Distant Worlds 2 - A Journey of Discovery

Congratulations to all the organisation team for another splendid DW. The organisation has been superb, and I owe you all at least a pint or a gin and tonic. Fleetcomm has been a nice introduction via the chat to CMDR's I did not know, and the Waypoints and POI's superb. Congrats again and if you have any naysayers or doom mongers just point them in my direction and I will explain the facts of life.

Wait. We are not going to the DW1 basecamp? (Darwin's legacy) Don't know about anyone else, but I'll drop by there to give a salute before heading to the DW2 basecamp.

Damn. I'll miss Grand Rings, I've already crossed the Abyss along the Rock Rat Run...
You can always catch it on the way back...

To be fair, it ain't guite as grand as it used to be, thanks to a bit of judicious galactic tweaking by the Devs, but still well worth a vist. Plus it has Diamond Geysers, which weren't there when I found it :)

Last edited:
I add my voice to what many colleagues have said during these long but beautiful days of travel: thank you very much to the organizers for having offered us so many good and beautiful places to meet friends after the hard stages, thank you for your effort and now it's time to rest and... prepare the next DW !

Just wanted to post that this was my first flight farther out than 1000Ly from the bubble. I only did it because DW2 gave me that push and I can't believe I made it this far.

I'm already thinking about what region I want to go and explore next. A big thanks to the distant worlds team, it really was something special.

Hi,

Quick question about the arrivals thread. It says that it's only from April 22nd to June 13th. I've arrived at BP today, and the arrival is ticked on EDSM, but I've started my trip back to EA (slightly worried about my PP). Should I hang around and go back to BP? Or can I still be marked as being complete?

Thanks very much for organising this event, it's been outstanding.

CMDR BobbyGeorge #7825

Hi,

Quick question about the arrivals thread. It says that it's only from April 22nd to June 13th. I've arrived at BP today, and the arrival is ticked on EDSM, but I've started my trip back to EA (slightly worried about my PP). Should I hang around and go back to BP? Or can I still be marked as being complete?

Thanks very much for organising this event, it's been outstanding.

CMDR BobbyGeorge #7825

To be 100% sure that you'll be recorded as competing the expedition, you'll need to log in at BP during those dates (you also need to be on the fleet roster).

"
Registering your completion of the DW2 Expedition;

To do this you will need to log in at Beagle Point at least once between April 22nd and June 13th.
"

What if I finished before April 22nd? Will I need to go out to Beagle Point again?

nvm, just saw the recent conversations

Any chance they are gonna get this Arrivals thread up and running soon...45 minutes till the 22nd (game time) and gonna log in and out then. But would like to finish my paper work today and start burning home

Could anyone define a "large supply of Jumponium " . 32-33ly asp exp here... how many stage 1 injections will i be safe with to complete the trip to beagle point and back home eventually?

Could anyone define a "large supply of Jumponium " . 32-33ly asp exp here... how many stage 1 injections will i be safe with to complete the trip to beagle point and back home eventually?
You can cross the Abyss via Route 33 and need very few, possibly none with some fume jumping depending on exactly what your non-boosted limit is.

The only changes I made to the last part of the expedition were to downgrade Aristo and Kalipheron from being fortnightly WPs, to being intermediate POIs instead. This shortened the journey across the Aphelion by two weeks as a 4 week mapping event would have dragged on too long. Everything else is as I originally planned it.

The final stages are the toughest ones to plan, for a few reasons, one being that its hard to keep things as interesting as the early stages since our 'side' of the galaxy is packed full of varied content, like handcrafted nebulae, star clusters, non-procedural systems etc - none of which exists anywhere else in the galaxy, so expeditions out this far invariably have to cross vast areas of featureless space, and that's hard to keep interesting for players who've been on a journey for months already. Thus the pacing of a journey out here has to adapt to that lack of content, and it can't really follow the same guidelines as the early stages did. The other is that burn tends to hit players the most during the latter stages (this has always been the case, and we often roleplayed it as space madness).

Ironically DW1 was much easier to keep the latter stages interesting as we had the foreboding Abyss to cross, one final obstacle that really challenged players back then. On DW2 that's no longer the case thanks to the advanced route plotters and extra long range jump drives we have, and the now charted routes players have produced in the times since those early days when it really felt like stepping into the unknown. So unless we're all travelling old school with sub-34 LY ships, the Abyss no longer gives us that final hurdle we once looked forward to.

In saying that, there is still content to see out here, as I hope today's map will provide. And as you mentioned the extra jump ranges we have do also open up some extra systems we can visit out on the very rim, like the Semotus Beacon, something we couldn't reach during DW1.

DW2's original proposal would have had us building a surface installation at BP throughout May, and that would have been the finale. FDev rejected that part of the proposal so effectively the expedition ends as a sort of pilgrimage to Beagle Point, a system that's pretty ordinary but one that explorers like to cross off their bucket list.
Thank you for this thorough and well thought-out response. It was everything I wanted to know and more.

What's more, I never thought I, a novice explorer who's made precisely one trip out of the bubble before this (to Barnard's Loop), would get a personal answer from the expedition leader. Really speaks to your investment in this event. And in case it wasn't abundantly clear from my first post, I really am grateful for this experience. I don't know if I'll ever make the transgalactic crossing again (unless there's a DW3...), but this has been one for the books.

See you all at Beagle Point -- if only in spirit!

Like someone mentioned above, if it wasn't for Distant Worlds II, I'd still be flying around the bubble still! I enjoyed this expedition, the players I met along the way, and the nice sights from one waypoint to another. My hats off to the DW organizers for a well thought out and executed expedition.

Attachments

Top Bottom