Combat Needs a Buff

What is the best way to make money in Elite Dangerous?

Ask anyone who's been playing the game for a while and they will tell you the ONLY way to make real money is by mining.

Take a mining 90M Mining Python into an LTD Hotspot and you will make 100M in a half an hour.

Meanwhile you can take a 200M Combat Python into a res and what do you make in half an hour? 5M, tops, usually much less than that. See the imbalance?

I'm sure somebody has said this before, but I'm going to say it again here anyways, because it can't be said enough. It makes no sense that the single most risky profession in Elite Dangerous is simultaneously the worst paying of all of them. At this point, even exploration pays better. Combat payouts need a buff across all areas, bounty and bond payouts should be much higher, I'm talking like ten times higher, at least. 300K for popping an Elite Anaconda is not enough. When faced with the ridiculous money that Void Opals will get you, 3-10M for an Elite 'Conda honestly doesn't seem that unreasonable. Combat missions need a buff as well. Currently destroying 60 ships might net you 20M, tops. Do you have any idea how long it takes to hunt down and destroy 60 ships? Unacceptable. For the time invested, it ought to be at least 100M. This paired with the payout from all those bonds/bounties ought to make combat much more worthwhile. And though I've never done AX activities before, for all the asinine grinding that's involved in unlocking Guardian tech, the payouts do not seem worth it at all.

Honestly, every non-mining activity in ED needs a buff to keep up with how ridiculous the numbers have gotten with the Gold Rush update. But I feel combat needs it most of all because its really a very dangerous profession. But, it is also, in my opinion, the most fun. Which is why its so bothersome for me that in order to supplement the virtual lifestyle that I, personally, enjoy, I need to engage in an activity that I do not enjoy - Mining. In order to do the things I want to do, I need to do something I don't want to do. Its like... real life... ugh. I really hope this gets looked at and fixed soon, if I'm forced to keep mining much longer, my eyes will fall out of my head!

While I agree that the numbers in some of the combat missions are absurd, I don't see how the rest is an issue.
If you want to make credits, you go mining.
Reputation? Trading and combat.
Exploring? Exploration.
If you're doing combat missions to make credits instead of just enjoying the combat then it's like complaining about having a low exploration level from station trading in the bubble.

All professions, and all playstyles should be equal. If I don't like mining I shouldn't have to mine. The game should not force me to do things I don't enjoy.

You suggest that Combat shouldn't be a way to make money, that it should instead be limited to gaining reputation. Why? Why on earth would you say that? That makes no sense at all.

Hum that kind of low on mining I AVG 300 Million per Python load
I'd imagine that it depends on builds and also how much time you spend in an LTD hotspot. Takes me half an hour to make 100-150M.

I don't want to say it but you're probably right that mining should be nerfed. That's too much money too fast. Combat I think though is definitely not enough. At the current rate at which you earn money doing missions and cashing in bonds, a combat ship (some of which are close to a billion credits (!)) will never pay for itself.

All professions, and all playstyles should be equal.
I don't see how a hold full of void opals should be the same value as a number of combat vouchers.

You suggest that Combat shouldn't be a way to make money, that it should instead be limited to gaining reputation.
I never said that. I stated the main usage of different professions.

The game should not force me to do things I don't enjoy.
Not really forcing you to do anything unless you're trying to get rep to unlock things.

I don't see how a hold full of void opals should be the same value as a number of combat vouchers.
If anything it should be more. Combat is much higher risk than mining. Higher risk SHOULD = Higher reward in a balanced game.

I never said that. I stated the main usage of different professions.
There should be no "main usage" for different professions. All professions ought to be a different means to the same ends. This is a part of the "Plot your course" gameplay of Elite. Sure, you never "said" that, but you suggested it when you said combat was for "rep" and mining was for "credits". And can I also add that its a moot point anyways, because mining gets you "rep" too?

I'd imagine that it depends on builds and also how much time you spend in an LTD hotspot. Takes me half an hour to make 100-150M.

I don't want to say it but you're probably right that mining should be nerfed. That's too much money too fast. Combat I think though is definitely not enough. At the current rate at which you earn money doing missions and cashing in bonds, a combat ship (some of which are close to a billion credits (!)) will never pay for itself.
What was your python build. Mine was basic. 226 cargo slots 2 Collectors and 2 Prospectors and whatever needed to do void Opal. 1 Abrasive blasters two seismic charges launchers. This was before the last buff slot buff. I could add another Collector or made it two more cargo slots.

I started on a new Account from a sidewinder to an Anaconda and made Elite Trader in less than 10 or so hours. The first hour was getting that Cobra MKIII then after two trade runs I had the funds for a mining python with the build listed above a few other Mining runs I was an Elite Trader.

That why I said nerf Mining closer to Exploration and boosts Combat payouts.

Remember in certain areas Void Opal was worth 1,650,000 credits each. One full Run for me would be 372,900,000 credits. (Note I never did a full run. But avg 300,000,000 credits).

Last edited:
Combat is much higher risk than mining. Higher risk SHOULD = Higher reward in a balanced game.
On the other hand, most mining ships aren't armed for combat and carry high value cargo.

