Bridging The Gap

Yaaay, pointless car analogy! (I'm sure that has to be on a forum bingo card somewares) You forgot about the part where you hang around in the dealership for months on end talking smack. Also the part where motor vehicles aren't being actively redesigned and added to by the makers after you buy them. Bugs in cars often don't get addressed until a bunch of people die, so FD is actually way ahead of the curve.
Because none of them are relevant to the analogy. The purpose of it was to illustrate how poor the solution is by applying it to another customer-producer relationship. I could have used many other alternatives. It seems you haven't understood something I had presumed was fairly simple to understand. Perhaps I'm partly to blame. I shouldn't make assumptions.

The fact people haven't died is hardly a mark of achievement for a video game. The game has been a continuous mess since launch and the devs have not learned how to do game mechanics. It looks pretty in places, I'll give it that.

Because none of them are relevant to the analogy. The purpose of it was to illustrate how poor the solution is by applying it to another customer-producer relationship. I could have used many other alternatives. It seems you haven't understood something I had presumed was fairly simple to understand. Perhaps I'm partly to blame. I shouldn't make assumptions.
Oh, you're clear as glass, pilot.

I like the PA response, well crafted, though it's a little too smooth in the delivery. That takes away some of the intended sting. Try slightly less condescension at the end to seem more like genuine conversation and direction; and the self-blame is always pretty obvious, usually best left out. A decent effort though, it's an 8/10, and the standards are pretty high on this forum.

You buy a car for £40-80, then a few years later they offer a free update and you complain about it before you even fit it.

You buy a car for £40-80, then a few years later they offer a free update and you complain about it before you even fit it.
Again, you don't get how this works. £40 for a car would be incredibly cheap. At least 1/100 of a normal car value. What you're actually saying is really scathing about ED, as you're saying it should be priced around 50p.

Oh, you're clear as glass, pilot.

I like the PA response, well crafted, though it's a little too smooth in the delivery. That takes away some of the intended sting. Try slightly less condescension at the end to seem more like genuine conversation and direction; and the self-blame is always pretty obvious, usually best left out. A decent effort though, it's an 8/10, and the standards are pretty high on this forum.
You seem paranoid. I pointed out the error in the understanding of the analogy. You've chosen to take a reconciliary tone as something to be confrontational about, which is a little strange.

Nonetheless, I'm right. The game mechanics are still the same old grind. I asked whether FDev are inclined or capable of doing anything different. You haven't even challenged that point. You're issue just seems to be that I made it.

Are Frontier really incapable of doing anything other than grindy, boring, repetitive gameplay? This CG (which is what it is) seems totally boring and unimaginative.
Nonetheless, I'm right. The game mechanics are still the same old grind. I asked whether FDev are inclined or capable of doing anything different. You haven't even challenged that point. You're issue just seems to be that I made it.
Let's play your game and accept for the sake of the argument that they are incompetent. What would you propose should be done with that piece of red meat you came looking for?

Last edited:
You seem paranoid. I pointed out the error in the understanding of the analogy. You've chosen to take a reconciliary tone as something to be confrontational about, which is a little strange.

The CG mechanics can't be the same old grind as you put it as currently there are no CG mechanics.

Now in the near future the replacement for CGs is coming out but nobody not working for FDev knows how similar the mechanics are or if indeed they are grindy to any but those who see everything as a grind.

As unlike you we don't have access to future releases we can't comment on them, therefore we challenge the validity of your source of information about the future and wonder what you can tell us about the next few weeks lottery numbers.

I guess the OP got nervous after hearing about guardian excavations. I hope my guess is wrong, but judging from the video it is possible that we will have to grind a lot of ancient relics to this conduit megaship. I hope that is not the case because Will said "their hope" at min 2:58:

Source: https://youtu.be/64EOTqrJOR0?t=176

We can only wait and see.

Let's play your game and accept for the sake of the argument that they are incompetent. What would you propose should be done with that piece of red meat you came looking for?
As I have already stated, if FDev want to pay me for consultation on what they should do they can contact me directly. When I develop something at work and it isn't of a standard acceptable to the client/user, I don't respond by asking them to do my job for me. I process their feedback and make the appropriate changes myself.

