Combat Needs a Buff

You can pop an elite Anaconda in a starter Sidewinder, with a little help from other NPCs. You need spend cash, energy, and experience building a suitable mining ship to get high profits from extraction.

You have to work at it to get to the stage of earning tens/hundreds of millions of credits from void opals. Killing an Anaconda isn't totally trivial, granted, but it can be easily done, or even a fluke, a matter of it flying into an asteroid after taking a couple of hits from your borrowed lasers, or getting hits in while system security gang up on it.

10M credits for an Anaconda would be a quick way to completely skip over the early game, arguably the most exciting part of Elite, and the only stage where the credits actually matter a lot.

Last edited:
Nah... I'm playing the game and not earning moneys. I like pew-pew and launching my ships. The money I have is enough for modules, fuel and ammo.
First (and last) time I have mined about 100t of void opals to get reactive surface composite armour for new cutter. Was frustrated about pricing(One day sold for >1MCr, another day ~600KCr). Eventually to buy the armor I've sold couple of not used ships.

There is a big disbalance in payouts between pirates and CZ nps . The latter are sometimes absurdly hard to kill and hardly yield more than 200k (that'd be a lot already), while conda and FC pirates often reach around 300k with kill warrant scan in paper alloy battleships.

You can stack pirate assassination missions and they will be suicidal enough to jump into your instance for easy farming, or you can waste time in a CZ which only seems worth it for unlocking engineers.

It seems to me that FD made the NPCs stronger without adjusting the payouts.

There is a big disbalance in payouts between pirates and CZ nps . The latter are sometimes absurdly hard to kill
The difference is their purpose. They do not need hatch breaker limpets and cargo racks to fight a war. They have hrp and mrp instead.

You can stack pirate assassination missions and they will be suicidal enough to jump into your instance for easy farming, or you can waste time in a CZ which only seems worth it for unlocking engineers.

No pirate will drop polymer capacitors. If you know what I mean.

Edit:
absurdly hard to kill
I believe this is exactly how NPCs feel engineered human ships.
Once when I did wet job mission in FGS I managed to kill corvette which is a system security vessel at the same time swarm of its friends arrived and attacked me. 19% of hull remained, mission completed.

Last edited:
There is a big disbalance in payouts between pirates and CZ nps . The latter are sometimes absurdly hard to kill and hardly yield more than 200k (that'd be a lot already), while conda and FC pirates often reach around 300k with kill warrant scan in paper alloy battleships.

The other side of the coin is that it's easier to find CZ NPCs than pirates. You just go to the zone and they come to you - in a res site, if you see a pip drop in you have to check it out before you can find out if it's someone worth shooting or not. The extra backup buddies the CZ provides for you aren't too shabby either.

You can make way more than enough credits for anything that needs credits through combat.

CZ's are for determining which faction wins a war. They don't need to pay more because the primary motivation to fight in them is not credits, it's victory for your allies or defeat for your enemies.

You can make way more than enough credits for anything that needs credits through combat.

CZ's are for determining which faction wins a war. They don't need to pay more because the primary motivation to fight in them is not credits, it's victory for your allies or defeat for your enemies.
That too. If you want to make money from CZs, that's what massacre missions are for. CZ eagles pop in a huge beam like any other eagles and when your effective reward is based on number of kills rather than the size of the bond, why chase the tough targets? Only reason to take down a CZ conda is to stop it shooting your own side's NPCs.

it's victory for your allies or defeat for your enemies.
It would be nice if having allies and enemies actually meant more than getting better missions. I'm mostly a solo player. That part of the game has a lot of potential, but it's currently just wasted potential.

Credits are easy to come by, just not through combat. If you think of CZs as a place to gather mats (a separate currency from credits) and build rep, then sure they are fine. You could count mining and exploration as having been reworked to be highly profitable, though, and wonder why such an adjustment hasn't been made to CZs. The risk/reward ratio is actually inverted to what one would expect, and I believe that OP is complaining that he's paying more into combat than he's getting out of it as a result of that.
That said, if I were a player who hasn't accumulated a lot of credits yet but needs mats from CZs and can't afford a few rebuys, I could see where OP is coming from.

@Lestat This is my build. I'm not going for Void Opals, like I said, I'm strip mining Low Temp Diamonds in a tripple hotspot. https://s.orbis.zone/43ct

I feel like a lot of you guys have forgotten what beginning game is like, or at least don't know what its like in the current state of ED. Some of you complained that buffing combat would enable you to skip the beginning phases. A legitimate complaint. But if you think the changes to combat that I suggested are bad, you HAVE to acknowledge that mining in its current state is even worse. Void Opals are nearly 2M a piece. A mining Adder has enough hardpoints for all the required tools and can carry 8T of VO with shields, a DSS, and 2 collector limpets. 8T of VO is nearly 16M! For that much, you can buy a Mining ASPX, and in one more trip, you'll have enough for a mining Python, which for many people is the endgame for mining. If you're going to say that Combat doesn't need a buff, than mining needs a huge nerf. Because Mining is NOT hard. Anyone who has access to YouTube or can ask for a good hotspot location on the forum can do it with ease. Pirates are not a problem because you can just wait for them to scan your empty cargo hold and leave, and then you're safe as long as you stay in that instance. Pirates in SC are not a problem because in most ships, its easy to dodge interdictions, and if you do get interdicted in something like a T9, just submit and then wake. Anyone who knows what they're doing is in no danger when mining.