There should be no "main usage" for different professions. All professions ought to be a different means to the same ends.
They can be, but some do a better job than others.
Like I said, you don't primarily build up exploration by trading in the bubble.

On the other hand, most mining ships aren't armed for combat and carry high value cargo.
They can be Hull tanks. Just using the basic Armour and high wake.

They can be, but some do a better job than others.
Like I said, you don't primarily build up exploration by trading in the bubble.
Then, I challenge you. Wait for a Frontier sale and buy a secondary account and do what I did on mining but in combat. So can you do Elite in Combat in less than 10 to 12 hours?

They can be Hull tanks. Just using the basic Armour and high wake.
They can do lots of things but if they're a dedicated miner, it's hardly armed.

Then, I challenge you. Wait for a Frontier sale and buy a secondary account and do what I did on mining but in combat. So can you do Elite in Combat in less than 10 to 12 hours?
So one grind replaced with another? Thought this was about doing things a pilot wants to do, not all about the credits.

After all, Is the credit worth the distance? When you fly to a system or do a mission. If not, ask your self this. What is the problem of discarding a mission or skipping a system if the location is too far?

They can do lots of things but if they're a dedicated miner, it's hardly armed.
Here the thing. I played a while. Having a low combat rank. Maybe Harmless or above Harmless. You don't get attack much and high waking is easy. With two Cobra runs you are still low on the Trade rank so you don't have to worry about defence. First Python build you don't get any risk really and if you think ahead as I did you replace a few things. Maybe sell a few of the cargo for the best hull armour at the location. Replace the Refinery for a fuel scoop and replace the hardpoint with weapons. On the way back you make a really good Hull tank with weapons with the same amount of cargo space as a mining ship. So you Mine and travel using two Different ships.

So one grind replaced with another? Thought this was about doing things a pilot wants to do, not all about the credits.
So you are saying you are unwilling to take my challenge to make Elite Combat in less than a day?

After all, Is the credit worth the distance? When you fly to a system or do a mission. If not, ask your self this. What is the problem of discarding a mission or skipping a system if the location is too far?
That for the player to decide and some like to complain because they think it too far. They want an easy mode.

So you Mine and travel using two Different ships.
Yes, and dedicated mining ships are still lightly/not armed.

So you are saying you are unwilling to take my challenge to make Elite Combat in less than a day?
This is your thread about wanting a buff for combat credits. Your challenge doesn't really make sense in this.

That for the player to decide and some like to complain because they think it too far. They want an easy mode.
It's your sig. Easy mode would be one direction, all directions.

Like I said at the start, some of the combat target numbers are too high (unless you're talking about what's supposed to be done in a wing). If you're into combat purely for profit, single targets of pirates, terrorists etc is the way to go.
Reward to low? Don't take the mission. There are a decent amount of well paying combat contracts out there.

This is your thread about wanting a buff for combat credits. Your challenge doesn't really make sense in this.
What I want you to do is start a new account and make Elite combat in less than a day. Starting from Harmless to Elite. It will take longer than Trading which I did in a day. A week in Exploration. Oh, and do it in solo. Like I did on Mining and trading.

Ideally yes, combat should be high risk/high yield activity. You should win big, but also risk losing big. However, the earnings have become so messed up that I couldn't know how to begin to untangle them. These days I'm content with "after a while, money doesn't matter so do what you want" style of play.

All professions, and all playstyles should be equal. If I don't like mining I shouldn't have to mine. The game should not force me to do things I don't enjoy.

You suggest that Combat shouldn't be a way to make money, that it should instead be limited to gaining reputation. Why? Why on earth would you say that? That makes no sense at all.
Just like real life, where firemen, soldiers, and school teachers make as much money as American football players and movie stars.

All professions, and all playstyles should be equal.
That sounds nice in theory, but the only way to do it in practice would be:
- no profession pays anything
- you get X million credits per hour you're logged in and not docked at a station regardless of what you're doing

Once you get into making the professions pay money the game just isn't set up for them to be "equal".

If you're trading, the size of your ship and the trade route you're using makes a big difference. If you're exploring, you can make top money just as easily in a Sidewinder as in any other ship. Combat and mining are somewhat in the middle - medium ships are better than small ones, but large ships aren't much better than medium ones.

So, are trade and exploration made "equal" for:
- a top player doing everything they possibly can to maximise their earnings: if so, trade is going to pay considerably less than exploration for everyone other than T-9/Cutter pilots on a top trade route
- an average player doing normal stuff just trying to make some money: if so trade is going to rapidly outpace exploration once you get to the bigger ships

Same with any other pair of professions: they may well be equal for a player of particular skill and budget, but they can't then be equal for another player of different skill and budget.

You're talking about RES combat - which is on the easy side of combat options. Combat Zones and wartime combat missions pay considerably higher, if set up right. Wing assassination missions pay out a few million per kill. They're also tougher - that risk/reward thing - whereas a RES is basically risk-free in a high-end combat ship and pays accordingly. The toughest NPC fights are the Thargoid Interceptors - they certainly should get a big payout boost, but if those are the ones that are matching Mining for income, the RES fights are going to pay very little.

Top Bottom