ANNOUNCEMENT April Update - Coming 23 April 2019

I already do this every single time i jump to a star, hit the zero throttle button, and i just don't see why anyone else should be doing that.
Simple.
Some time ago with a fresh update we have got an automatic zero throttle on exit from the hyperjump. This caused a lot of complaints - commanders were afraid they will be interdicted right at that moment. With immediate submit to the interdiction because of the zeroed throttle... Also, it was incredibly annoying for those who have mastered full throttle fuel scooping. This was considered a bug poor decision and got eventually reverted back. One of the bugreports from that time - https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/games-sets-my-throttle-to-zero-on-every-jump.401971/

Pretty good update for the n00bs, and good QoL updates relating to trading for all of us.

I just hope FD have tested the auto [un]docking enough so it doesn't head plant new players into the side of the station and straight back to a re-buy screen...
I might wipe my save to join the Nursery and help the toddlers.

Very nice changes, I'm really looking forward to it.

Probably asked, not sure but: one thing I noticed was that starting a new game didn't give you an option for PG, Open or Solo. It defaulted to Open.
I am now forced to wonder if the new player experience forces you into Open, or was that just not available on that build?

Just watched the stream. Leaning hard on the icons I see. I love the contextually relevant information in the trade screens and galmap. Couple of extremely important suggestions:

Fines vs Bounties: I would really, REAAAALLLY appreciate it if we could have different icons for FINES vs BOUNTIES. Knowing, at a glance, which systems and stations will try to MURDER you vs which systems and stations will ask you to please pay the equivalent of a parking ticket, would be helpful. I don't think these two extremely different situations should be conflated with one single red "scales" icon. Maybe make the "fines" icon yellow or something?

Similarly, it would be nice to have these icons on the galmap, system map, jump countdown, and not just in the side panel.

Mapped vs Unmapped: please make an icon for this in the left hand panel. It's nice that the information is available after drilling down, but it should be visible at a glance. This is much more immediately pertinent and actionable information than any of the things you've just added icons for, like all your "what activities to do" icons for example. Bonus points for adding mapped vs unmapped to the System Map screen and Orrery.

Good stream, looked professional & slick.

The only part that caused a raised eyebrow was the throttle behaviour rules & how they will apply to a HOTAS where you set & forget rather than pressing to change. We have had zero throttle on system entry before & I remember it being more annoying than helpful. I can understand why it might be applied with the new automation, but not universally. We'll see.

Just got back from the livestream and everything looks great!
However, i really really want the automatic dethrottle at a star to be a default setting, not requiring any module.
That is the only part of it I would like to have, everything else of it is not for me.

I already do this every single time i jump to a star, hit the zero throttle button, and i just don't see why anyone else should be doing that.
I would like to use that one small module slot for something else, so it would feel like a waste to install the supercruise assist just so it can press one button for me!
I would like to have the old functionality back. While nice, I don't want or need a manual toggle. I would like the ship to throttle down if I am alt-tabbed out of the game, but keep the throttle up if I am in the game. That was the most helpful configuration out of all the permutations this feature has gone through. If my ship makes a jump while I'm typing a forum post, I want it to stop moving forward and NOT crash into the sun. If my ship makes a jump while I have the game window on top, then I'd like it to maintain throttle.

Some of the more predatory Cmdrs in game already seem interested, looking at being in or around to welcome the new pilots exiting their "protected" systems into the main galaxy, ;) and since the new ships will likely not have access to fully engineered FSD, there may only be a handful of systems they might reach. It might be interesting to see what the odds are on it becoming, Boom! Bang! It's wake up time and welcome to the real ED game have a nice day Y'all!
How is this PvP wanker bum nuggetry even a possibility when PG and Solo modes exist??

Apparently the concept of logging into either of these instances to "escape" being a ganker's emergent gameplay didn't occur to said ganker. Or any loser vet PvP ganker who got their Elite rank from "get gud" griefing/bullying weaker n00b players. Whenever a new Cmdr is ready to depart said space nursery system, all they need do is logout of Open and back into either two of these modes.....