The payouts in CZs are almost exactly the same as the ones in a res. You would be lucky if destroying the Spec Ops wing got you over 200K, and the Spec Ops wing is legit hard.

And look, you certainly "COULD" make a lot of money through combat, enough to pay for your 900M Combat Conda even. But it would take SOOOO long. Mining could do it for you in 3 hours. If you don't see that as an imbalance there's nothing I can tell you.

In short, if you're not going to buff Combat, nerf mining.

Pledge to Hudson.
I'm already pledged to the Emperor, ty.

So, now you can do boring mining to get a lot of money OR have fun pew-pew and get less money.
I think this is cool to have a choice. Let's keep them both.
That's a retarded choice. Less Fun = More Money? What foolishness. This is a GAME guys! Its not real life.

And its not an accurate choice either, because not everyone thinks mining is boring, a lot of people really love mining, and they should be able to keep mining if they think its fun without suffering. Remember before mining got overhauled how horribly it paid? And how everyone wanted a buff? Ye, I don't see why people are resisting this so strongly now.

The same argument can also be made for bounty hunting and how it affects system security though.

"They don't need to pay more because the primary motivation to fight pirates is not credits, it's ramping up system security for long term economic prosperity."

Similar arguments can be made for trading and mission running to affect economic states and to alter influence values. Considering how pretty much everything affects the BGS, the BGS shouldn't be used as an excuse for certain activities being useless in terms of personal gain.

@Lestat This is my build. I'm not going for Void Opals, like I said, I'm strip mining Low Temp Diamonds in a tripple hotspot. https://s.orbis.zone/43ct

I feel like a lot of you guys have forgotten what beginning game is like, or at least don't know what its like in the current state of ED. Some of you complained that buffing combat would enable you to skip the beginning phases. A legitimate complaint. But if you think the changes to combat that I suggested are bad, you HAVE to acknowledge that mining in its current state is even worse. Void Opals are nearly 2M a piece. A mining Adder has enough hardpoints for all the required tools and can carry 8T of VO with shields, a DSS, and 2 collector limpets. 8T of VO is nearly 16M! For that much, you can buy a Mining ASPX, and in one more trip, you'll have enough for a mining Python, which for many people is the endgame for mining. If you're going to say that Combat doesn't need a buff, than mining needs a huge nerf. Because Mining is NOT hard. Anyone who has access to YouTube or can ask for a good hotspot location on the forum can do it with ease. Pirates are not a problem because you can just wait for them to scan your empty cargo hold and leave, and then you're safe as long as you stay in that instance. Pirates in SC are not a problem because in most ships, its easy to dodge interdictions, and if you do get interdicted in something like a T9, just submit and then wake. Anyone who knows what they're doing is in no danger when mining.

The payouts in CZs are almost exactly the same as the ones in a res. You would be lucky if destroying the Spec Ops wing got you over 200K, and the Spec Ops wing is legit hard.

And look, you certainly "COULD" make a lot of money through combat, enough to pay for your 900M Combat Conda even. But it would take SOOOO long. Mining could do it for you in 3 hours. If you don't see that as an imbalance there's nothing I can tell you.

In short, if you're not going to buff Combat, nerf mining.
I would rather have it closer to what it was before the Mining or Exploration Buff. It all took time and effort. I could stay out Exploration for months at a time or Mine for months. For the people who think mining or Exploration is dull, then it not your cup of tea. It depends on the player.

Considering how pretty much everything affects the BGS, the BGS shouldn't be used as an excuse for certain activities being useless in terms of personal gain.
Virtually none of them are useless in terms of personal gain though...some are just absurdly profitable. If everything was brought down to be in line with combat bond payouts, credits would still be too easy to get.

Some activites also logically pay less than others, and these tend to more rapidly influence the BGS. Murdering police forces, for example.

Combat does not need a financial 'buff'. Actually, other parts of the game - probably including combat - need a de-buff (reduction in payments). At the same time, various in-game items need a price increase - particularly ship costs. A few hundred thousand for a Cobra MKIII is ridiculous - it needs to be in the millions.

Mining, Void Opals and the like need to be made a lot harder to find. Millions an hour needs to end, never mind buffing payouts...

And while you're at it, Frontier, increase maintenance costs, refuelling costs and re-painting, etc. - they're ridiculously low. 10 credits to repaint a hull; a few thousand for rearming missiles, etc. Honestly, the pricing of various things in the game are completely unbalanced, and out of touch with what the reality of the situation would probably be!

Top Bottom