ANNOUNCEMENT April Update - Coming 23 April 2019

I'm always happy to see new content :) and all of this is no exception however:
Advanced Docking ComputerWe're adding an upgraded version of the original Docking Computer, a module designed to allow Commanders to relax, let go of their flight sticks and automatically dock in stations to the serene strings of Johann Strauss II.The Advanced Docking Computer will not only allow you to dock, but also allow you to automatically undock from a station without anxiously worrying about getting stuck inside the mail slot. Let's face it, it will also help with those embarrassing Type-10 spoiler moments!This module will also come as standard in all newly-purchased small ships. If you're starting up a new account, you will find the Advanced Docking Computer in your ship from the get-go - making it easier for you to embark and disembark from your favourite stations without colliding with the walls, landing pads or your fellow Commanders.
Don't get me wrong I think this is an excellent addition too, though don't you think it is time that the traffic controllers in the stations actually controlled the traffic! instead of just being an affectation.
When using the docking computer your ship has to wait in the queue, but that doesn't stop some other commander who doesn't use a docking computer, slipping in before you or if it comes to that an NPC doing the same which I've noticed they sometimes do.
If the traffic controller was implemented properly and you're using a docking computer you will be automatically put in the queue, but if your not using one you should be told where in the queue you are and if you jump the queue you will be fined a significant enough fine to make it not worth while jumping the queue. Of course there are always exceptions to the rule, for instance if you have reached the station after being in combat and your screen has been blown out and your running out of air then you should have the ability to convey this to the traffic controller and they will give you priority as an emergency landing.

Would you say the same if the game would have an "I WIN" button, just don't use it if you don't like it? I see this kind of moronic arguments all over the board, in various contexts, and whenever I see it I wonder why some people understand so little about good game design (some devs included). Has this meanwhile become a lost ancient knowledge?
Autopilot is not an i-Win button, and you do not need to be a gruff if you want to say something.
People can understand You without that, and can just simply disagree with You.

Would you say the same if the game would have an "I WIN" button, just don't use it if you don't like it? I see this kind of moronic arguments all over the board, in various contexts, and whenever I see it I wonder why some people understand so little about good game design (some devs included). Has this meanwhile become a lost ancient knowledge?
When you say "moronic arguments" are you talking about people comparing an autopilot to an "I WIN" button? :V

Here's a good rule of game design (a subject which I'm fairly confident you know literally nothing about): if a significant number of players want part of your gameplay to be automated, you should maybe consider just how compelling that gameplay actually is.

OK - my memory may be faulty, or perhaps I was so preoccupied with watching the station approaching rather too quickly for my liking to notice any music. One thing's certain though, I'm going to have to look for my original disk and see if I can fire it up on the Master 128, and then do the same with the 2nd processor enhanced version as well.
Oh well - I guess I should have left sleeping dogs lie. I now have one ex-M128. I think the PSU has died - certainly there we're some fairly loud cracking noises and a lot of nasty-smelling smoke. :( When I have the inclination I may investigate further and may even invest in a refurb PSU, but for now I'll have to be content with the modern version of Elite.

When you say "moronic arguments" are you talking about people comparing an autopilot to an "I WIN" button? :V

Here's a good rule of game design (a subject which I'm fairly confident you know literally nothing about): if a significant number of players want part of your gameplay to be automated, you should maybe consider just how compelling that gameplay actually is.
If you really find it that boring, then why not removing it at all instead of automating? Why playing a game at all...

Oh well - I guess I should have left sleeping dogs lie. I now have one ex-M128. I think the PSU has died - certainly there we're some fairly loud cracking noises and a lot of nasty-smelling smoke. :( When I have the inclination I may investigate further and may even invest in a refurb PSU, but for now I'll have to be content with the modern version of Elite.
:-(

If you really find it that boring, then why not removing it at all instead of automating? Why playing a game at all...
Well for one thing that would be dictating how others can play the game, which I feel is more your style. :V

Serious answer: supercruise and docking can be compelling gameplay sometimes - when you're coming in hot with no windscreen, when you're trying to evade or catch another ship, when you're smuggling, etc and wouldn't you know it? The proposed automation is actually a hindrance in all of those situations. It's all the other times when the gameplay isn't compelling (for a lot of players) that benefit from automation.

What I REALLY want is for fdev to make all the auto docking and auto undocking computers go haywire, accompanied by "What are you doing, Dave". Not too often. Just sometimes.

Or go haywire every year on the anniversary of the brexit vote.

What I REALLY want is for fdev to make all the auto docking and auto undocking computers go haywire, accompanied by "What are you doing, Dave". Not too often. Just sometimes.
It's a little thing but I do like that autodock is disabled on damaged stations. Adds a little flavour.

