Call me crazy...

The way I get around sound is space is this; Our ships have sensors (such as RADAR, thermal pickups, radio, and so on), but we mere humans cannot 'see' these, so the various ship (and equipment) manufacturers have designed ways for the sensors to present their data in clear, simple ways for us to understand. If, for example, an Asp Explorer approaches me my ship will (using accurate audio placement and audio effects) inform me where that Asp Explorer is coming from (and, by the distinctive 'engine noise', what type of ship it is). When we are in Super Cruise (and, therefore, travelling faster than light) our ships visually shows us where the astronomical objects are by detecting them via graviton particles and then translating that information into optical frequencies our eyes can pick up (and, if we are close enough, audio frequencies our ears can hear).

This already exists (slightly) in Real Life. You and I cannot see Infra Red light. However, if you use a decent digital camera (the one on a typical smart phone will do), line up a remote control on the lens (while you are looking at the camera screen) and then press a button on the remote control, you will see a flashing purplish light. This is the IR led, translated into light frequencies humans can see by the technology of the camera.

Last edited:
All the sounds are produced by the ship to provide a frame of reference for the commander, who as a human subconsciously relies on audio cues (unless they're deaf, and then this doesn't matter anyway). Dead silence is not conducive to high-level situational awareness.

How do you know it's the wind? Maybe it's the cosmic background radiation being distorted as it passes through your ship's Alcubierre space-time distortion. ;)

Shortly after the advent of long range travel via FSD technology a number of pilots went quite mad. Extensive studies conducted into the matter determined that the extreme audio sensory deprivation of extended deep space travel was the cause, seems some people just can't take it. As a result, the life support systems of all interstellar craft produced since then have included an audio simulation package that produces sound in the cockpit that is reminiscent of terrestial travel, something the mind can relate to and thus prevent this silence-of-space induced madness.

Top Bottom