Best HMD for Elite

This thread is very interesting and I'd like to thank people that have posted. I pre-ordered the Rift S last night, but on reading this thread I have now cancelled that and am instead considering the Odyssey+ (which works out the same price delivered if I use Big Apple Buddy). I love all the specs of the Rift-S except that they've dropped the OLED - and this is the prime reason I cancelled my pre-order.

I'm going to spend this evening going through the various HMDs.

My main concern about the Odyssey+ is the tracking. It is inside out, the same as the Rift? Has anyone had problems with it?
Funny. I just ordered a Rift S to replace my Odyssey+ :p

The biggest problem with the O+ is the black smear. I can't take it any longer.
In low lit scenes, with allot of contrast, when I move my head, the whole world follows.
The darker and more contrast, the more it is apparent.
This is a problem with all OLED screens, but it is particularly bad in this one.
What is the point of great black levels when it causes awful distortions.. :confused:

The tracking is very good for Elite, as long as you keep the room well lit.
But then another problem with the headset is the poor fit. Unless you mod the headset, there will be huge gaps between the headset and your face, and with a well lit room comes allot of light bleed.

edit: lol NVM didnt check the date of your post.. Did you get the O+ btw? :D

Last edited:
But then another problem with the headset is the poor fit. Unless you mod the headset, there will be huge gaps between the headset and your face, and with a well lit room comes allot of light bleed.
Just a heads up for anyone with an Odyssey+ who still thinks this.. You can fix it for £10. It becomes the most comfy headset I've owned (DK1,DK2, Vive, Rift, Len Exp, PSVR) No light comes through the headset, even at your nose area, and you can now wear it for hours at a time .

16" cable tie straps off Ebay - £3.15 each (2x needed)
HTC Vive replacement 22mm face pad off Ebay - £3

Just a heads up for anyone with an Odyssey+ who still thinks this.. You can fix it for £10. It becomes the most comfy headset I've owned (DK1,DK2, Vive, Rift, Len Exp, PSVR) No light comes through the headset, even at your nose area, and you can now wear it for hours at a time .

16" cable tie straps off Ebay - £3.15 each (2x needed)
HTC Vive replacement 22mm face pad off Ebay - £3

Whats your opinion on the black smear people are talking about?

It's there, as it is with all OLED VR headsets. I notice it less running at 60hz which is weird. I don't notice it at all in Elite and with the games I play only notice it in Skyrim when I use a dark dungeon mod. If you imagine a screen which is dark grey/black you'll see what looks like a trail of black smudge as thick as your finger at arms length between the two contrasted areas, that's about as well as I can describe it.
You could go for the hammer/nut fix and just buy a LCD headset which doesn't do blacks at all and you're left with a nice mid grey milky cloud when you view a near black screen. Let's not forget that some LCD headsets have LCD ghosting, although strangely this isn't brought up much in forums.

Last edited:
Slow reply:
I notice it in the SRV on the dark side of planets a bit with lights off and occassionally at other times with it 'jumping' out at me.
Overall I don't find it to be an issue though, if there is any light elsewhere in the scene I can't see any smearing in the dark areas at all even though it should be there. I never see it around stations for example.

Look like I may be buying the Odyssey+ as my first hmd at least till maybe there a truly decent next gen one available with pimax fov but without the pimax 5k quality issues.

Right now it's hard to justify the other headsets when I can get the Odyssey+ $399cad which is 250$ off for us here in Canada.

Look like I may be buying the Odyssey+ as my first hmd at least till maybe there a truly decent next gen one available with pimax fov but without the pimax 5k quality issues.

Right now it's hard to justify the other headsets when I can get the Odyssey+ $399cad which is 250$ off for us here in Canada.
Maybe you should wait a few more months. Samsung has announced that they'll release some new headsets in following months. If they implement any of the recently patented tech, we'll very happy. They have patented HMD with 180 FOV OLED curved displays and some special lenses. Again all we know it that they'll release new hmd later this year, but man can dream :)

Top Bottom