Credits are too easy now.

The funny part is how so many experienced long term players get the "I absolutely need a big ship!" out of their systems in the infancy of their careers and then spend crazy amounts of time in small/medium ships. I never even bothered getting enough rank to get into a Cutter or a Corvette, and my time in an Annie was mostly just to go on an expedition to Beagle Point.
I think for some people (me included) you need to get into those big ships to realise they aren't the best. I got my trade Elite in a Cobra MkIII, Combat Elite in a Python and although I got Exploration Elite in a high jump range Conda I used it to get where I wanted to go quickly rather than for it's size.

I try to use all the ships, or find a use for them. I thought of you the other day when idly looking through the available ships at a local high-tech and bought a Gunship & fitted it with all frags. The frags were a bit useless in my hands (I prefer long range weapons) but the ship was nice to fly and it's 8th hardpoint was fun ;) It's found a home in my collection of CZ ships where the Alliance ships didn't, not sure what weapons I'm going to fit it with for longer range yet, I usually default to a long range thermal conduit fixed beam (feels like fighting with a light sabre rather than a gun) and it doesn't have a name yet either.

I'm only doing it because I can easily afford it, credits and mats. I prefer to try stuff for myself rather than following guides and it's less important that I don't waste resources going up blind alleys than it used to be.

Maybe i'm a little bit different, but i thought it was always part of the experience to learn about a new ship, decide you want to give it a go, and then go and make the credits to do it.

The design teams war against stacking was so senseless. I remember having a blast doing medium range delivery stacking to earn enough for my first python. Credits actually had a point and ships had value.

Yeah must be that the only point in the game is shooting apparently.

When i first started, the game was balanced so you tried every ship in the game because that was all you afford.* Speechless at whatever it is now. Back in those days, reddit actually used to speak instead of just screenshot and swoon. Noobs and their anaconda posts used to get flooded with responses of "its not all about ships", etc etc. No idea.

*And from this you learnt that every ship has a unique charm and its own place in the stable. Really they do. Even the hauler was a taxi before they turned that off. The adder was an amazing missile boat you could explode your way home with before they turned that off. The type 6, one of dumbest ships in the game was the only transport you could afford, even for that brief period to a type 7 (i mean asp).

Last edited:
I think for some people (me included) you need to get into those big ships to realise they aren't the best. I got my trade Elite in a Cobra MkIII, Combat Elite in a Python and although I got Exploration Elite in a high jump range Conda I used it to get where I wanted to go quickly rather than for it's size.

I try to use all the ships, or find a use for them. I thought of you the other day when idly looking through the available ships at a local high-tech and bought a Gunship & fitted it with all frags. The frags were a bit useless in my hands (I prefer long range weapons) but the ship was nice to fly and it's 8th hardpoint was fun ;) It's found a home in my collection of CZ ships where the Alliance ships didn't, not sure what weapons I'm going to fit it with for longer range yet, I usually default to a long range thermal conduit fixed beam (feels like fighting with a light sabre rather than a gun) and it doesn't have a name yet either.

I'm only doing it because I can easily afford it, credits and mats. I prefer to try stuff for myself rather than following guides and it's less important that I don't waste resources going up blind alleys than it used to be.
Go with 2 long-range small beams, and fill the other 5 hard points with Imperial Hammers. That should give you all the range you might ever want.

As for a name, how about: Abeloth?

Go with 2 long-range small beams, and fill the other 5 hard points with Imperial Hammers. That should give you all the range you might ever want.

As for a name, how about: Abeloth?
No powerplay toys for me, I have never pledged and probably never will. I like rails in small hardpoints though, and the thermal conduit takes care of the heat issues so I'll give that a go, thanks for the suggestion.

I name ships by using them for a while until some appropriate word comes to mind. My CZ Python is called 'Thug', I have a CZ FDL (c4 fixed beam & 4x short range multis, bi-weave+3x shield boosters) called 'Velcro', a Clipper called 'Thingy', The Gunship needs an evocative name. 'Bringer of Chaos' has a ring to it ;)

I feel like people are able to do too many donation missions and thus have undue influence over the BGS with minimal effort
Relying solely on donation missions is a surefire way to fail at the BGS.

Relying solely on donation missions is a surefire way to fail at the BGS.
But they're pretty goddamned useful for Fed / Imp rank missions though.
Gives you at least a ++ Rep without wasting time.

I love it when I see 5 or more donation missions options stacked with a superpower faction that I want to rank up with.
It's like an express elevator. If I could I would just give 500m Cr to get from zero to Rear Adm.

Well of course.
It's also obviously on purpose. Now they have already attracted all the dad's who wanted the 1980s game updated, attracted all the space sim junkies, its time to switch to the regular 100 hours crowd.

Attract regular gamers
Make them feel good
Buy some paint
When they have done their 100 hours, they move on to next hyped game of the month.
I gladly stay with the dads here. There are too many "modern" games out there...
Also not fond about how easy it is to get rich now. They kinda cranked it up by 1000% which is a bit too much for my taste and doesn't really fit the game. Not that I am much affected by that because I have enough credits already and don't really care about that number growing.

Also not fond about how easy it is to get rich now. They kinda cranked it up by 1000% which is a bit too much for my taste and doesn't really fit the game. Not that I am much affected by that because I have enough credits already and don't really care about that number growing.
It's almost always the players who already have billions who are the ones to say that they don't like how easy it is to get rich.....

