Distant Worlds 2 - A Journey of Discovery

Having said that, as a player who can dedicate to the game only a couple of hours a day at most and in any case sensitive to sunny days, if up to WP10 I tried to keep up with the intermediate stages, visiting the various POIs, from WP10 onwards with 14k / ly runs, the only goal was to arrive. More than a week or so, and for a couple of weeks I may not even be able to get back into the game, so after quickly reaching WP11 I hurried to Beagle Point, which presumably will be WP12, to wait there for the rest of the expedition .
I understand that everyone has a chance to play more or less time. But already in the original post of the event the organizers already took charge of communicating to all the possible participants the distances and the time to use in doing them before beginning the trip:

"The average waypoint to waypoint distance is around 5,000 Light Years, therefore as a rough guide, a travel time requirement of around 2 hours spread over 5 days for a 45 LY ranged ship (the current fleet average) will be required. Revealing the route in stages will help encourage the early emphasis of the DW2 expedition to lean toward a more thorough and slower-paced attitude to exploration and discovery during our journey into the new unknown."

I even remember that Erimus wrote in his time (I don't really find that text now) the approximate equivalences in time according to the type of jump jump of the ships something of the style of (I am inventing myself right now): if your ship jumps 40 ly it will take 40 min to make 1000 ly, if your ship jumps 35 ly it will take a time of 50 min to make 1000 ly etc. We should all know more or less that a route of this magnitude requires some time but is that in addition, the organizers took care that we knew.

Even so, they took care that it would take a minimum jump to get to BP if you needed to use injection engineers.
To resort to the lack of time is as if now a person arrives and in the last stage says: oh wow! I have neither engineers nor ship with capacity of jump to arrive at BP... there is no problem that they tell me that I have carried out all the expedition. It's the same for me.

I have been in some of the sites that the expedition has proposed as route points, in several, but that has not prevented me from going back to go why? Because I have always considered this an expedition in stages and with specific dates to meet them and if I do not meet one of the two, I am simply not completing or fulfilling.

So what are the roles of fuel rat, logistics? Why are there different points of route and dates if anyone can go directly to the final destination or skip stages? Why all the work of the organizers? This is not a distance race but a stage race.

Again, please don't misunderstand my words: I understand that there are people who have had problems in their real life and finally can't meet the times, I understand that there are people who still know where they were going, that they weren't going to meet all the stages, even so they make their journey as well as they can, what I don't understand is that you can raise your voice (I'm not saying that nobody has done it) if you don't get the recompesan if at the end you give something. The first reward that one should have is to have done the right things following the program and the correct participation of the expedition.

I'd rather you stayed out of it.
Erimus has already said that these data will not count to know if one has been or not in these sites because not everyone uploads the data of their logs to the EDSM website (I imagine that people who play on console the first who can not do so) in addition to many PC commanders simply do not upload them between them, the same Erimus that appears on that website with zero route made :D

Moving the goalposts on an expedition already in progress, in any way, would be a terrible idea.
It may be terrible, yes, but it would be the right thing to do. Another thing is that it could be viable, something that I don't think it could be.

I also missed WP6, because I was mapping off route and wasn't in a position to get back in time. Plus, I skipped both WP8 and its alternative because I'd had a disagreement with a large planet and needed to catch up by the quickest route possible.

I'd like to think this doesn't mean I've not participated, but if it does, if I don't end up with a badge or whatever... I really don't mind at all. I joined DW2, and will reach Beagle at some point in the coming fortnight, for the joy of the journey and nothing more. It's been a lot of fun, and I'm very grateful to the organisers. Lack of some 100% badge is pretty irrelevant by comparison.
And this is the true spirit of any participant in any expedition.
Congratulations, commander, for having this attitude.

Just out of curiosity, why the changes to the last half of the expedition? The first couple stages were all 5 WPs each stretching over 3-4 months; the last two are one WP each over less than a month. Originally DW2 outbound was going well into May, but now instead it's ending at the end of April. The inbound segment seems more or less scrapped. It just feels a little disappointing.

Hopefully no one reads this as a complaint or a demand. I've never been much into exploring, so this has been a really treasured and memorable experience for me, and I'm incredibly excited to make it to Beagle Point/Semotus Beacon. I just want the expedition to finish strong.

I've just joined the expedition even though I'm not 'officially on the list' ... yet! ;)

I got to visit my first asteroid base at WP1, my first space crystals farm at WP2, and logged and deciphered the comms beacon at WP2, and will now go search the planet for the location of what I assume was the basecamp for WP2 before continuing onwards. So I'm buckballing it to a degree in order to catch up to folks, but I'm still having a blast discovering things I've never seen before. I'll hopefully be able to join in on a more leisurely return voyage seeing the sights with the remaining CMDRs.