The CG mechanics can't be the same old grind as you put it as currently there are no CG mechanics.

Now in the near future the replacement for CGs is coming out but nobody not working for FDev knows how similar the mechanics are or if indeed they are grindy to any but those who see everything as a grind.

As unlike you we don't have access to future releases we can't comment on them, therefore we challenge the validity of your source of information about the future and wonder what you can tell us about the next few weeks lottery numbers.
I'll concede that I can't say with absolute certainty what this new variation of a CG will be like. But from the information released by FDev, I can be reasonably confident that it's going to be more repetition and grind. Could FDev surprise me? I guess so. But they won't.

As I have already stated, if FDev want to pay me for consultation on what they should do they can contact me directly. When I develop something at work and it isn't of a standard acceptable to the client/user, I don't respond by asking them to do my job for me. I process their feedback and make the appropriate changes myself.
No, thats not how this works.You can't just say: FDev I'm dissatisfied, plz fix. Besides you have provided zero examples that show you would be qualified for this job FDev should be offering you.

If you aren't going to post solutions/suggestions, your 'feedback' will likely be ignored, because it's unclear what would be satisfactory

And your example is flawed, since FDev are not contracted by you directly to deliver something. They have thousands of users, not just a single one that they have to keep happy.

It's more 'take it or leave it', not 'the customer is king'.

No, thats not how this works.You can't just say: FDev I'm dissatisfied, plz fix. Besides you have provided zero examples that show you would be qualified for this job FDev should be offering you.

If you aren't going to post solutions/suggestions, your 'feedback' will likely be ignored, because it's unclear what would be satisfactory

And your example is flawed, since FDev are not contracted by you directly to deliver something. They have thousands of users, not just a single one that they have to keep happy.

It's more 'take it or leave it', not 'the customer is king'.
I'm not sure if you're familiar with the concept of 'games as a service'. Without customers buying add-ons the entire model collapses. You should look it up.

Feedback works exactly like this. FDev develop gameplay and I feedback that it looks like more excessive grind with little challenge other than how much time one has to perform the same easy tasks repetitively. I don't need to lay out a plan or development objective for them. That's the job of their boss. If they choose to ignore my feedback that's their prerogative, but I'm still in my right to provide it. If they want to be succeed in the 'games as a service' model they need to know how to receive feedback and amend their development approach. Presently they have exhibited little inclination, ability or both to do so.

Ask someone in the industry. If you operate this model and respond to criticism with "don't play the game then" it's not going to be successful.

The mistake you're making is comparing a computer game to a car.
I'm not comparing a computer game to a car. I was comparing the relationship/interface between respective parties. I could have chosen another product - the fact it was a car is irrelevant.

With respect, I can't hold your hand in explaining how fairly fundamental tools of the English language work. It's easter sunday and I have things to do.

I hope you and your family have a nice day.

This is indeed a solution, but hardly an optimal one. Imagine you buy a car only to find the tracking is off, head gasket needs replaced and the exhaust has a hole in it. When you call the dealer to complain they advise that you buy another car.
If you wanted a car you shouldn't have gone to a shipyard.

No, you only think you're doing that, but enjoy your eggs.
You're just being silly now. These threads always descend into this kind of muddy nonsense eventually.

Thanks. I'm going on a fairy trail easter egg end with my 2 year old it should be either enjoyable or totally dreadful. Let's hope they don't make us do it over and over again, collecting little bits of Easter egg, for hour upon hour before we're finally rewarded with an egg. Cos that would get kind of boring. ;)

You're just being silly now. These threads always descend into this kind of muddy nonsense eventually.

Thanks. I'm going on a fairy trail easter egg end with my 2 year old it should be either enjoyable or totally dreadful. Let's hope they don't make us do it over and over again, collecting little bits of Easter egg, for hour upon hour before we're finally rewarded with an egg. Cos that would get kind of boring. ;)
There's a reason your threads descend so far; this one started with a whine about people making something you haven't even seen yet. Maybe the two-year-old will be more impressed with your complaints about it, so gl on egg-rabbit day.

Top Bottom