So I guess it is a buggered if you do, buggered if you don't thing.

When Google gave me the information here, I found it invaluable. "Randoms" are just as entitled to access of information and enjoyment, as well as being a part of the forum community as "Elite-Upper-class" members who somehow see themselves as more worthy? <shrug>

If posts are closed, then the forums and search engine capability on providing information to help new players becomes something of a more exclusive content where new players have no idea whatsoever as to what the hell people are talking about.

Edit: Besides, when old posts are brought into the fore, it only serves as a multiplier on the forum itself, for bringing helpful information to new players who may be searching for this kind of information in the forums, so that they can get on with enjoying their game :)

I don't see how something like this deserves complaining about. If someone sees an old thread, and they already know the info, just move on.. why complain?

Last edited:
Top Bottom