Hopefully meet you folks at BP!

Just out of curiosity, why the changes to the last half of the expedition? The first couple stages were all 5 WPs each stretching over 3-4 months; the last two are one WP each over less than a month. Originally DW2 outbound was going well into May, but now instead it's ending at the end of April. The inbound segment seems more or less scrapped. It just feels a little disappointing.

Hopefully no one reads this as a complaint or a demand. I've never been much into exploring, so this has been a really treasured and memorable experience for me, and I'm incredibly excited to make it to Beagle Point/Semotus Beacon. I just want the expedition to finish strong.
This end of the expedition is focused on galactic mapping. If you give people more time to get there, they can take a less direct route and get some good data.

Also, worth bearing in mind that covering distances in the last stage is a slower business, especially for ships with lower jump ranges, because of the much reduced star density. It can be a slow creep forward when you're in the galactic fringes.

Glad you've enjoyed it (y)

... your suggestion would "eliminate" those who didn't make screenshots at every stop and don't have the logs to prove they were there. Pretty much every console user then.
PS4 CMDR here, and yes I've hit every main waypoint, but not all the supposedly-optional sights, nor taken screenshots to prove everything, nor am I connected to EDSM.
While I've certainly snapped a few items, and gotten videos of some mass jumps, it wouldn't be enough evidence, so would not like to be invalidated as a participating member thanks.

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58XGM0jdVhE

WP8 to WP11 today without any neutron boosts. My hand's tired and I'm sick of ELWs. I found so many, I started dreading finding more because it was slowing me down.

@jj.justme

You seemed to have missed out the part where the organisers have stressed that NOTHING was mandatory during the trip. Each cmdr was allowed to move at their own pace in their own time.

The fact that I can put more hours into ED than most is my concern only & shouldn't be scrutinised by anyone else.

I have visited every WP posted, mostly ahead of the fleet & then explored around the regions or just parked up & waited for the fleet to catch up & the next WP announcement - nothing wrong with that!
Others, who couldn't put the time in have fallen behind OR HAD to miss out WP's, to try & catch up.

The organisers have done a marvelous job in bringing this together, btw I was also on the 1st DW trip too. It's their call on how the trip proceeds AND ends!

The only changes I made to the last part of the expedition were to downgrade Aristo and Kalipheron from being fortnightly WPs, to being intermediate POIs instead. This shortened the journey across the Aphelion by two weeks as a 4 week mapping event would have dragged on too long. Everything else is as I originally planned it.

The final stages are the toughest ones to plan, for a few reasons, one being that its hard to keep things as interesting as the early stages since our 'side' of the galaxy is packed full of varied content, like handcrafted nebulae, star clusters, non-procedural systems etc - none of which exists anywhere else in the galaxy, so expeditions out this far invariably have to cross vast areas of featureless space, and that's hard to keep interesting for players who've been on a journey for months already. Thus the pacing of a journey out here has to adapt to that lack of content, and it can't really follow the same guidelines as the early stages did. The other is that burnout tends to hit players the most during the latter stages (this has always been the case, and we often roleplayed it as space madness).

Ironically DW1 was much easier to keep the latter stages interesting as we had the foreboding Abyss to cross, one final obstacle that really challenged players back then. On DW2 that's no longer the case thanks to the advanced route plotters and extra long range jump drives we have, and the now charted routes players have produced in the times since those early days when it really felt like stepping into the unknown. So unless we're all travelling old school with sub-34 LY ships, the Abyss no longer gives us that final hurdle we once looked forward to.

In saying that, there is still content to see out here, as I hope today's map will provide. And as you mentioned the extra jump ranges we have do also open up some extra systems we can visit out on the very rim, like the Semotus Beacon, something we couldn't reach during DW1.

DW2's original proposal would have had us building a surface installation at BP throughout May, and that would have been the finale. FDev rejected that part of the proposal so effectively the expedition ends as a sort of pilgrimage to Beagle Point, a system that's pretty ordinary but one that explorers like to cross off their bucket list.

Last edited:
IMO, if you have participated in this event in any way and manage to make it across The Abyss and on to Beagle Point, you deserve whatever reward there might be, end of.

FDev rejected that part of the proposal so effectively the expedition ends as a sort of pilgrimage to Beagle Point, a system that's pretty ordinary but one that explorers like to cross off their bucket list.
Why FDev would do that?They should absorb some ideas from the explorers, after all, a good percentage is enjoying exploring although it's not evolved as promised...
They should pay some attention to what people say, and focus also to the existing players, not only attracting new ones.
Anyway....I don't want to around, DW2 remains one of the coolest events ever...

