Bridging The Gap

As I have already stated, if FDev want to pay me for consultation on what they should do they can contact me directly. When I develop something at work and it isn't of a standard acceptable to the client/user, I don't respond by asking them to do my job for me. I process their feedback and make the appropriate changes myself.
How useful would you find feedback saying you were incompetent and that the software your client hasn’t yet seen is no better than your previous work, with no suggestions as to what they wanted instead.

This is indeed a solution, but hardly an optimal one. Imagine you buy a car only to find the tracking is off, head gasket needs replaced and the exhaust has a hole in it. When you call the dealer to complain they advise that you buy another car.

Elite isn't a car.

Oh he grasps it, better than you do, which is why he specified it as an 'inappropriate analogy', which is precisely what it is.
Just because you say so, doesn't make it true. The analogy works. If you think it's about a car you have simply proved how deep your misunderstanding really is. It's really not very hard to get so I'm not going to hold your hand in explaining it to you. You either understand it or you don't. As I have already advised, the car purchase was one of hundreds of products I could have chosen. The response "but if you paid £40 for a car" again exhibits a very poor understanding.

Well noticed. Hence it being an analogy. Do you think simile works by comparing the subject matter to itself?

People on here seem quite poorly educated. This is standard grade English.
No, analogies compare concepts and ideas. You were using it to compare products, and it doesn't work, because a new car comes with a warranty, and any problems with it can and will be fixed otherwise the vehicle can and will be replaced. It's even more optimal to get a different car than it is to just play another game, because with a car, you can get your money back/get a replacement. Unless you were stupid enough to buy a car without a warranty, in which case, that's on you.

Elite, on the other hand, is a piece of software, and indeed, the guarantee is reversed - it WILL have problems, because that's the nature of software. You also don't own your game the same way you own a car. You own a software license, but you don't own the software. You never will, and hence, have no legal say in how it's operated. Your only option here is to forgo the license, and cease buying anything in relation to it. Move on, and put your money somewhere else, ie in another game.

A better analagy would be television. Don't like what you're watching? Change the channel. It really is that easy to just play another game, especially if this one is as bad as you're claiming.

No, analogies compare concepts and ideas. You were using it to compare products, and it doesn't work, because a new car comes with a warranty, and any problems with it can and will be fixed otherwise the vehicle can and will be replaced. It's even more optimal to get a different car than it is to just play another game, because with a car, you can get your money back/get a replacement. Unless you were stupid enough to buy a car without a warranty, in which case, that's on you.

Elite, on the other hand, is a piece of software, and indeed, the guarantee is reversed - it WILL have problems, because that's the nature of software. You also don't own your game the same way you own a car. You own a software license, but you don't own the software. You never will, and hence, have no legal say in how it's operated. Your only option here is to forgo the license, and cease buying anything in relation to it. Move on, and put your money somewhere else, ie in another game.

A better analagy would be television. Don't like what you're watching? Change the channel. It really is that easy to just play another game, especially if this one is as bad as you're claiming.
Again, your understanding is incorrect. I never said it won't have problems. My example was how preposterous it is to think saying "if you don't like the product you paid for don't use it" is as an excuse to not address the failings. You seem to be missing the point entirely.

Your TV analogy still proves my point. Yes, I can change the channel. But it still doesn't change the fact the programme is rubbish. Also, different channels are part of that product, so you're still using said service. What you're suggesting is if I don't like the fact the tv is on ths blink I should stop watching it entirely and have no cause to complain. Again, you haven't really understood this. The conversation is veering well off course into trying to explain a fairly simple concept to someone who refuses to understand it.

Again, your understanding is incorrect. I never said it won't have problems. My example was how preposterous it is to think saying "if you don't like the product you paid for don't use it" is as an excuse to not address the failings. You seem to be missing the point entirely.

Your TV analogy still proves my point. Yes, I can change the channel. But it still doesn't change the fact the programme is rubbish. Also, different channels are part of that product, so you're still using said service. What you're suggesting is if I don't like the fact the tv is on ths blink I should stop watching it entirely and have no cause to complain. Again, you haven't really understood this. The conversation is veering well off course into trying to explain a fairly simple concept to someone who refuses to understand it.
This thread was off course during Post 1.

After reading this thread
all I can say is I don't think I want any game Dev for any game or anyone making anything really taking advise from someone who refuses critique of their own views.

why is it the same posters who say the devs never listen to their perfect ideas are the same people who never listen to anyone that might have the gall to suggest their ideas and solutions are not perfect

Top Bottom