Any PvP Elite rank Cmders who plan on making this their new emergent style of game play, sure have some serious self confidence issues. And may be in dire need of psycho therapy for potential sociopath tendencies.... :LOL:

How is this PvP wanker bum nuggetry even a possibility when PG and Solo modes exist??

Apparently the concept of logging into either of these instances to "escape" being a ganker's emergent gameplay didn't occur to said ganker. Or any loser vet PvP ganker who got their Elite rank from "get gud" griefing/bullying weaker n00b players. Whenever a new Cmdr is ready to depart said space nursery system, all they need do is logout of Open and back into either two of these modes.....

Any PvP Elite rank Cmders who plan on making this their new emergent style of game play, sure have some serious self confidence issues. And may be in dire need of psycho therapy for potential sociopath tendencies.... :LOL:
You missed the trick: these gankers (trying to) make Open a religion. :p

It is sad to see how many people take the "glass half empty" view of the world. I confess, I still use FA-on when I fly, & will probably avail myself of Supercruise assist if I have a 250kls-500kls journey ahead of me-so I can safely take toilet/coffee breaks. Does that make me a "lazy newb" too? :p

I don't understand what does it mean to enter the orbit with this supercruise assistant - I guess it will be some safe orbit, but will it be a kind of synchronous orbit, or a short-period - what would be the actual orbital parameters for the actual celestial bodies? I like to fly low over the terrestrial planets, but not over the Neutron star, of course.

It is sad to see how many people take the "glass half empty" view of the world. I confess, I still use FA-on when I fly, & will probably avail myself of Supercruise assist if I have a 250kls-500kls journey ahead of me-so I can safely take toilet/coffee breaks. Does that make me a "lazy newb" too? :p
What's wrong with using FA ON during normal flight? I use it and I'm not ashamed to say so. I don't eschew technology when helps me There is a time and place for full manual, lining up for docking, passing through the mail slot, turning in combat. But for other situations, going full manual just makes extra work for you. You think the Astronauts use full manual control all the time? Please. They let the computer dock with the space station (of course they are supervising the computer and ready to take over at an instance notice if something goes wrong), but they still let the computer do it. And they are professionals.

What's wrong with using FA ON during normal flight? I use it and I'm not ashamed to say so. I don't eschew technology when helps me There is a time and place for full manual, lining up for docking, passing through the mail slot, turning in combat. But for other situations, going full manual just makes extra work for you. You think the Astronauts use full manual control all the time? Please. They let the computer dock with the space station (of course they are supervising the computer and ready to take over at an instance notice if something goes wrong), but they still let the computer do it. And they are professionals.
Never said there was a problem, but people have an issue with Super-cruise assist in the upcoming update, so I just assumed they have an issue with people like you & me using Flight Assist, for the same reason.

I don't understand what does it mean to enter the orbit with this supercruise assistant - I guess it will be some safe orbit, but will it be a kind of synchronous orbit, or a short-period - what would be the actual orbital parameters for the actual celestial bodies? I like to fly low over the terrestrial planets, but not over the Neutron star, of course.
I had wondered, but in the livestream it does appear to take you into an orbit that will continue indefinitely, hands off. I really like it. Whether it meets particular scientific definitions I've no idea, but it's cool.

edit - it's reminiscent of a TNG orbit, which is all I ever wanted

I had wondered, but in the livestream it does appear to take you into an orbit that will continue indefinitely, hands off. I really like it. Whether it meets particular scientific definitions I've no idea, but it's cool.

edit - it's reminiscent of a TNG orbit, which is all I ever wanted
Seemed a bit close to be in ideal probe range, and a bit deep in the gravity well to make flying on to a station or surface base convenient (quick) if they happen to be any great distance around the planet.

FDev! Can we have a dial to pre-configure our own orbital distance, please? <3 :D

It seems that the automation of flight falls into the top of this thread. But we were also promised many of life improvements in the future, so just imagine what to expect in upcoming updates :) For those who complain about flight computers, be prepared for the worst ;)

Top Bottom