Last edited:
DW2's original proposal would have had us building a surface installation at BP throughout May, and that would have been the finale. FDev rejected that part of the proposal so effectively the expedition ends as a sort of pilgrimage to Beagle Point, a system that's pretty ordinary but one that explorers like to cross off their bucket list.
Well, if the rumoured leaks of the development roadmap are accurate, we may build this surface installation ourselves at DW3. :)

@gooddoc

I read your opinion and respect it, but I don't share it. It is obvious that the organizers could not force to comply with the times and steps established in the route simply because by incorporating the game console players technically can not. If there were only PC players in the game, these steps could be verified through applications by uploading the logs to EDSM or with Dr. Kaii's application but as is known, console players cannot make use of these applications so it is impossible to verify this.

In any case an expedition of this type is known beforehand what we face. I reiterate that the organizers were responsible for communicating all this. They knew the distance to BP, the distance between stages to be completed, the type of minimum jump, and so on. All this is known BEFORE registering so it is no excuse now to say that one does not have time or capacity to jump ship or what one invents to say that now can not comply with the steps and times of the expedition.

It's as if a cycling team registers for the Tour de France and then says: oh **** ! I won't have the time or strength to complete all the stages, ok I do only the last one and I already meet the requirements.

Sorry but no, it is not the same to do an expedition of this kind in one way or another and I consider that to ask for that comparison is a contempt for the enormous work of the organizers who have dedicated their time of play (just as valuable as that of the others) to offer us to all those stages, those roles and everything that entails the organization of this event.

Finally, and this is my opinion of course, I think that if one is really honest and for whatever reasons (all very honorable, of course) one has not been able to accomplish all the objectives of the expedition, one should not consider that the expedition has ended.

It's not fair either to the organizers or to himself.

Does anyone remember the surface map of the Beagle Point destination moon in DW1 ?
I can't find a copy of it anywhere, and would like to visit a couple of the craters which I named in honour of my dogs Holly and Ben. Now no longer with us.

Just out of curiosity, why the changes to the last half of the expedition?
Erimus already answered this, but I'd like to add something: the latter parts of the expedition being more focused on mapping (so, less on sightseeing and more on exploration) were pretty much a necessity, as there were quite few GMP POIs to choose from. Little wonder, since most explorer traffic went straight to Beagle Point. I don't envy the organizers when they had to pick, there wasn't a lot to choose from.

Finally, and this is my opinion of course, I think that if one is really honest and for whatever reasons (all very honorable, of course) one has not been able to accomplish all the objectives of the expedition, one should not consider that the expedition has ended.
You seem to like going off about the "right" and "correct" way, but at least you recognize that that's just your own opinion - which does contradict the rules of this expedition. You're basically saying that the expedition's rules are wrong, and that people who can't prove that they've visited each and every waypoint on time should "fail" the expedition: that would be called a race. You're free to organize a racing expedition you'd consider right and correct yourself, of course, but this isn't it.

[FD shooting down the proposal to build at Beagle Point]Why FDev would do that?They should absorb some ideas from the explorers, after all, a good percentage is enjoying exploring although it's not evolved as promised...
Because not everyone wants things to be built on the far side of the galaxy, and apparently, FD shared this view now.

You seem to like going off about the "right" and "correct" way, but at least you recognize that that's just your own opinion - which does contradict the rules of this expedition. You're basically saying that the expedition's rules are wrong, and that people who can't prove that they've visited each and every waypoint on time should "fail" the expedition: that would be called a race. You're free to organize a racing expedition you'd consider right and correct yourself, of course, but this isn't it.
No, I'm sorry if I was able to express myself badly and you could understand that I recriminate the rules because that is not my opinion and I make it clear that from the beginning the organizers have made it clear that it was an expedition by stages (in plural) expedition to get to BP and not just to get to BP.

I'm not saying that the rules are incorrect because I repeat that it's impossible for the organizers to check these data. What I do say is that, honestly and for whatever reasons, a person cannot say: eh, I have done the DW2 without going through all the points of the route. Let alone claim that right.

And I reiterate that of course it is my opinion and I do not reproach the organizers at all, on the contrary, I have always praised their work so, the last part of your message in which you remind me of my freedom to create my own route and thus be able to criticize it is too much and it goes straight into desiring a confrontation in which I am not willing to participate.

That is why I stop here to give my opinion on this and unless I am summoned to express the reason for my doing so, I leave it here to avoid such confrontations.

Top Bottom