I wonder why?
Just because some of you had to slog for it, and don't like, or are jealous that the newer players have an easier time than you?

It's almost always the players who already have billions who are the ones to say that they don't like how easy it is to get rich.....

I wonder why?
Just because some of you had to slog for it, and don't like, or are jealous that the newer players have an easier time than you?
Not exactly.. its more of the following:

• The whole point is dumb because there's nothing to do with credits apart from a number that looks pleasant to you.
  • The game felt better when you actually had a need for credits and had to go out and play for them rather than credits being trivialised into nothing. The mission board is pointless now. Trading is pointless now. Combat is nothing but a pure rep grind. It just felt better. I think this is the main troubling thing.
  • Its just odd to see people making a big deal about something that has obviously been cut down to rubbish. The thing that was interesting isn't there anymore.
The most practical way to think about credits in the past was their own gameplay pillar. You kinda need them, and there is always a current patch "exploit" to go make them quicker than any other thing in the game. Stopping what you were doing and doing this is kinda a sandbox pillar. They just kept raising this for complaints i honestly never heard and never rebalanced the ship costs to match.

Last edited:
If you are earning too many credits mining, go and do AX instead!

That activity can run at a significant loss!

So it all balances out really.
No, actually it just confirms that risk and reward is completely broken in ED. It is completely illogical and not fun for anyone, that wants to do AX combat. Because you are forced to do something else so you are able to afford the battles. You would also expect Thargoid kills to be extremely well rewarded, especially in system under attack.

Last edited:
Haha, yeah indeed.... The income curve across different activities is wrecked as usual.
Seems they gave up their attempts to balance anything after realizing they don't have what it takes. Or don't care. Or both.

So the MO of the day remains the same it ever was :
  • if you need/want to focus on Credits, go with the flow and do what everyone does
  • if your focus is elsewhere and you got enough Credits, then do whatever you prefer
  • return to step 1 anytime when needed

An easy fix would be to icnrease rebuy for ship destruction for engineered ships. For every G5 engineered module you pay 100% of its price in credits upon destruction (that's still less than the total value of your materials as they are worth much more). For each grade you pay 20% of the module on top capping at 100%. So a fully G5 engineered Anaconda for example could very well cost you 800M credits for a rebuy if you fully G5 engineer it and still manage to lose it.
The result would be risk to be reintroduced into the game and a valid credit sink that requires you to mine void opals for a couple of hours if you lose a big boy. Ofcourse, if you lose a smaller ship, let's say a Viper MK III, you are not really concerned as they rarely cost you more than 3M.

I just did a test. I went from new account to Elite billionaire in 12 hours. I had to figure it out as I went, and I made a few mistakes. I reckon now that I know how do do it and without the RNG gods conspiring against me, I might be able to do it in 9 hours. I can remember when it didn't matter whether you went for combat, trade or exploration, the quickest you could do it was about a month of playing all your spare time. After that, people discovered clever unintended ways of shortening that, but I only used normal intended gameplay. Why did they make it so easy now? It seems a bit too easy to me. Is it because new essential gameplay is coming where you need massive amount of credits to participate?
Agreed. It's a mess imo as it makes it impossible to balance the game around credits as not everyone hammers the current meta so forces the use of alt currencies which in any logical universe should be purchasable with credits (iron ,sulphur etc) .
Also makes any of the starter ships including the iconic cobra pointless as you can just skip them all. That cat is out of the bag now, so unless 2020 brings a new game starting from scratch or some form of economy collapse like Germany in the 1920s then the only way (other than a new currency) is to bring in missions etc which need use of a supplied ship. Can't think of any other way to give relevance to other ships (why fly eagle when you can have a better in every way vulture for instance?)

Not exactly.. its more of the following:

• The whole point is dumb because there's nothing to do with credits apart from a number that looks pleasant to you.
  • The game felt better when you actually had a need for credits and had to go out and play for them rather than credits being trivialised into nothing. The mission board is pointless now. Trading is pointless now. Combat is nothing but a pure rep grind. It just felt better. I think this is the main troubling thing.
  • Its just odd to see people making a big deal about something that has obviously been cut down to rubbish. The thing that was interesting isn't there anymore.
The most practical way to think about credits in the past was their own gameplay pillar. You kinda need them, and there is always a current patch "exploit" to go make them quicker than any other thing in the game. Stopping what you were doing and doing this is kinda a sandbox pillar. They just kept raising this for complaints i honestly never heard and never rebalanced the ship costs to match.
No I think art imitates life, as much as life imitates art.

Wouldn't you want to have a billion bucks in your bank account?
You sure as hell won't need a billion bucks. But it would be nice to have, because you wouldn't have to worry about affording anything in life ever again.

What you do with that money.... squander it, do evil with it, do good with it, it's all up to you. But for sure, you can do whatever you want.

In ED, it simply means, you can have any ship in the game. You can PVP and not worry about losing ship after ship after ship.
You can decide to take any mission you want, just for the hell of it, without worrying about the risks or consequences.

This corresponds to the mentality of our time. Everything and immediately.

But is the satisfaction so intense ?
Art imitates life, just as life imitates art.

Top Bottom