Casual player - what can bring me back?

I've not played ED for more than a year now. I think I just ran out of stuff to do, I didn't understand the trading system, and I'm crap at combat in my Eagle :)
Has anything changed that could entice me back?

I've not played ED for more than a year now. I think I just ran out of stuff to do, I didn't understand the trading system, and I'm crap at combat in my Eagle :)
The 4/23 update is bringing new features to trading that should make it easier to learn. Also, there's a host of other flight aids aimed at helping new players in that same update.

Depends on what kinda of casual you are looking for. I'm switching to casual mode myself, due to the demands of real life. For me this means focusing mostly on exploration, which I can do at a relaxing pace a few systems a night. It also means I'll be playing more of other games like Overwatch built around 20-40 minute matches. I'll definitely NOT be doing any more BGS work or anything that requires dedication in ED, not until next winter.

I'm hoping the new CG system will let me participate without having to dedicate tons of time and energy. I don't need to be in the top 10%, I'd just like to contribute a bit if the goals are actually interesting.

Depends on what kinda of casual you are looking for. I'm switching to casual mode myself, due to the demands of real life. For me this means focusing mostly on exploration, which I can do at a relaxing pace a few systems a night. It also means I'll be playing more of other games like Overwatch built around 20-40 minute matches. I'll definitely NOT be doing any more BGS work or anything that requires dedication in ED, not until next winter.

I'm hoping the new CG system will let me participate without having to dedicate tons of time and energy. I don't need to be in the top 10%, I'd just like to contribute a bit if the goals are actually interesting.
I keep threatening to build myself an explorer from a Cobra IV and go out to fund my (must have) Cutter build. But never have the time. I was wondering, how far do you have to travel, to make a billion credits?

I keep threatening to build myself an explorer from a Cobra IV and go out to fund my (must have) Cutter build. But never have the time. I was wondering, how far do you have to travel, to make a billion credits?
Exploring? Hmmm, I have no idea. My alt made Elite in exploration after 3.3 dropped and it took me by surprise (whereas Duck really worked hard for it). It's not so much how far you go but rather what you scan. I'm guessing if you don't have time to make a billion mining VOs, then you're not going to have time to make it exploring, either.

Not that far, maybe a few kylies so you find lots of undiscovered bodies to scan & map.

There is always somewhere new to explore, even within the Bubble actually. Tons of pretty pictures to take. If you don't want to explore you can find some quiet corner of the Bubble to influence BGS to promote a faction. I expanded a handful of favorite factions in an area entirely through PVE missions until a new clan horned in on my corner of the Bubble. There are new ships to try. You can do ground/base assault missions. Etc etc etc

tbh, Elite has changed a lot. Depending on exactly how long it's been since you played, it might well be worth just clearing the save, running the training scenarios to get up to speed, and start over from new.
There's changes next week, as people have said, including a whole new revamped replacement for CGs, and of course there's the Thargoid war...

I have been lead to believe, that with the new 'discovery mode'; things take longer to deal with. Is that correct?
Detail scanning a body will take longer than before. But Cr/hour, new system is faster because mapped bodies pay so much better, and even FSS -scanned bodies pay as much as detail scanned in the old system.
Getting a full system overview takes longer because you need to FSS all the bodies for that, but cherry picking the valuable ones is just as easy, if not even easier than before.

Detail scanning a body will take longer than before. But Cr/hour, new system is faster because mapped bodies pay so much better, and even FSS -scanned bodies pay as much as detail scanned in the old system.
Getting a full system overview takes longer because you need to FSS all the bodies for that, but cherry picking the valuable ones is just as easy, if not even easier than before.
Thanks.

Stack pirate massacre wing missions, it's how I made my first billion, and I've only been playing since January.

Eagle is actually an end-game ship, very non-casual. You would have to have a very good idea what sort of thing you are going to do with it. Probably railguns. Silent running? Mines with experimental effects? Fixed powerplay specific multicannons with corrosive effect? Lots of engineering and material gathering. It's a very weird game when you think about it.