Serious answer: supercruise and docking can be compelling gameplay sometimes - when you're coming in hot with no windscreen, when you're trying to evade or catch another ship, when you're smuggling, etc and wouldn't you know it?
Especially docking with FA Off. Must not be such dramatic situations, it's always a challenge if you're trying to be perfect in FA Off. That has nothing to do with forcing others into the game I prefer, I just tell you that without docking in FA Off the game would have long lost its appeal to me - this alone keeps me playing for close to 8000 hours now. I feel a little pity with those who exclude themselves from what's in my opinion the best part of the game at all. But I'm not all that dogmatic as you seem to think, once in a while I also use and enjoy the DC. :D

To me this game is all about flying a spaceship. So yes, it can be exciting to dock manually in a hurry when short on air after a desperate battle with aliens has left the cockpit shattered. It can also be nice to recline in a padded chair on the bridge of your starship carrying hundreds of tons of precious metals as "the computer" does the menial work. Both are perfectly valid SF RP and I think it's good that the game offers both.

OK

You know what would make it even better for new players ?
Ensuring the vectored thrusters are bound from the get go, because new players on Xbox will know, they are not.

While I'm happy with some of the additions, I'm concerned that we're essentially being told that we're wasting our time by actually playing the game. Instead we press a couple of buttons and let the ship leave the station on its own, press a button and it targets a system, and we don't have to touch the controls until we drop out of supercruise.
When do we actually play?
Well don't use them then. Geez! Did you even read the OP?

StefanOS

I am happy with all of the additions ...

But I can't ignore that the beginner zone is only "necessary" because the current security and crime and punishment system is not up to the task.
Beginners and even experienced commanders are not save in high security systems ... as the name implies - what does this tell us?
A secure zone will help beginners - but the main problems are not addressed. New commanders will just be ganked a bit later not in their sidewinder, but in their cobra when they think they have a chance to survive a attack from a fully engineered ganker ship, or a wing of gankers.
They will be even more devastated when their better equipped adder, hauler, viper, cobra, will be shredded to pieces in 5-10 seconds in a high security system when they leave the secure zone...
The galaxy should be dangerous - but not in high security systems. And the need of special secure zones points to the real problem of the current implementation.
The designers did start a very promising try to bring the crime and punishment system to the level ED needed with good interaction of many commander's in the forum here, but at 50% of the way the efforts were just halted... and the current half backed system was implemented live...
If "high security" system had really high security beginners could start there (with lower profit in trade and missions) and stay there in a save environment. But the so called "high security " systems are "no real security" systems (talking about PvP here not NPC's) - and the new players will find it out that they are cannonfodder for engineered PvP gankers just a bit later, not in the first view hours of playing.

Last edited:
It's possible this has been answered somewhere, but I missed it. It mention medium and larger ships getting a slot. But it doesn't mention it being a size one slot like the small ships? Will they be getting a size one slot also or potentially something larger? Could an anaconda get a size 3 slot for instance? An even 800 cargo would be nice.

How safe were high sec systems in the lore. High security doesn't mean it actually makes it safe. We in the game represent the top of the top of pilots. We could logically be the exception. What did pilot fed pilots and similar usually get away with in High security secotrs in lore?

Last edited:
Thanks FDev for the new features, I think they are steps in the right direction, the veritable river of whine in this thread notwithstanding. It will be enjoyable to take my Cutter out with less stress, and the new pilot area will hopefully improve retention. Hope to see more quality of life improvements over the next few releases.

It's possible this has been answered somewhere, but I missed it. It mention medium and larger ships getting a slot. But it doesn't mention it being a size one slot like the small ships? Will they be getting a size one slot also or potentially something larger? Could an anaconda get a size 3 slot for instance? An even 800 cargo would be nice.
I believe they confirmed it's size 1, which makes sense given it's clearly intended for/in lieu of one of the two new modules.

How safe were high sec systems in the lore. High security doesn't mean it actually makes it safe. We in the game represent the top of the top of pilots. We could logically be the exception. What did pilot fed pilots and similar usually get away with in High security secotrs in lore?
If I remember correctly, in the first Elite game you had zero chances to meet a pirate in a high security system.

Would be nice. Would also **** up the balance in combat ships: you could throw a size 3 HRP in there, using that to round up resistances instead of C4 HRP, meaning you could use the C4 HRP for pure buff, getting several hundreds of hitpoints more. Or you could now maybe use the C3 HRP to counterbalance a new heavy duty fit for reactives, meaning even more hitpoints.

Or you could throw a smaller interdictor in there, meaning you get more hull integrity or speed at the cost of... nothing.

Of high sec, yeah, the game is bugged in there. High-sec interdictions of senior rank ally should be an exception, not the norm.